Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #91
kurokoma-kun

Drives: 2007 Yaris HB
j/k you dopes, the truth is i every last one of you, almost as much as the yaris itself
kurokoma-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #92
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurokoma-kun View Post
j/k you dopes, the truth is i every last one of you, almost as much as the yaris itself
We you too, oh boosted autocrossing one.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 03:25 PM   #93
kurokoma-kun

well, i hate to be brutal charles, just dont be dishing out the s/c hate if you are gonna cry just because poopie brought up your bolt problem.. instead why don't you get us some ink in that newspaper you work for... please?

not to single you out that goes for all of you... Yaris Pride y'all
Old 04-25-2009, 03:28 PM   #94
ChinoCharles
Banned

Turbo on Ebay - $150
Tamago's manifold $75
HKS SSQV BOV $160
TiAL wastegate - $260
Some generic intercooler - $75
Couplers, pipe - $150
E-mamage blue - $300
Exhaust - depends... lets say $500

Total: about $1700?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:34 PM   #95
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Honest question: how much professional help is likely to be needed, for the average person, and how much does that cost? As Tamago pointed out, lots of folks (like Garm) need/want help with their projects.

Another hypothetical question: for the "innovator" level, what do you all think is an acceptable failure rate for mods (knowing you may lose money but will gain valuable knowledge if nothing else). I see people saying you got pay to play, but for this car how far is "too far"?
Old 04-25-2009, 03:36 PM   #96
ChinoCharles
Banned

Quote:
Honest question: how much professional help is likely to be needed, for the average person, and how much does that cost? As Tamago pointed out, lots folks (like Garm) need/want help with their projects.
Its a lot of work, won't lie. Lots of flanges, lots of welding, but with proper preparation and documentation and all of the parts on hand and in front of you I don't see any reason why an install couldn't take place in a weekend. What do you think Tamago? You did it.

Also, that isn't counting the tune, which would likely take a day on its own.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:55 PM   #97
Nexus1155
Bathroom + Laptop = <3

Drives: Audi
Send a message via AIM to Nexus1155
lol I know this is in the wheels section, but the thread is labeled as it is so youre going to get the spill over...

Also, you've seen people not warm up / cool down the turbo... thats not the turbos fault, thats drive stupidity and error. A turbo kit like Tamagos can be had for damn cheap, you dont even need much piping, you can just use silfab flex hose and it holds the psi fine for the cold side. Hot side you wold need pipe obviously.

The only thing on this car that is rocket science is the ECU, which you can get around with some tinkering.
Nexus1155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:00 PM   #98
ChinoCharles
Banned

^^ Hopefully.

The thread will revert back to suspension and traction discussions once the normal members come back. Its a nice Saturday, we're the only suckers here.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:13 PM   #99
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Turbo on Ebay - $150
Tamago's manifold $75
HKS SSQV BOV $160
TiAL wastegate - $260
Some generic intercooler - $75
Couplers, pipe - $150
E-mamage blue - $300
Exhaust - depends... lets say $500

pick up a stock Bosch diverter valve from an A4 for $40, skip that SSQBOV noise.. ;)

oh and save yourself money and buy an internally wastegated turbo.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #100
ChinoCharles
Banned

There ya go... $1600.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:19 PM   #101
Tamago

Quote:
Its a lot of work, won't lie. Lots of flanges, lots of welding, but with proper preparation and documentation and all of the parts on hand and in front of you I don't see any reason why an install couldn't take place in a weekend. What do you think Tamago? You did it.

Also, that isn't counting the tune, which would likely take a day on its own.
my build took me about 4 months iirc. total build time was almost a year. the car was down for 6 weeks, wheels in the air: that's a long time, and here's why....

i spent a lot of time waiting for good parts deals to come along as the need arose. for instance, i didn't have all the parts gathered because i simply didn't know what all parts i actually would need!

i skimped in places i shouldn't have (used 1/4" plate for my uppipe flanges instead of 3/8:) and some of my engineering was just... not strong enough. cracked a few welds, went thru a TON of my own home made copper exhaust gaskets (between manifold and uppipe) and i'll attribute that to using too-thin plate for that flange. it was warping under heat, causing hot spots and burning up the copper.

if i were to do it again, knowing what i know, i'm confident that i could even have a custom setup done in a weekend, given the starting point is friday afternoon, and the ending point is sunday night, at least 12 hr days. gotta give your eyes a rest from welding.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:20 PM   #102
Tamago

Quote:
There ya go... $1600.
ummm, delete ssq bov and tial wastegate, add $40, that adds up to 1300...

i'd recommend a wideband and some larger injectors in the mix.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:24 PM   #103
ChinoCharles
Banned

Good point. Forgot about that. You make the list.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:36 AM   #104
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Personally FI on this car is of no interest to until someone cracks the ECU, otherwise you will fail the OBDII and have terrible gas milage.

The car has plenty hp for me, what I am interested in know what $= howmany lateral g's.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #105
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
what I am interested in know what $= howmany lateral g's.
it's already been covered.
you nailed it sir.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:30 AM   #106
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
No there's just one data point when expensive coil-overs and slicks.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 09:00 AM   #107
kurokoma-kun

Quote:
Personally FI on this car is of no interest to until someone cracks the ECU, otherwise you will fail the OBDII and have terrible gas milage.
I have 5 months of records that show my gas mileage actually improved a bit.

I was concerned about emissions so I took the car to a trusted exhaust shop for a check. The owner told me there was no reason why I should fail the test.

When you get your parts on regal, I hope you'll be able to gather some more data for us. Unlike the civic (or miata, etc) this car is new to the US market and fewer buyers are interested in immediate performance gains, so little testing has been done so far.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:54 AM   #108
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
No there's just one data point when expensive coil-overs and slicks.
And you completely and totally missed the point. You can't equate parts to G's. The parts all have to work together, the car has to be set up properly, the driver has to know how to drive it properly, and the TIRES are a huge part of the equation.

If you want easy (and largely inaccurate) answers... you should have stuck with the Honda community. Just because someone says "this combination is good for .9 G" and "that combination is good for 1.05 G" doesn't mean that it's TRUE. Don't be a sheep, do your own research and experimentation. You don't necessarily need to be an "innovator" like Tamago says, but... do your research and learn about things.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote