Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2008, 11:23 AM   #37
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
you guys gotta be kidding.. companies like Fujita and AEM build their intakes the same way as the ebay guys. There was a Fujita employee on mazda3forums.com when i owned my mazda3. He told us how the process works:
They take the stock airbox off, the look for a decent spot for a filter to be (usually as low as possible or away from the motor, etc). They make a pipe that bends and runs down to that location and they put a filter on it. They test for a CEL, and if it doesn't make one, they mass produce it. Dyno results are always fudged. They take a heat soaked car with a dirty filter and dyno it. Then they put their intake it and let it cool off and aim huge fans at it and dyno it again.
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:25 AM   #38
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
he sure as hell wasnt in r&d then...
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:28 AM   #39
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
he sure as hell wasnt in r&d then...

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:41 AM   #40
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

im sorry...i just believe in quality parts. I wont say another word.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:12 PM   #41
The Spectacle

Drives: 08 BSP LB
Its unfortunate that some people put so much emphasis on "quality" when it comes to simple parts like intakes. Tube and a filter, nothing more.

Besides, its a 102hp car. In the long run, where did your $200 parts take you? 104hp? 1-2 more MPG? If it was me, I'd buy the ebay "junk", mod it to fit if necessary, replace the filter and call it a day.

You don't ALWAYS get what you pay for.
The Spectacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:42 PM   #42
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
Quote:
They take the stock airbox off, the look for a decent spot for a filter to be (usually as low as possible or away from the motor, etc). They make a pipe that bends and runs down to that location and they put a filter on it. They test for a CEL, and if it doesn't make one, they mass produce it. Dyno results are always fudged. They take a heat soaked car with a dirty filter and dyno it. Then they put their intake it and let it cool off and aim huge fans at it and dyno it again.
I freakin knew it!!!!
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:22 PM   #43
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
lol

i didnt realise 5zigen was a "knock off"

i hate to tell you but they are far from a knock off

ive been beating the crap out of my FN01RC's on the track with no problem at all

i dont know what your talking about rust

most are made out of aluminum and as we all know that doesnt rust

this dude knows how well parts work for the yaris and doesnt even own one yet

what are you driving now? a honda civic?

this place is starting to get as bad as scion life with all the wrong knowledge
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #44
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well i have owned a civic, an rx7, my current volvo, i currently work for a volvo truck dealership in parts, was a tech for several years, im ase certified and more. not to mention i have also worked for a bmw performance shop, have built plenty of roll cages and done custom fab work. i have installed superchargers and turbos on various cars such as 2 ferrari 308gtsi models, lots and lots of bmws, custom built my own turbo kit on my volvo down to making the manifold AND the intake setup. now to the wheels, the fn01rc is a knockoff of a gram light/rays/volk wheel, it is not their original design. while it may be good quality, its not original.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:04 PM   #45
Split

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Question

Quote:
well i have owned a civic, an rx7, my current volvo, i currently work for a volvo truck dealership in parts, was a tech for several years, im ase certified and more. not to mention i have also worked for a bmw performance shop, have built plenty of roll cages and done custom fab work. i have installed superchargers and turbos on various cars such as 2 ferrari 308gtsi models, lots and lots of bmws, custom built my own turbo kit on my volvo down to making the manifold AND the intake setup. now to the wheels, the fn01rc is a knockoff of a gram light/rays/volk wheel, it is not their original design. while it may be good quality, its not original.
what happened to being only 21-years-old ?
Split is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 08:49 PM   #46
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

yeah? your point? can i not be 21?

the head mechanic at our local and only authorized ferrari repair shop is 20 years old.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:05 PM   #47
Midon
Mod Freak

Drives: 88 MR2 GT
Was layed up with internet problems. On this issue with the intakes. It really is each persons opinion. But since Our cars don't have that much displacement it really doesn't matter to me. The CAI I got off ebay for 50 buck does what it is designed to do. Move the filter to an area away from the hot air. Now I would understand if there were different materials used by the different companies. I know mine is made completely out of aluminum, true the filter that came with it is crap, and might let to much dirt pass into the engine, so what Just change the filter. All I was buying for the 50 bucks was the pipe. It is well made and hasn't thrown a CEL yet. So can the name brands make more HP I doubt it but we will never know until someone shows some dyno's with the different intakes.

