Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #1
Appalachian Trail 2007
 
Appalachian Trail 2007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 80
hey loren, 500snakz says its not possible to even get 48mpg so I'd give up on the 55 dream...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10642
__________________
3,441,567,453 posts BH (Before Hack)


Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #2
Bob_VT
 
Bob_VT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Trail 2007 View Post
hey loren, 500snakz says its not possible to even get 48mpg so I'd give up on the 55 dream...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10642
Uhhhhhh maybe Bailout will post a link to his gas log...... I think you will be surprised. 55 is high but 50 has been seen by many.
__________________
some people are little slinkies. . . . .they are really good for nothing. . . .but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.


Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:01 PM   #3
Appalachian Trail 2007
 
Appalachian Trail 2007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
Uhhhhhh maybe Bailout will post a link to his gas log...... I think you will be surprised. 55 is high but 50 has been seen by many.
oh I know, it's 500snakz that doesn't believe
__________________
3,441,567,453 posts BH (Before Hack)


Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
drummerboy2004
 
drummerboy2004's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 166
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Trail 2007 View Post
oh I know, it's 500snakz that doesn't believe
Well then... I think we need to put Snakz on a plane! jk

Matt
__________________

Last edited by drummerboy2004; 11-12-2008 at 09:19 PM.
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:11 PM   #5
Appalachian Trail 2007
 
Appalachian Trail 2007's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy2004 View Post
Well then... I think we need to put Snakz on a plane! jk

Matt


(Snakes on a plane...)
hahahaha yeah I got it the first time
__________________
3,441,567,453 posts BH (Before Hack)


Appalachian Trail 2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 08:59 PM   #6
drummerboy2004
 
drummerboy2004's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appalachian Trail 2007 View Post
hey loren, 500snakz says its not possible to even get 48mpg so I'd give up on the 55 dream...

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10642
55 is easy in the MT... I have an AT, and have pulled over 50 for a trip longer than 200 miles. Oh, and 48... that should be about city mileage in the MT if you drive it well enough. You can do it!

Matt
__________________
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Bob_VT
 
Bob_VT's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vermont
Posts: 1,704
here is Bailout's gas log.....
http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/2128
__________________
some people are little slinkies. . . . .they are really good for nothing. . . .but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.


Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
drummerboy2004
 
drummerboy2004's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_VT View Post
You're right...

If you "FAS it up", you can easily exceed that as well...

Matt
__________________
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #9
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,006
I'm tired of these mother uckin' snakes on this mother uckin' plane!
too many mother uckers

Alright, let's not drag Mr. 500snakes through the mud here. He'll either learn or he won't, but he has nothing to do with this thread... let's be nice to the newbs.

Quick question for those who use FAS and have a Scangauge:

I gather that I need to set my mode to "Hybrid" to get the Scangauge to work properly. If I do that, will the Scangauge then give me accurate readings even through multiple FAS sessions? (no time to really test the theory before Sunday) Or will the ScanGauge ignore some or all of the FAS session and only report the MPG that occurred while the ignition is on?
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:30 PM   #10
drummerboy2004
 
drummerboy2004's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
I'm tired of these mother uckin' snakes on this mother uckin' plane!
too many mother uckers

Alright, let's not drag Mr. 500snakes through the mud here. He'll either learn or he won't, but he has nothing to do with this thread... let's be nice to the newbs.

Quick question for those who use FAS and have a Scangauge:

I gather that I need to set my mode to "Hybrid" to get the Scangauge to work properly. If I do that, will the Scangauge then give me accurate readings even through multiple FAS sessions? (no time to really test the theory before Sunday) Or will the ScanGauge ignore some or all of the FAS session and only report the MPG that occurred while the ignition is on?
I know I shouldn't, but I have FASed in my car...
It typically stays on while you are turning off the car, and records all but whatever happens while the car is off...
This being said, it fails to record for usually <1sec...
If you have it set to hybrid, you will have no problem... My numbers usually stay accurate with FAS usage.

ADDED: Oh, and during the FAS your MPG will read over 1000, but you are actually using 0 gas, so this may lead to inaccuracies over the course of a long trip. I only use it going to long red lights.

Matt
__________________

Last edited by drummerboy2004; 11-12-2008 at 10:41 PM.
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #11
enkid
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: RI, USA
Posts: 25
You're going to find it difficult - hypermiling and keeping your overall average speed up to 45 are conflicting goals. You'll probably have to drive above the speed limit for some segments to make up for lost time and stops.
enkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:58 PM   #12
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by enkid View Post
You're going to find it difficult - hypermiling and keeping your overall average speed up to 45 are conflicting goals. You'll probably have to drive above the speed limit for some segments to make up for lost time and stops.
Yep, it will be a challenge. That's why I set it up the way I did. Where's the fun in doing something that's easy?

The plan is to P&G up to about 5 over and 10 under the speed limit in most places. (traffic permitting) The highest speed limit is 60, about half of the route is 55. The rest is slower, but will balance out. I've already segmented out the route and calculated times based on expected speeds for each segment. It works... now, if I can just stick to the plan!
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 AM   #13
drummerboy2004
 
drummerboy2004's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB Auto
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Tampa, Fl
Posts: 166
I will try and make it to a future one of these...

