Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2007, 12:43 AM   #37
blake111887
Yarisonater
 
blake111887's Avatar
 
Drives: NAUTICAL BLUE 07 YARIS SEDAN
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: South Amboy NJ
Posts: 34
Send a message via AIM to blake111887
hmm, interesting progress chino, still wishin best of luck, im actually wrkin on an intake design myself until you fabricate this one lol but i cant wait to purchase this dude. again best of luck.
blake111887 is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 12:54 AM   #38
Black Yaris
der Zeck
 
Black Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
There seems to be a misunderstanding regarding the smoothness of the interior of our proposed production intake. Let me clarify.

This intake kit will include a 2" to 2" coupler, a length of mandrel-bent 2" pipe with a welded MAF mount, a 2" to 3" coupler, a VERY short length of 3" tubing that will not be visible in the system, and a filter... and the necessary clamps. Now, think about this... the first joint is on the throttle body. You have 2" pipe coupled to 2" pipe with a 2" coupler. Smooth. Second joint is 2" pipe to 3" pipe, but the coupler is cone-shaped so the airflow coming into your 2" pipe still isn't hitting a flat surface (in relation to airflow). Everything is SMOOTH. The version on there isn't and it still works like a damn charm, so I have every reason to believe the next version will be that much better! Seriously, I feel bad for you guys that you can't sit in my car for a minute and hear that engine. I've had quite a tough time keeping my foot off the floor.

I WISH I HAD A FUCKING DIGITAL CAMCORDER! Anyone in Ohio willing to hook a video up for me?

Sure, we could manufacture the plates and sell them, but then what? You guys are talking about using silicon adhesive on your permanent intakes? I can't condone this shit! All kidding aside, the real reason is this... OK, so I make the plate and weld it in and we sell them. That is 75% of the work right there... you're going to pay 75% of the price. All you're getting over that is couplings (which are cheap as hell), hose clamps (which are also cheap as hell), a length of 3" pipe (cheap) and a filter. This is why I don't see any reason to just sell the MAF plate. Leaving the filter out... that is definitely going to be an option. I guess we will probably sell the MAF tubing also, but understand you're going to be paying close to what it would cost for the whole she-bang. 75% of the research, time, effort, work, bought parts and tools... have been associated with that little length of pipe.
A) I have a digital Cam
B) I live in Ohio
__________________
Black Yaris is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 12:56 AM   #39
ChinoCharles
Banned
 
Drives: LB
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
A) I have a digital Cam
B) I live in Ohio
What are you doing tomorrow at noon? I could stand for two hours on the turnpike.
ChinoCharles is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 01:35 AM   #40
PetersRedYaris
 
PetersRedYaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 1,059
eTiMaGo, Where did you get that intake and what did you pay?
PetersRedYaris is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #41
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom
 
eTiMaGo's Avatar
 
Drives: lil red 5-door
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Posts: 7,744
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
It's cobbled together from a Simota filter and casing, and some tubing. The workshop here had the MAF holder, though I am not sure if they fabbed it themselves or it was pre-made.
__________________
The price of freedom of religion, or of speech, or of the press, is that we must put up with a good deal of rubbish.
- Robert Jackson


Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 01:53 AM   #42
ChinoCharles
Banned
 
Drives: LB
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
I'm going to Toledo tomorrow... Joe (Black Yaris) was nice enough to agree to take some video w/ sound clips of ugly Betty. Not only that, but I can stand next to the TRD intake and compare the two. NOICE!
ChinoCharles is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 10:59 AM   #43
Black Yaris
der Zeck
 
Black Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,231
Hmm... Chino, Says you are online, yet I lust talked to you a bit ago, and I am sure you are about 3/4 the way here now..... you got some crazy wireless computer set up in that Yaris of yours or something? Geuss we'll see in a few.