My .02
Midon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 09:09 PM   #48
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

listen man, lets not make this a personal thing. by no means and i trying to put you down as a person or try to start any trouble. you original post was about how you were considering ditching your simota for an ebay intake. you asked if others have tried that intake. i have NOT tried the ebay intakes for the yaris nor do i plan on it. i have ran them on other cars only to have bad experiences due to crappy workmanship. you asked for opinions, i gave an opinion. that is all. i apologize for starting any trouble.

i agree with you midon, the only way to show anything is on a dyno. this is my first low displacement car and i know i need to not expect big gains from parts i buy regardless of brand. its going to be different for me to only get 1-4 hp from an intake vs. the 15-20 i picked up on my volvo and the 30hp and 45 torque from its exhaust too. different cars, different power numbers. im sorry for arguing.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:35 PM   #49
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
ebay intake user

I put the pictured intake on six months ago. I really like the improved midrange and top end performance. Based on its helmoltz frequency of resonance your short rams will perform better at high revs and give up some bottom end torque. The ebay unit is better designed than the stock box because the pipe is straight and long on both sides of the sensor. In theory the undistrubed flow should give a more linear consistent air mass signal to the ECM.
It is a pain to service the air filter inside the left front fender. I have 15K on the odometer and tomorrow I have to pull the filter and wash it, dry it, and recharge it with the K&N kit. With this intake and all my exhaust mods I can bang the little mill off the rev limiter quickly. This intake is much better for a straight stick than an auto. If you gotta have a brand name and color anodize go for it. When I put this on I never got a CEL. Some of the users that went with the fancier CAIs did temporarily get CELs until their ECMs could re-write the learning part of their epromms.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.

Last edited by metalshark; 11-06-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Geiser tribal knowledge of yarisworld experiences.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 01:25 PM   #50
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalshark View Post
I put the pictured intake on six months ago. I really like the improved midrange and top end performance. Based on its helmoltz frequency of resonance your short rams will perform better at high revs and give up some bottom end torque. The ebay unit is better designed than the stock box because the pipe is straight and long on both sides of the sensor. In theory the undistrubed flow should give a more linear consistent air mass signal to the ECM.
It is a pain to service the air filter inside the left front fender. I have 15K on the odometer and tomorrow I have to pull the filter and wash it, dry it, and recharge it with the K&N kit. With this intake and all my exhaust mods I can bang the little mill off the rev limiter quickly. This intake is much better for a straight stick than an auto. If you gotta have a brand name and color anodize go for it. When I put this on I never got a CEL. Some of the users that went with the fancier CAIs did temporarily get CELs until their ECMs could re-write the learning part of their epromms.
i agree but i have almost 30K

i had to flip the bumper back to get to the filter

same way on our TC too
Old 11-09-2008, 04:26 AM   #51
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post
i agree but i have almost 30K

i had to flip the bumper back to get to the filter

same way on our TC too
I had to pull the left front tire off and pull down the bottom plastic panel under the left front fender to get the air filter off for cleaning and recharging with the K&N shampoo and oil.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 10:32 AM   #52
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Split View Post
what happened to being only 21-years-old ?
Or not saying another word...

Quote:
im sorry...i just believe in quality parts. I wont say another word.
Dude, it's his car, let him do what he wants with it! You have your opinion on what goes on your car, and that's fine; but quit trying to make everyone believe you are the sole authority and final word on this! Some of us have more car experience than you have time on this planet; so no matter how much of an expert you may think you are, there are many here who know more.

You've made your point, now let it go!

Cheers! M2
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 11:49 AM   #53
Thej3sta2

Drives: Soon to be LFA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
Or not saying another word...

Dude, it's his car, let him do what he wants with it! You have your opinion on what goes on your car, and that's fine; but quit trying to make everyone believe you are the sole authority and final word on this! Some of us have more car experience than you have time on this planet; so no matter how much of an expert you may think you are, there are many here who know more.

You've made your point, now let it go!

Cheers! M2
man seriously all he had to say was YES or NO. Not 15 post of "Im a Master machanic that works on ferraris and Volvos guy that make so much money at the age of 21 and buys a F***in Yaris."

IDIOT

Last edited by Thej3sta2; 11-09-2008 at 02:03 PM.
Thej3sta2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #54
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

the thing i dont get is you normally graduate high school at 18

so this dude only has 2 years of schooling and became the head mechanic of a Ferrari dealership? He must of skipped the whole intern process, i mean i cant even teach without a 4 year degree

i know the head mechanic of a Ferrari shop and hes an old British dude, looks like an old fisherman who would jump overboard and stab a shark with a harpoon. i cant see them hiring some random 20 year old.

heres some pics of the dealership including the sub basement with some hidden treasures:

http://kustomplay.multiply.com/photo...rkham_12-28-06

more:

http://kustomplay.multiply.com/photo...ow_out_9-20-07