Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Do you think the wind plays with your Yaris
Cops think I'm drunk when driving vs. wind 49 54.44%
My Yaris drives straight like an arrow 19 21.11%
Who cares, cause I don't 22 24.44%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2008, 07:36 PM   #91
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Mine used to do that. But wheni put on the trd swaybar it seemed to go away. Once i put the trd springs on it i never had this problem anymore no matter how fast im going
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:28 PM   #92
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Try to fill up your windshield washer fluid and gas to full on windy day and see if it happens again.

Windshield fluid add weight to the front and gas add weight to the rear.
Combined = stable ride on cross windy day.

I feel my car is quite heavy after I top up those 2 to full. Try it and you will feel the difference!!

By the way, our yaris is very aerodynamic from the front side but not for those cross wind.

Last edited by Ryu; 11-04-2008 at 09:39 PM.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:31 PM   #93
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
How about slowing down lol.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 PM   #94
Stargate YARlantIS

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
How about slowing down lol.
lol....or speed up! jk

Peace, Love and Good Smoke!
--Tommy Chong
Stargate YARlantIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:36 PM   #95
Ryu

Drives: Copper Orange Mica Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate YARlantIS View Post
lol....or speed up! jk
Haha, that would be another subject
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:17 AM   #96
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
haha slowing down would result in a semi rear ending my poor yaris, its a two lane highway and if your that one slow person your more than likely gonna cause trouble for everyone else. Although I dont mind going slower, I often take the business route which is 5-10 mph slower than the normal highway, just to save gas.

and my tank and washer fluid (not much weight?) were both full.
It may very well be the road I travel the crappiest part of I-40 in the state twice a day, what do i expect. glad they voted for the road improvement bond in my state, hopefully I wont have to worry about it much longer.
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:25 AM   #97
drbilal

Drives: BELTA SEDAN
swaybar and/or drop is ur answer
drbilal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:47 AM   #98
MUSKOKA800

Drives: Scion FRS RS2, ‘21 Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Mine used to do that. But wheni put on the trd swaybar it seemed to go away. Once i put the trd springs on it i never had this problem anymore no matter how fast im going
My experience exactly. Add a TRD swaybar and most of your shifty cross-wind issues will be resolved. And your general handling will be vastly improved as well. I've said it before on this forum, the TRD swaybar should be factory installed on every Yaris (the sedan for sure), for safety sake.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #99
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Im starting to think its the ridges in the road from the big rigs. Maybe cause the yaris isnt that wide, and its falling into the ridges kinda funny, so when I move slightly from left to right it tugs? maybe? no?
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:41 PM   #100
Latka

Drives: 0x Yaris Hatchback
Sounds like "tramlining" to me. Certain vehicles / wheel & tire combos seem more prone to it - but you got it. Following the traction grooves in the highway.
Latka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:48 PM   #101
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
its the wind.. has happened to me forever... when hurricanes come... It sucks to drive on the highway... its like... i go above 55 and i gotta hold the steering wheel like its about to explode if i loosen slightly.. i almost crashed the 1st time it ever happened to me.. caught me off guard and threw me a lane over fast.. But yeah.. Sway bar and dropping it will definitely solve your problem!

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:02 AM   #102
helphelp911

Drives: yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSKOKA800 View Post
My experience exactly. Add a TRD swaybar and most of your shifty cross-wind issues will be resolved. And your general handling will be vastly improved as well. I've said it before on this forum, the TRD swaybar should be factory installed on every Yaris (the sedan for sure), for safety sake.
For the swaybar, should i need to install the TRD shocks/spring in order to see its effect?

Will stock + swaybar keep the car stable on highway with some wind?
helphelp911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:21 AM   #103
NJBob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latka View Post
Sounds like "tramlining" to me. Certain vehicles / wheel & tire combos seem more prone to it - but you got it. Following the traction grooves in the highway.
+1 Our Route 295 is deeply rutted from so many tractor trailers over the years and will pull you from side to side. It's a 3 lane hwy and the middle lane is the worst. My '98 Neon had the same problem.
If it's the wind than there's not much you can do but slow down and hold on with both hands. I mean do you have the problem when it's NOT windy?
NJBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:56 AM   #104
Cutie Pie #2

Drives: 2014 Honda CR-V LX
Sway bar and wider tires, like I just did.
Cutie Pie #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 08:01 AM   #105
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Know how you guys feel. Most fwys here are unevenly surfaced. Sometimes I feel like I have to white-knuckle the wheel while doing 80, especially on windy days. The short wheel-base and track of the LB isn't well-suited for these conditions. Someday I'll get my TRD suspension upgrade to handle this...

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #106
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Quote:
Originally Posted by k r a y z e e . j o j o View Post
Know how you guys feel. Most fwys here are unevenly surfaced. Sometimes I feel like I have to white-knuckle the wheel while doing 80, especially on windy days. The short wheel-base and track of the LB isn't well-suited for these conditions. Someday I'll get my TRD suspension upgrade to handle this...
The car has a crappy, rubbery strut front end that doesnt hold alignment too well. So that alignment has to be good. That said, make sure you dont have TOO MUCH air in the rear tires as this makes this car REALLY twitchy - I run no more than 26-28 psi on the stockers out back. And no more than 29 -31 in the fronts. IN the Operating range, the less air in the tire, the slower the steering response will be - Sport Motorcycle riders might know this. OTW, MORE aerodynamic shape means MORE response to wind directional changes - not less. My old Fiat 128 3dr (weighed 700lb less than yaris) was a box-on-box brick and was NOT affected by wind at all. Went 100mph all day - Just one hand on the tiller. In the Yar 3dr, I just pretend we are flying a PiperCub and go with the flow as they say - the bro

Last edited by TheSilkySmooth; 02-03-2009 at 09:38 AM. Reason: clar
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:46 AM   #107
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
a Wide tyre is NOT good on a lite car. The stock are too big as it is. Car needs 165-70R 14's MAX - the rest of the rubber is wasted - and can cause nasty hydroplaning and increased rolling resistance. Big tyres are a joke, all looks and NO function on a stock rubbery suspension. I know you all want that hot-wheels look. Looks supercede function in this silly USA. -Papa
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM   #108
MUSKOKA800

Drives: Scion FRS RS2, ‘21 Crosstrek
Quote:
Originally Posted by helphelp911 View Post
For the swaybar, should i need to install the TRD shocks/spring in order to see its effect?

Will stock + swaybar keep the car stable on highway with some wind?

Yes, just the swaybar makes a world of difference. Much more confident feel at highway speeds.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote