Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-26-2006, 08:06 PM   #667
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I agree with Pars - your engine may still have some breaking-in to do. Based on my experience, mid-thirties before the first oil change isn't bad.

After close to 8,000 miles, I'm getting roughly 38-39 MPG (mixed highway/city driving).

'07 Blazing Blue 5-speed liftback (sold)
'08 Black auto liftback (sold)
'09 Carmine Red auto 4-door liftback (sold)
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #668
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam07yaris
OUCH, since it's a liftback, you guys really need that Tachometer.
Thank the gods we have those standard in our Canadian Yaris Hatchbacks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foober
And you should let your car warm up before you take off. I always let my cars or trucks warm up in idle for at least 5 minutes before I take off.
Question: I keep hearing nowadays w/ new cars, and even specifically our Yaris, you dont need to be letting your cars warm up for long periods of time.

Even 30 seconds to a minute is enough and fine? Do others dispute this?

And should I be waiting for the "COOL" engine symbol to disappear before I'm taking off and driving?

Thx for tha info

Jem
Old 09-27-2006, 07:28 AM   #669
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
OUCH, since it's a liftback, you guys really need that Tachometer.
i dont need it at all.

from the 53 pages of discussion on the other thread, the only people that "need" it are the 16yr old kids that like to race other cars with only 108hp.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:42 AM   #670
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
i dont need it at all.

from the 53 pages of discussion on the other thread, the only people that "need" it are the 16yr old kids that like to race other cars with only 108hp.

hahahahaha lol
Old 09-27-2006, 01:01 PM   #671
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by argylesocks
i dont need it at all.

Hey, I'm 21 thank you very much!
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 01:36 PM   #672
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar
Thank the gods we have those standard in our Canadian Yaris Hatchbacks!

Question: I keep hearing nowadays w/ new cars, and even specifically our Yaris, you dont need to be letting your cars warm up for long periods of time.

Even 30 seconds to a minute is enough and fine? Do others dispute this?

And should I be waiting for the "COOL" engine symbol to disappear before I'm taking off and driving?

Thx for tha info

Jem

Warming up your car especially in colder temps extends the over all life of the car...as Foober said 5mins, I personally think that's too long, you don't really need to do that, remember ideling is 0 mpg, but if its colder out it doesn't hurt to warm it up at least 30sec to a minute, but what I do if its not too cold out I start driving BUT I ease into it until the COOL light turns off, driving the car warms it up faster than it sitting there...the only times I might "race" the engine is because of traffic but I try to advoid that. Cause racing a cold engine is never good! Hope that helps or give some idea. Obviously we all have different methods and experiences in what we feel is good.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:02 PM   #673
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Warming up the engine simply is not necessary unless the temperature is below freezing. And even then a minute is more than enough to get the fluids going. Just keep the revs low until the car is warmed up and it is no big deal.
Old 09-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #674
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
If you live in cold climates you really need oil that can protect your engine during startups. Synthetic oils are the only lubricants that pump freely in really cold climates to prevent engine wear during the first seconds of starting. Dino (conventional oil) is like pancake syrup in really cold climates, which causes slow pumping at startup and lots of wear on your engine.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 05:03 PM   #675
nsmitchell

33.1MPG on this fill-up. That was with normal driving 50city/50hwy, with a few high speed spurts (80+) and some jackrabbit starts from lights. Not tooo bad... Still under 2000 miles on the ODO.
Old 09-27-2006, 05:53 PM   #676
daq421
MPG is the new cool

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan (silver) Auto
Send a message via AIM to daq421
38.1 mpg on this tank.

Thats after a 250 mile (varried type of road) drive and two days of my normal commute.

The key is (for me at least) keeping the speedo below 80mph. The mileage really (really) starts to drop off if I cruise above the 80 mark.. (3K rpm).

-Peter
Old 09-27-2006, 06:52 PM   #677
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
This past sunday I got the highest mileage I've ever had...45mpg! All highway, except begining and end. And I have an automactic! I stayed around 65mph and kept my speed consistant as possible...of course my foot was starting to fall asleep

Ironically my 1987 Van had cruise control, I know this is an econo car but at least have it as an option, I'm tempted to get an aftermarket cruise control but I don't do long drives enough to justify it...oh well I'll figure some other way to waste my money!

And on a side note I saw a red Yaris hatch on the highway! Man did it look amazing! I was super excited! Sad I know!
So that made my day.
Old 09-27-2006, 08:23 PM   #678
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK

Quote:
Previous Post
Okay I just filled up the gas.

446.8 miles @ $2.25 /gallon

total gallons 9.68

46.15 mpg
Guys I just broke my record from 434 to 446.8 and could have gone further to my actual goal which was 460 miles, DAMNIT I was that close!
Here is the pic from the fill up 2 days ago

Old 09-29-2006, 06:17 PM   #679
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Thanks for sharing the information. Please keep posting your numbers, and pictures, when appropiate.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 10:37 AM   #680
sam07yaris

Drives: 07 yaris sedan (silver) STICK
how did my post come up twice?
Old 09-30-2006, 12:57 PM   #681
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
what were you guys averages during the first couple tanks after purchase?

I have an 07 liftback and I seem to get around 300-10 on a full tank. I fill up right away after the last bar begans to blink though, should I be driving more?

I thought mpg should be better as advertised???? Should I just wait for it to be broken in longer or go to the dealer to see if anything may be wrong?

By the way I baby the car, and it sees mainly highway miles. also I always keep it under 70.

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 07:46 PM   #682
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Quote:
how did my post come up twice?
Don't know. If you like, you can delete one. Just sign in and click "edit", then click "Delete" and confirm your decision by clicking to choose "Delete Message".
Edit: Just tried it out myself. The procedure to delete is now as simple as edited above. Seems the problem has been solved already anyway.

Last edited by swng; 10-02-2006 at 01:28 AM.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:23 AM   #683
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
I am at 36.0 MPG average @ 10,100 miles. (I keep an excel file going each for all 3 of my cars.)

The car has been my mule to work and back - most of the miles came from that, where the drive is mainly highway @ 70-80 mph. I hardly ever really go past 50% throttle - I don't feel much of a need to show any muscle whatsoever while driving it really. My other car (grown-up toy) is an RX-8 afterall. Though I have found myself in situations where I've had to stand my ground with the bully-types out there.

I think I see a 1-2 MPG drop for those tankfulls primarily affected by the use of the AC. Now that it's cooling down out there and I don't hardly need the AC, I'm getting 37.1 mpg in the last month.

edit: I posted my excel graph of my MPG 10-2-06 @ 7:43pm. That's on the next page. Check it out...

Last edited by Racer X-8; 10-03-2006 at 07:47 AM.
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 08:39 AM   #684
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMyDaily
what were you guys averages during the first couple tanks after purchase?

I have an 07 liftback and I seem to get around 300-10 on a full tank. I fill up right away after the last bar begans to blink though, should I be driving more?

I thought mpg should be better as advertised???? Should I just wait for it to be broken in longer or go to the dealer to see if anything may be wrong?

By the way I baby the car, and it sees mainly highway miles. also I always keep it under 70.
Break-in time is definately a factor in MPG. I have 2200 on the ODO and my MPGs seem to be going up by about 1MPG per fillup lately. 31,32,33...
Also try switching to synthetic oil at your first oil change. Folks have been reporting increased MPGs just by doing that. Mobil-1 or Amsoil is your best bet with a good filter.