Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2009, 10:33 PM   #91
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Drives: トヨタ Vitz
good to hear. It gets closer and closer in solving how the two clusters work on USDM cars.

I meant no rush by my previous comment. I just had a thought and usually I like to prepare myself for worse case scenario.

Enjoy your weekend Birthday guy.
Kioshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM   #92
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
I have the speedo working, but still can't get the odo correct. So far it either increments way too slow or way too fast.
From the OZ thread....

Around what estimate would it be that the odo is increasing too fast? If I have to change my oil sooner than 5000 miles...lets say at +/-1200 miles...i wouldn't mind. I just switched to Eneos 0w-20 oil for my car, it can go 10k before changing the oil...so just curious now~
Old 10-29-2009, 09:56 PM   #93
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You wouldn't want it in the high speed mode. The two modes I've been able to achieve so far are ~ .1 km per hour and ~.1 km per second.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:04 PM   #94
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
You wouldn't want it in the high speed mode. The two modes I've been able to achieve so far are ~ .1 km per hour and ~.1 km per second.
.1km per second is pretty fast, understood. What would be manageable then? In the hundredths or tenths digits ~.0025 km per second, if that's possible to get that low....
Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #95
CTScott
ULTIMATE

I'm not sure yet. The two that I've run into so far were achieved by experimenting with values that I captured from my 09. I really need to figure out the algorithm that is used for the values. I am thinking that it is related to bus timing between message transmissions.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #96
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

I just wanted to throw this on here.

On Friday night, computerlove87 was kind off to let us take out his 09 Yaris S cluster to try onto advocate's 06 Yaris non ABS. To our surprise, the cluster works. The speed was give or take +/- 1-2 mph difference when advocate and I did a 20 mph side by side comparison run....

ABS light stays on but the speedometer works fine and the odo works correctly according to advocate.

CTScott, I was windering does the odo increasement really matter...because, talking to some people and knowing that the RS cluster does not have a maint. light on it..it wouldn't matter for me to be to be keeping track of when to oil change...I dont know?

Or if you've made progress on the odometer at this moment...
Old 11-15-2009, 07:51 PM   #97
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioshi View Post

On Friday night, computerlove87 was kind off to let us take out his 09 Yaris S cluster to try onto advocate's 06 Yaris non ABS. To our surprise, the cluster works. The speed was give or take +/- 1-2 mph difference when advocate and I did a 20 mph side by side comparison run....

ABS light stays on but the speedometer works fine and the odo works correctly according to advocate.

CTScott, I was windering does the odo increasement really matter...because, talking to some people and knowing that the RS cluster does not have a maint. light on it..it wouldn't matter for me to be to be keeping track of when to oil change...I dont know?

Very interesting. It sounds like on 09s they may have gone back to the speedometer being fed from the speed sensor, rather than from the ECM by way of the ABS speed sensors.

The issue with having the ODO not increment would be that you'd have no idea as to how many miles you've driven (for maintenance purposes) and of course you wouldn't be able to sell the car with the non-functioning ODO in it.

I'm still trying to figure this out, but I think what you found with the 09 cluster may mean that I am chasing my tail. I've been trying to emulate my 09 ECM talking to my 09 cluster. I think I need to sniff the CAN bus on an 08 with ABS to see if the message structure is different (which based on the above, I am 99% sure it will be). Enviri lives fairly close to me and he has an 08 with ABS, so his car would be perfect.
Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #98
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
Quote:

we knew it work already, somebody on the board swapped there cluster out a while ago when they first offered the 09's with the tach

everything worked perfect except the millage. thats what got everybody started with swapping the clusters.

I dont know if he ever got toyota to fix the mileage issue though.

