Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-11-2011, 04:07 PM   #37
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by STC View Post
Your last sentence is very telling. Indentured servitude is very appropriate terminology. I must say this new indentured servitude is in a global technocratic framework. This makes it even more difficult to break the chains, because you don't know you are chained. I will PM you.

Cheers!

Yeah well, I feel like I've taken the red pill, so to speak. It's just figuring out who exactly created this state of bondage and how we can fix it that I find a little more exacting.

I crush you like tiny clown car, because you are clown, yes?
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM   #38
TRDMarty

Drives: Polar White 2008, 3Dr HB TRD '
I wish the government would have shut down for at least 1 day.
For the 1 day they wouldn't have been able to spend any more money!!
TRDMarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 08:33 AM   #39
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRDMarty View Post
What type of work you do? You must not have a gov. job
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 11:54 AM   #40
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Drives: 09 Yaris HB 3door
Quote:
I work for a state agency and unfortunately we are already doing that, its called a "furlough" (temporary layoff from work, unpaid).
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Shinare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #41
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
Hey Jump, FYI: Did you know that the only sector in the US that is not in a recession & is hiring instead of firing people is the US government? Do you know why? Cause the government is not run like a business. Only a government entity can loose money year after year (Like the USPS which lost $8.5 billion last year) and stays open. If they did you would most likely be part of the 9% of american that are unemployed. As the private sector is suffering the public sector is flourishing.
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:32 PM   #42
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdydjded View Post
... As the private sector is suffering the public sector is flourishing.
I guess you failed to read the post directly before you own.
Now I drive a CARMINE RED METALLIC 09 Yaris 3-door!! I'm Back!!! WooHoo!! Mods done so far: Tinted windows, Viper 211HV Remote Keyless Entry, Atoto Android headunit, backup camera, steering wheel controls

Before it was totaled I drove a 2007 Black Sand Pearl 3 Door Lift-Back M/T with 49k miles. Stock Everything except for black tint, all red badges, red dash, and stealth garage door opener. Ultra-Gauge mounted on steering wheel. A1 Electric MES Central Locks and Avital 3100 Alarm system.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
I guess you failed to read the post directly before you own.
I did read what you post. But what you seem not to understand the difference between a "furlough" (temporary layoff from work, unpaid) & getting fired (permanent layoff from work, unpaid). Why should government workers not suffer the same fate as private sector workers? Why does the government not run like a business? The answer comes down to votes! You are not going to vote out of office the person who keeps you employed even though they are destroying the private sector.....
Old 04-12-2011, 04:57 PM   #44
frownonfun

i think the private sector is doing a pretty good job of destroying itself at this point. but if blaming the government for everything gives you your few minutes of hate then by all means, go for it.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:11 PM   #45
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
I did read what you post. But what you seem not to understand the difference between a "furlough" (temporary layoff from work, unpaid) & getting fired (permanent layoff from work, unpaid). Why should government workers not suffer the same fate as private sector workers? Why does the government not run like a business? The answer comes down to votes! You are not going to vote out of office the person who keeps you employed even though they are destroying the private sector.....
I take it then you are employed by a public agency? Seeing as how you know so much about it. My personal experience is that our small agency has FIRED PERMANENTLY people that we need and "retired" others in the past 3 years. In order to stem off any more losses the rest of us have to furlough every month so that we all can at least have a job.

You may think you understand how a public entity works, but you are mistaken. We all have a budget, and that budget is based on tax income. Because tax revenue is in the toilet (due to lower work force and more saving), our budgets have gotten cut back %10-%15 CUMULATIVE every year for the past 3 years. When we were barely squeaking by to begin with, it doesn't take a math genius to tell where you are going to cut your budget. Payroll is the only place you can make a dent of that magnitude. There's only so many paperclips and staples you can do without.

So tell me again, your theory on how public institutions are not affected by this recession?

Old 04-12-2011, 05:29 PM   #46
Yaristeve

Drives: 3-door hatch
Quote:
Why should government workers not suffer the same fate as private sector workers? Why does the government not run like a business? The answer comes down to votes! You are not going to vote out of office the person who keeps you employed even though they are destroying the private sector.....
Let me ask you this: when time are good why shouldn't government workers enjoy the same benefits as private sector workers? I've never heard anyone ever say, "Times are good, let's give the government workers bonuses, perks, and raises just like us!!" No, generally, it is, "Well, they chose to work in government because they want a stable job when times are bad. That is the trade-off they signed up for so they don't deserve bonuses, perks, or raises."

Well, times are bad and so it is time to collect our "perk"...
Yaristeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:39 PM   #47
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
I want to know 'who' makes all this money?

What is the end cost to 'you' no matter what your belief is: private or public sector? You know in the end we (lower and middle income class) have to pay for it in terms of a hidden inflationary tax when 'who' prints the excess of dollar bills in our economy and world economy. 'Who' is leveraging this on our poor souls? 'Who' is creating this modern serdom? The 'who' is not public or private.. it is the system of monetary control.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #48
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaristeve View Post
Let me ask you this: when time are good why shouldn't government workers enjoy the same benefits as private sector workers? I've never heard anyone ever say, "Times are good, let's give the government workers bonuses, perks, and raises just like us!!" No, generally, it is, "Well, they chose to work in government because they want a stable job when times are bad. That is the trade-off they signed up for so they don't deserve bonuses, perks, or raises."

Well, times are bad and so it is time to collect our "perk"...
Heh, I like how you put that... "Perk". :)

My perk has been that in the 9 years I have worked for the state, the legislature has voted a pay raise for state employees a whopping 3 times at between 2 and 4%. So while everyone else's paychecks are going up, ours are going down because of higher insurance rates and higher cost of living increases. (such as higher cost of food, gas etc.) Because of higher insurance rates my paycheck LITERALLY gets smaller every year, not just in relation to cost of living, but actual dollars and cents.