OH YEAH OHIO YARII MEET AT MY HOUSE TODAY
1. Black Yaris
2. ChinoCharles

Geuss that about does it for Yarii in Ohio
__________________
Black Yaris is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM   #44
ChinoCharles
Banned
 
Drives: LB
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
HUGE thanks to Joe (Black Yaris) for a nice day of talking Yarii.

He took video of ugly betty and it should be posted shortly. He has the TRD intake and I can tell you Betty sucks harder and growls louder. She's a man eater. Whether or not she actually makes power... we will know tomorrow.

Joe was nice enough to hook me up with some blue parking LED's and a black front T badge too. What a guy! Yaris owners... the coolest around.

I'll post pictures later. I'm late for work!
ChinoCharles is offline  
Old 03-10-2007, 03:51 PM   #45
Black Yaris
der Zeck
 
Black Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,231
Video will be up tonight..... I just have to figure out my wife's camera
Ya'll will be suprised one how nice this intake sounds, it don't look that bad for a prototype either
__________________
Black Yaris is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 01:20 AM   #47
ChinoCharles
Banned
 
Drives: LB
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
I crunched the numbers on my trip out to Toledo today.

First of all, my average speed was 80. I touched 115 once, other than that I kept between 80 and 85, but to be fair we'll call it 80. I drove 269 miles including a couple of short city trips afterwards that amounted to about 5 miles. I filled up before I left because I was curious to see if the intake had any effect on gas mileage. I get back and go to the station and fill up again. From what I have read around the forums, I should be looking at around 30 MPG. I fill up at 8.1 gallons.

33.2 MPG.

Now, confirm or deny my thinking on this. I haven't run this by anyone yet.

I don't know if this engine is necessarily getting colder air as the intake is placed in the engine bay, but I can say that it is getting more air. You can hear it. The MAF sensor measures this increased flow and outputs this information in the form of a high-frequency signal. The ECU reads this signal and adjusts the air/fuel ratio accordingly... it will either run rich or lean depending on what the throttle body is demanding. Cars generally fluctuate between rich and lean constantly, a fact that you will become accustomed to if you ever get an AFR gauge. Anyway, since the engine is getting more air it needs less fuel to start a combustion reaction. This is the basis of an engine... oxygen catalyzes the reaction that occurs when a spark is added to fuel. More oxygen means the car will know it needs less fuel to get going, and in this way an intake can affect gas mileage.

Also, by this logic then an intake by itself on a car is NOT a speed mod. It is an economy mod, unless you have the supporting mods to get MORE fuel into the cylinder DESPITE what the MAF is telling the ECU. This is why an adjustable fuel pump and some type of tuning software is necessary to make a true performance-oriented 1NZ, no matter how you're getting oxygen into the cylinder. (NOS, turbo, supercharger, etc)

Am I right on this?

Last edited by ChinoCharles; 03-11-2007 at 11:54 AM.
ChinoCharles is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 08:32 AM   #48
TrancosRt
 
TrancosRt's Avatar
 
Drives: 07 Silver HB Yaris
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: S Florida
Posts: 289
Can't help you with the logic Charles, but while more oxigen accounts for less fuel, you still need a fuel + oxigen mix, so there is only so much fuel you can save (if you follow my drift). However, I suck at chemistry, so ignore my comments if you want (I, like you, am a CS student... C++ rulez :P)

BTW, I'm up for one of these intakes! (Specially if you an keep it in the <=$100!).
TrancosRt is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:23 AM   #49
jdubau55
 
Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 451
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Wonder what it would cost to get some of the adapters ran at an injection molded plastics plant? If I could get my hands on an adapter I could make a quick 3D model to send out to different vendors to get a price quote on. However, there is an adapter that you can purchase at like Autozone right? It's just not available yet?
jdubau55 is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 10:26 AM   #50
Black Yaris
der Zeck
 
Black Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,231
jdubau.. you taklin abou the MAF adapter? Yeah that has to be machined, and/molded in plastic
__________________
Black Yaris is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #51
jdubau55
 
Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 451
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Why machined? Seems like a simple part. I guess putting the threads in it could be considered machining.
jdubau55 is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 11:41 AM   #52
PetersRedYaris
 
PetersRedYaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The Black Hills of South Dakota
Posts: 1,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
I crunched the numbers on my trip out to Toledo today.