I have school-related things the rest of the semester

Oh, and word of advice, if you didn't think to... bring your speed average up by hauling ass (hypermiler haul 60) when you hit the downgrades, that way you do not find yourself having to do this on a lot of the flats. Then you could ride your speed down in a great-length FAS.

Hope this wasn't common sense...

Matt
__________________
drummerboy2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 10:07 AM   #14
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerboy2004 View Post
Hope this wasn't common sense...
Well, it's common sense to an experienced hypermiler. ;)

Tomorrow's the big day. Bought a roll of self-adhesive aerodynamic improver (clear packing tape) yesterday. I'll stick some of that on the car today and air up the tires. Should be good to go.
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 11:40 AM   #15
JnC
 
Drives: 00 VW Golf TDI
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
Bought a roll of self-adhesive aerodynamic improver (clear packing tape) yesterday. I'll stick some of that on the car today ...
I'd be scared of packing tape adhesive pulling off the paint when you remove it. Would suggest masking tape instead.

Best of luck!
JnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #16
metalshark
MetalShark
 
Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Mesa, AZ
Posts: 104
First go get-ya some of them Imperial gallons. The canucks have an edge there....but seriously my last trip with Amsoil 5w-20 got 39.3 MPG with cruise control set at 50% 65 MPH and 50% 75 MPH. In town before the switch to light oil my best commuting was 43 MPG for three tanks straight. I still have to "have discipline" to test for mileage after the change.
__________________
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
Loren
What?
 
Loren's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Safety Harbor, FL
Posts: 1,006
My groove. I wasn't on it.

Worse yet, my ScanGauge was lying to me. Was in a rush this morning and didn't check MPG when I filled up or I might have caught that it was off and reset it. So, I wasn't trying overly hard today (just wasn't in the mood), just did my usual DFCO coasting and gentle acceleration, similar to what I did to net 49.9 mpg before, but with about 10psi more air pressure in the tires, lower grille and foglight holes taped, right-side mirror folded and antenna removed. I did a little bit of FAS, and I did kill the engine at stop lights... figured that would have been good for a little, but it just wasn't happening.

The ScanGauge was telling me that I was getting close to 56 mpg. It peaked at 56.2 at one point, but couldn't hold it. Ended up with a 54.8 average on the first leg, 55.8 on the second leg, and 55.7 on the third leg. I thought I was doing okay... well enough to at least claim 1.5x EPA (54 mpg). Boy was I disappointed when I filled up, did the math and saw 49.92 mpg!

But, my buddy (the only other person who showed up!) had a better day in his Sentra. He's got the bad boy Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2.5 with a 6-speed. He wasn't planning to compete, but we talked last night and after he complained of never getting more than about 32 mpg out of the car, I assured him that based on the EPA figures, I was sure he could get at least 38 mpg on this trip. We talked about hypermiling techniques, and he tried a few on his drive home and found that they do indeed work... very well. He was inspired, went to bed thinking about it, and was STOKED in the morning, ready to run!

He attacked the event in his typical style. He's "all or nothing" when it comes to competition. So, he removed his back seat and some other weight (he's got the stuff unbolted already for racing), taped his grille, and proceeded to hypermile the hell out of the Sentra! He was trying WAY harder than I was, and he deserved the "win" in today's event. He returned 41.7 mpg out of a car rated at 27 mpg highway. Over 1.5x the EPA. Impressive, indeed.

He did it mostly by using FAS and extreme pulse and glide. His car has enough torque to accelerate pretty easily from 30 mph in 6th gear. So, what he did after some experimenting was accelerate up to 60-70 mph (depending on the road), kill the ignition and neutral-coast down to 30 mph (traffic permitting). He put my 10-15 mph pulse & glides to shame!

So, I guess I need to master FAS before I try another economy run.

Coolest thing today... I pretty much drove for 6 hours straight with a couple little breaks and only used 3.6 gallons of gas that I paid $2.01/gallon for. Where else can you get 6 hours of entertainment for under $10?
__________________

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 01:27 AM   #18
50MPGDream
 
50MPGDream's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 93 Camaro
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Alton, IL
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren View Post
The ScanGauge was telling me that I was getting close to 56 mpg. It peaked at 56.2 at one point, but couldn't hold it. Ended up with a 54.8 average on the first leg, 55.8 on the second leg, and 55.7 on the third leg. I thought I was doing okay... well enough to at least claim 1.5x EPA (54 mpg). Boy was I disappointed when I filled up, did the math and saw 49.92 mpg!
woah! did you get fuel at the same pump you went to last time you filled up? my SGII has never been that far off. what correction % are you at?
__________________
-Aaron
50MPGDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My progression into hypermiling BailOut General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 8 10-13-2009 06:31 PM
Yaris Color and MPG Statistics/Summary jmharn General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 21 11-19-2008 04:52 PM
Toyota Yaris MPG Review at www.mpgomatic.com aca72 Fuel Economy Forum 23 10-31-2008 03:59 PM
Am I calculating MPG correctly? YarisBlazer General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 24 08-18-2007 11:57 AM
Wow, I Got 48.57 mpg Kaotic Lazagna General Yaris / Vitz Discussion 52 05-10-2007 10:09 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:36 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.