Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-22-2010, 04:24 PM   #73
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Anyone else know why clutchless shifting is bad for syncros?

Last edited by PK198105; 06-22-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: non relevant parts deleted
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:31 AM   #74
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
Anyone else know why clutchless shifting is bad for syncros?
It was just explained to you above. Synchromesh is there to help ease the transition between gear changes. The gears in the half of the transmission that can freely rotate are the ones that come into factor when you rev match and the shift lever freely slides into place. Those gears of the transmission can be freely rotating, or locked to the shaft. The synchros ensure that the speeds of the two shafts/gears are matched perfectly before letting the gears engage.

When you rev match, you are doing the work of the synchros by yourself but still putting excess force on the synchros, but if you mis-rev even slightly and still attempt to shove the shifter into gear and get an awful grinding noise, you are putting wear on not only the synchros, but the gears themselves as well. Sooner or later, you'll start wearing teeth off the gear itself, and eventually, whether or not you rev match perfectly, you will grenade that gear in the transmission. And other gears in the transmission don't like it when there is bits of broken gear roaming freely.

By all means, if you think you can rev match perfectly each and EVERY single time, go nuts. It's not my synchros you're eventually going to destroy. It's yours. So if giving your left leg an exercise during a drive is not worth it to you, then best of luck footing that new transmission bill. You probably should've invested the extra money in an automatic Yaris anyway, if that's the case.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #75
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
It was just explained to you above. Synchromesh is there to help ease the transition between gear changes. The gears in the half of the transmission that can freely rotate are the ones that come into factor when you rev match and the shift lever freely slides into place. Those gears of the transmission can be freely rotating, or locked to the shaft. The synchros ensure that the speeds of the two shafts/gears are matched perfectly before letting the gears engage.

When you rev match, you are doing the work of the synchros by yourself but still putting excess force on the synchros, but if you mis-rev even slightly and still attempt to shove the shifter into gear and get an awful grinding noise, you are putting wear on not only the synchros, but the gears themselves as well. Sooner or later, you'll start wearing teeth off the gear itself, and eventually, whether or not you rev match perfectly, you will grenade that gear in the transmission. And other gears in the transmission don't like it when there is bits of broken gear roaming freely.

By all means, if you think you can rev match perfectly each and EVERY single time, go nuts. It's not my synchros you're eventually going to destroy. It's yours. So if giving your left leg an exercise during a drive is not worth it to you, then best of luck footing that new transmission bill. You probably should've invested the extra money in an automatic Yaris anyway, if that's the case.

-SAV
Ok, so say I'm at 60 mph. I know that third gear falls around 4kish rpm. If I revved to 5, and pushed the gear into third and waited for the revs to drop till 4. Then thrid gear would take it. Is that still bad?

I understand how that'll be bad for the gears it self, but wouldn't that take the work off of the syncros?

Btw, idk what the other guys problem was. I just wanted an answer like this.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:07 AM   #76
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok guys last 9 posts, not really on topic so i'll soft delete them ok. now kiss and make up, oh and not really nice to be critiquing someone's language skills if their native tongue is not English.
I never said anything about his language. He said poof. I assumed he meant PROOF. So I stated I did.

Then he told me to learn German. I told him I'm not trying to speak German on a German site. I didn't mention the fact he spelled telephone wrong. I knew what he meant. POOF was funnier than telefone or w/e he used.

Why am I not nice?
Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 AM   #77
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:
Ok, so say I'm at 60 mph. I know that third gear falls around 4kish rpm. If I revved to 5, and pushed the gear into third and waited for the revs to drop till 4. Then thrid gear would take it. Is that still bad?

I understand how that'll be bad for the gears it self, but wouldn't that take the work off of the syncros?

Btw, idk what the other guys problem was. I just wanted an answer like this.
If you rev'd to 5K and tried shoving it into gear (because it wouldn't just slot right in), it wouldn't go in unless you forced it. If you succeed in forcing it, that's where the wear on your synchros and gear grinding comes in. Hence why the people above mentioned why you have to be absolutely spot on with your rev-matching.

Now if you know that 60 mph is about 4K in 3rd gear (I wouldn't know for sure, my Yaris doesn't have a tach) and held the car at exactly this engine speed in neutral with the gas pedal, then yes. The gear lever should slot right into 3rd gear with no problem. This action of being correct is not really a problem. It's much easier to upshift without the clutch than it is to downshift. It's the fact that every single human being will eventually blip the throttle wrong, mis-shift and force it in, causing excess wear on the synchros since the gear speed and output shaft speed are not correctly matched. Forcing it all the way in will just get gears grinding, just as what happens when missing a shift like we all did once upon a time when we were noob stickshift drivers.

Bottom line, you can try it and you can even become good at it. But that doesn't change the fact that our cars come with clutch pedals for a reason.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:52 AM   #78
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
If you rev'd to 5K and tried shoving it into gear (because it wouldn't just slot right in), it wouldn't go in unless you forced it. If you succeed in forcing it, that's where the wear on your synchros and gear grinding comes in. Hence why the people above mentioned why you have to be absolutely spot on with your rev-matching.

Now if you know that 60 mph is about 4K in 3rd gear (I wouldn't know for sure, my Yaris doesn't have a tach) and held the car at exactly this engine speed in neutral with the gas pedal, then yes. The gear lever should slot right into 3rd gear with no problem. This action of being correct is not really a problem. It's much easier to upshift without the clutch than it is to downshift. It's the fact that every single human being will eventually blip the throttle wrong, mis-shift and force it in, causing excess wear on the synchros since the gear speed and output shaft speed are not correctly matched. Forcing it all the way in will just get gears grinding, just as what happens when missing a shift like we all did once upon a time when we were noob stickshift drivers.