First of all, my average speed was 80. I touched 115 once, other than that I kept between 80 and 85, but to be fair we'll call it 80. I drove 269 miles including a couple of short city trips afterwards that amounted to about 5 miles. I filled up before I left because I was curious to see if the intake had any effect on gas mileage. I get back and go to the station and fill up again. From what I have read around the forums, I should be looking at around 30 MPG. I fill up at 8.1 gallons.

33.2 MPG.

Now, confirm or deny my thinking on this. I haven't run this by anyone yet.

I don't know if this engine is necessarily getting colder air as the intake is placed in the engine bay, but I can say that it is getting more air. You can hear it. The MAF sensor measures this increased flow and outputs this information in the form of a high-frequency signal. The ECU reads this signal and adjusts the air/fuel ratio accordingly... it will either run rich or lean depending on what the throttle body is demanding. Cars generally fluctuate between rich and lean constantly, a fact that you will become accustomed to if you ever get an AFR gauge. Anyway, since the engine is getting more air it needs less fuel to start a combustion reaction. This is the basis of an engine... oxygen catalyzes the reaction that occurs when a spark is added to fuel. More oxygen means the car will know it needs less fuel to get going, and in this way an intake can affect gas mileage.

Also, by this logic then an intake by itself on a car is NOT a speed mod. It is an economy mod, unless you have the supporting mods to get MORE fuel into the cylinder DESPITE what the MAF is telling the ECU. This is why an adjustable fuel pump and some type of tuning software is necessary to make a true performance-oriented 1NZ, no matter how you're getting oxygen into the cylinder. (NOS)

Am I right on this?
That seem's backwards to me. I'm quite certain that if you increase airflow you must also increase fuel to keep your air/fuel ratio optimal. This is why more fuel is required with forced induction; because all a turbo or supercharger is really doing is forcing more air into the engine and the more air/fuel, the bigger the combustion. I think the main reason you see gains with a highflow intake is because it decreases resistance on the engine. Analogous to a lightened pully, less resistence leads to less power being saped away. So, the easier air can get into and out of the engine (highflow intake and exhaust), the less drag you have on the engine. I don't really know, however, this is just how I always thought it worked.
PetersRedYaris is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 11:53 AM   #53
Black Yaris
der Zeck
 
Black Yaris's Avatar
 
Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 5,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubau55 View Post
Why machined? Seems like a simple part. I guess putting the threads in it could be considered machining.
well if you are going to make it out of steel or aluminum..... you will have you machine it, be kinda hard to make it out of hand tools. Well if you were going to make it out of wood, then all you would need is some wood screws a drill and a saw :)
__________________
Black Yaris is offline  
Old 03-11-2007, 06:12 PM   #54
jdubau55
 
Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Blacksburg, VA
Posts: 451
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
I was saying make a CAD 3D model of it. Then send the CAD file to various vendors to see the cost of production. You could make it one continuous piece then. Heck no I would make a hand shaped model of it silly
jdubau55 is offline  
Closed Thread


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WR Secret Weapon Intake Dyno Tested.. WRLEO Performance Modifications 70 05-17-2007 03:00 PM
WR INTAKE SYSTEM : YOU GET $100 FOR DYNO RESULTS ! WRLEO Sponsors Classifieds Area 0 02-22-2007 10:14 AM
Reviews of Weapon*R Intake system.. WRLEO Performance Modifications 6 02-20-2007 10:12 PM
intake question and suggestions Adriaan Performance Modifications 2 01-31-2007 04:54 PM
Cold Air Intake vs. Short Ram Intake nevermorez Performance Modifications 1 01-24-2007 04:25 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:13 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.