Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #37
smofskra

Drives: 08 Flint Mica Sedan
Send a message via MSN to smofskra Send a message via Yahoo to smofskra
I have an 08 sedan with the TRD 18's and I get between 36 and 39 mpg, depending on how much highway traveling. Other than taking the snorkel off of the stock intake, there are no other performance mods.
smofskra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM   #38
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I got a striking demonstration of how much the air conditioning sucks mileage down yesterday. It was a 90° afternoon, and I had the AC turned on full blast when I left the office, something I've seldom done. There's a little stretch of 55 MPH highway before I come into town, and the speed limit drops to 45 near the bottom of a hill just before starting up again. I normally come off the gas before the advance signs that the speed limit's about to drop, and it goes into DFCO, but the hill keeps it coasting near 55 until it starts back up the slope, and the car goes way up the slope before getting down to 45. With the AC compressor maxed out, it slowed to 45 by the bottom of the hill before starting back up. Huge difference! I've heard people complain about the Yaris' AC being marginal, and it is when the car's been baking in direct sunshine in hot weather. But it draws a lot of power off and you really notice that a lot more in a little car with a ~100 HP engine than you do in a big sedan with an American V8 or turbo. I've said before that I'd be happy with the 1000cc engine, but I think it wouldn't be able to run the AC and maintain decent normal driving performance.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:58 AM   #39
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I got a striking demonstration of how much the air conditioning sucks mileage down yesterday. It was a 90° afternoon, and I had the AC turned on full blast when I left the office, something I've seldom done. There's a little stretch of 55 MPH highway before I come into town, and the speed limit drops to 45 near the bottom of a hill just before starting up again. I normally come off the gas before the advance signs that the speed limit's about to drop, and it goes into DFCO, but the hill keeps it coasting near 55 until it starts back up the slope, and the car goes way up the slope before getting down to 45. With the AC compressor maxed out, it slowed to 45 by the bottom of the hill before starting back up. Huge difference! I've heard people complain about the Yaris' AC being marginal, and it is when the car's been baking in direct sunshine in hot weather. But it draws a lot of power off and you really notice that a lot more in a little car with a ~100 HP engine than you do in a big sedan with an American V8 or turbo. I've said before that I'd be happy with the 1000cc engine, but I think it wouldn't be able to run the AC and maintain decent normal driving performance.
When I stopped using A/C my FE went up by around 10% +/-. It's a killer.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 09:21 AM   #40
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Drives: 2010 Corolla S
Got 39.29 MPG this time, but there was one trip of about 50 miles each way that was parkway driving.

I guess I ought to try doing without the A/C, but I have been using it most of the time during the last month.

Tom

P.S.

That GasSaver thing is showing me as a hypermiler now, but I don't go to all the extremes that true hypermilers do. I do drive with fuel economy in mind, but I don't utilize all the tricks that true hypermilers do.
YarisOwnersDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #41
Sodium Duck
╚══════════RN

Drives: 2008 Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Sodium Duck
If you're interested, this is the spreadsheet I made for calculating and keeping track of my MPG data.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9527
Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #42
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodium Duck View Post
If you're interested, this is the spreadsheet I made for calculating and keeping track of my MPG data.

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9527
Thanks, Sodium. That's a really nice looking spreadsheet. I have one of my own construction that is not nearly as fancy as yours, but it gives me the info that I need. Good work!

Tomster
Old 06-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #43
YarisOwnersDad
Is now a Corolla S Owner

OK, Peeps, I just got back from Illinois. ( Locked my front door, oh boy. Got to sit down and take a rest for a while. Imagination sets in, pretty soon I'm singin') Sorry, just HAD to do that.

I filled up the Yairs in Madisonville, KY, then drove up to Taylorville, IL, then on to Springfield, IL, and then back to Taylorville. The total distance was 296.3 miles, and the tank held 6.803 gallons. That calculates out to be 43.55 MPG. Not bad! I had the A/C going the whole time, drove 67 MPH on the Interstates, and I drove 62 MPH on the two lane roads.

For the trip back to KY from Taylorville, I got 42.22 MPG.

I have calculated mileage on every single tank of gas since the dealer filled it up for me the day I bought it, and my overall average MPG is 37.9. I am VERY happy with that.

Tomster