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #99
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

kustom - what model was it swapped from and to what model? The mileage works and increments accordingly from advocate and I's study on last friday night. His was an 06, i remember seeing an 07or 08 swap, but not early as an 06 model.....and from what CTScott could be getting on, the message from the CAN bus could be difference depending on the year of the car~~

CTScott - have you PM'ed enviri about having him be a test car for the CAN bus study...
So which option would you be taking now? Have you got better results w/ the odo w/ playing around with different calculations/algorithms?
Old 11-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #100
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i'll try to find the thread but i cant remember who did it nor the year but i remember him saying it worked but the mileage didnt display the mileage of his car

http://www.4055design.com
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #101
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
kustom - what model was it swapped from and to what model? The mileage works and increments accordingly from advocate and I's study on last friday night. His was an 06, i remember seeing an 07or 08 swap, but not early as an 06 model.....and from what CTScott could be getting on, the message from the CAN bus could be difference depending on the year of the car~~

CTScott - have you PM'ed enviri about having him be a test car for the CAN bus study...
So which option would you be taking now? Have you got better results w/ the odo w/ playing around with different calculations/algorithms?
I haven't hit him up yet, but I will in the near future.

Your JDM one is obviously not an 09 one based on what Kustom play is saying. I forgot about the fact that the 09 ones worked fine in older non-ABS cars. That confirms that Toyota changed the speedometer input back to normal in 09. It also shed some light on why I haven't been able to make sense of the data I am seeing on my 09. It looks like getting 08 ABS cluster comm data is going to be the key for your JDM cluster.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:02 AM   #102
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Totally didn't cross my mind till late last night. At last fridays meet, there was a Yaris member who is Wisher23 on YarisWorld...he has an 08 non-ABS Yaris S hatchback....w/ a tach in th cluster...

I dont know if this helps you in your further research...

I can contact him to see if he can volunteer for a quick swap on mines to see the results....

My Vitz RS cluster is from an 07 model.....not sure if i mentioned it on the OZ cluster via here~

I dont know why toyota changed the cluster messages for an 08 and revert back to 06-07 models....
Old 11-16-2009, 10:36 AM   #103
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Enviri and I are getting together this week so I can check out the comm on his ABS 08.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM   #104
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Quote:
Enviri and I are getting together this week so I can check out the comm on his ABS 08.
Sounds good, keep me updated on what you find out from his 08 ABS.

I hope your findings make the odo work correctly :)

I dont want either of us to be stuck at a dead end for several months.

And I'd be willing to pay for enviri's efforts in this research too....
Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #105
CTScott
ULTIMATE

OK. Good news and bad news: The good news is that Enviri just took a ride up to my place so we could do the test with his car. The bad news is that it turns out that his dealer sold him a Yaris with ABS, but he didn't actually get ABS.

So, I still need to find an 07 or 08 that has ABS to grab some data from.
Old 11-17-2009, 03:13 PM   #106
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Hmm...that is a bit disappointing news from enviri's side, yours, and mines.

Does he have an S cluster on his 08, or a stock one? If he has an S cluster, maybe you could pull some readings from that and apply that somehow to the RS cluster....no?

I would be saddened if dealer tells me i purchased an 08 w/ ABS but in fact it didn't have one... :(
Old 11-17-2009, 03:28 PM   #107
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Hmm...that is a bit disappointing news from enviri's side, yours, and mines.

Does he have an S cluster on his 08, or a stock one? If he has an S cluster, maybe you could pull some readings from that and apply that somehow to the RS cluster....no?

I would be saddened if dealer tells me i purchased an 08 w/ ABS but in fact it didn't have one... :(
His is a bare bones 08, so no S cluster.

He was saying that he thought that he paid extra for ABS.
Old 11-17-2009, 05:11 PM   #108
Kioshi
Heart Up! Vitz

Ok, so i think finding an 07 or an 08 ABS equipped Yaris might be a tough challenge...maybe impossible unless someone can do the drive to you~

How much would you say the kilometers increase to real time miles travelled? I honestly, dont mind servicing my vehicle sooner than expected, if it happens to be the case....

Or the other option, i wait it out till you play around with the calculations even more to get the odo to increment better?