Bottom line, you can try it and you can even become good at it. But that doesn't change the fact that our cars come with clutch pedals for a reason.

-SAV
Well, some cars come with other crap nobody ever use sometimes.

Sorry of my questions seem like I'm trying to prove you wrong. I'm just trying to figure it out.

Btw, the gear accepts the shifter because its the right RPM range. Theres no grinding as it goes it. It just goes POP and takes it in. And only at the right RPM range, consistently.

Now, you may be right, but I think its kinda hard to mis shift w/o the clutch, seeing as the gates won't open if you're at the wrong speed range.

Anyways, long story short. Syncros are used to match difference in speeds on the clutch and the different gears. But if you go clutch-less, and use the engine to act as syncros, how would that put wear on the syncros?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:55 AM   #79
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

Quote:
But if you go clutch-less, and use the engine to act as syncros, how would that put wear on the syncros?
Because you're not going to perfectly match the speed, and the synchro has a bigger job matching the transmission input shaft plus the massive flywheel and rotating assembly of the engine than just the free floating input shaft and friction disc of the disengaged clutch.

But if you think you can do it better without the clutch than with it, go ahead, wear it out. Don't come back here later complaining about Toyota's low quality transmission that tore up.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 09:57 AM   #80
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
For those of you who want to try clutchless shifting:

Accelerate to 15-20 mpg in first. Take your foot off the gas. Wait a couple of seconds then move the shifter into second. You dont do this quickly. Slow is best although it may seem counterintuitive. Use a firm motion.

Accelerate to whatever speed you customarily use for the appropriate gear. If you think you need to do better experiment by 1) varying the speed from which you shift. 2) vary the lenth of time before shifting after letting off on the gas.

Its possible to downshift too. Again, let off on the gas, shift to neutral (should be easy to do that) then blip the throttle and make your shift. It will be more challanging than up shifting but practice a little and youll get it. Maybe take a week between attempts?

Good Luck!

Last edited by bronsin; 06-23-2010 at 01:53 PM.
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #81
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Quote:

Btw, the gear accepts the shifter because its the right RPM range. Theres no grinding as it goes it. It just goes POP and takes it in. And only at the right RPM range, consistently.
That 'pop' right there is wear on the synchros. If you do it EXACTLY correct, it slides right in with no noise whatsoever. The 'popping' noise is the synchros acting against the force of the shifter sliding into place without the use of the clutch pedal and this action is what wears them out. Sooner or later, you'll get grinds when shifting even when you do use the clutch pedal. Think Honda's 6-speed manual problems in the Acura RSX and Honda Civic Si. I'm not a fan of my shit popping out of gear under normal usage/acceleration, so that's why I'm not a fan of constant clutchless shifting.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #82
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
That 'pop' right there is wear on the synchros. If you do it EXACTLY correct, it slides right in with no noise whatsoever. The 'popping' noise is the synchros acting against the force of the shifter sliding into place without the use of the clutch pedal and this action is what wears them out. Sooner or later, you'll get grinds when shifting even when you do use the clutch pedal. Think Honda's 6-speed manual problems in the Acura RSX and Honda Civic Si. I'm not a fan of my shit popping out of gear under normal usage/acceleration, so that's why I'm not a fan of constant clutchless shifting.

-SAV
Oh, I didn't mean it went POP. I meant as in, it just pops in there.
Old 06-23-2010, 01:42 PM   #83
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
Because you're not going to perfectly match the speed, and the synchro has a bigger job matching the transmission input shaft plus the massive flywheel and rotating assembly of the engine than just the free floating input shaft and friction disc of the disengaged clutch.

But if you think you can do it better without the clutch than with it, go ahead, wear it out. Don't come back here later complaining about Toyota's low quality transmission that tore up.
Shiet.... that makes total sense. Thats all I needed to know. Don't get all mad at me.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:39 PM   #84
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

I'm not mad at you.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 AM   #85
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
I'm not mad at you.
Ok. Cause what you said made total sense, not just, "ITS BAD CAUSE I SAY SO, AND U CAN DO IT AND RUIN EVERYTHING AND U SUCK KTNKSBYE."
Old 06-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #86
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
ok, so i have been shifting without a clutch basically since i got my car. the only gear i use a cluch it from 1st to 2nd, that is a must, u mess up there too much and its gonna be a tow truck home.

like it was said above, if u do it improperly u will mess it up......if u do anything improperly (including improper shifting WITH clutch) u will mess shit up.

i personally feel its smoother without the cluch but thats how i learned how to drive stick.

watch those informational youtube videos if u dont know how to do it, he explains it really great.
Old 06-26-2010, 05:35 AM   #87
ddongbap
Banned

But Hilton puts out a good point. The Syncros are going to try to sync while the clutch is connected to the engine. It will try to spin, but it can't spin the engine. That's a sure recipe for some DIZZ ASS STAAA
Old 06-26-2010, 05:37 AM   #88
ddongbap
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
ok guys last 9 posts, not really on topic so i'll soft delete them ok. now kiss and make up, oh and not really nice to be critiquing someone's language skills if their native tongue is not English.
Soo.. was I making fun of the guy's langauge?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:24 AM   #89
mark293

Drives: 2007 THREE DOOR 5 SPEED
Wow, never thought this post would go this long. I gave up a long time ago and just decided to peek my head in here. Yall be safe.
mark293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 11:11 AM   #90
Billiam

Drives: '10 White Yaris 4D LB
Wow...is this an oil thread?
Billiam is offline   Reply With Quote