And yes, that's right, we have to be VOTED in a raise, we don't get one every year just because cost of living increases or even if we do an exemplary job. Do you think the legislature is going to vote us a raise when we are already cutting jobs due to payroll shortfalls. (funny tho, isn't it, that the legislature never fails to vote THEMSELVES a raise every stinking year)

*sigh* there really is no "perk" to working for the state anymore. When I started we had some of the lowest insurance costs around, and many, now gone, benefits. The only thing we still get is 3 weeks vacation per year, and if you think you can be gone that much without worrying about having a job when you get back, think again.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #49
cdydjded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinare View Post
I take it then you are employed by a public agency? Seeing as how you know so much about it. My personal experience is that our small agency has FIRED PERMANENTLY people that we need and "retired" others in the past 3 years. In order to stem off any more losses the rest of us have to furlough every month so that we all can at least have a job.

You may think you understand how a public entity works, but you are mistaken. We all have a budget, and that budget is based on tax income. Because tax revenue is in the toilet (due to lower work force and more saving), our budgets have gotten cut back %10-%15 CUMULATIVE every year for the past 3 years. When we were barely squeaking by to begin with, it doesn't take a math genius to tell where you are going to cut your budget. Payroll is the only place you can make a dent of that magnitude. There's only so many paperclips and staples you can do without.

So tell me again, your theory on how public institutions are not affected by this recession?
Your state is $17,254,404,041 in debt (http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/...a_state_budget). You are # 2 in the nation. California is # 1. Yes you state has a budget & it clearly based on the amount of debt it is in means absolutely nothing. Im a small business owner. My budget is met every month or bills dont get paid & my employees go home with out a paycheck. You state budget get blown out of the water & either it raises taxes or borrows more money it cannot repay. Reasons are many why you were "barely squeaking by". Things like pensions which are unsustainable & out of control wages. Example:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...eral-pay_N.htm
Old 04-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #50
DevilGirl

Drives: 09 3dr LB MT
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
For the govt to shut down, it would actually cost more money.

In a govt shutdown, there are quite a lot of agencies that are still running and the employees still have to report to work, but not get paid, and that's because they are "essential," such as making sure SSA recipients get their paychecks, which in most cases is their sole source of income, and not that great to begin with.

My job is one of those. Which means I would still need to commute the 2.5 hours each way, an hour of which is driving. So there's gas to put in my car, tolls to pay for, a train ticket to pay for. All for what? To not get paid?

Then of course, take into consideration all the support staff (contractors) that are needed to keep the building open for us employees to work that aren't getting paid. The cost of electricity to run the building for those shutdown days, etc.

So in reality, a shutdown is the last thing you want to have happen.

Car bought 8/7/09. Now over 89k miles of trouble free driving, other than user error!!
DevilGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:31 AM   #51
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
You mean to tell me you still have to do what you normaly do with out the pay

F^$# this man I rather go work in a strip club, Ill get a kick out of that and still get money lol
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #52
Shinare
Bronze bombshell yaris

Quote:
Your state is $17,254,404,041 in debt (http://sunshinereview.org/index.php/...a_state_budget). You are # 2 in the nation. California is # 1. Yes you state has a budget & it clearly based on the amount of debt it is in means absolutely nothing. Im a small business owner. My budget is met every month or bills dont get paid & my employees go home with out a paycheck. You state budget get blown out of the water & either it raises taxes or borrows more money it cannot repay. Reasons are many why you were "barely squeaking by". Things like pensions which are unsustainable & out of control wages. Example:
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...eral-pay_N.htm
*sigh* I guess I don't understand what you are trying to argue. You stated that govt. jobs are not affected by the recession. I've given you specific examples of how they are including the laying off of people where I work due to not having the funding due to the recession as well as furloughs for the rest of us. *shrug* Believe what you want but govt jobs are not the golden parachute you seem to think they are.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:10 PM   #53
frownonfun

the fact of the matter is shinare and others like him/her who are just going to work trying to earn a living aren't the ones who are the problem here. don't see what good can come out of demonizing gov employees. nor is there much good in trying to demonize those in the private sector. we are all worker bees fighting amongst ourselves when we should be fighting those who get us into these types of situations. the people on the top who own every thing and those in the government who enable them to do so. the country and it's states are in debt because somewhere, someplace, a select few are raking it all in. there's a recession alright, among the working class. But don't be fooled into thinking it goes any further than that.

then again i've been drinking so what do i know.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:51 PM   #54
STC
"LibertyRides!"

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3Dr LB | 2020 Stang
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
the fact of the matter is shinare and others like him/her who are just going to work trying to earn a living aren't the ones who are the problem here. don't see what good can come out of demonizing gov employees. nor is there much good in trying to demonize those in the private sector. we are all worker bees fighting amongst ourselves when we should be fighting those who get us into these types of situations. the people on the top who own every thing and those in the government who enable them to do so. the country and it's states are in debt because somewhere, someplace, a select few are raking it all in. there's a recession alright, among the working class. But don't be fooled into thinking it goes any further than that.

then again i've been drinking so what do i know.
Exactly... it is those who control the medium of exhange and the monetary rates that are getting us into these types of situations. Your last sentence I have to disagree. You actually know more than you think.

Cheers!

Most miles Tank: 538 tank/10.148 gal = 53.015 MPG / Most MPG: 54.95 MPG (ethanol) 425 tank/7.73 gal

"The evils of government are directly proportional to the tolerance of the people." -- Frank Kent
STC is offline   Reply With Quote