![]() |
|
|
|
#109 | |
|
Nothing beats a Toyota!
Drives: 2013 Yaris 5 dr liftback Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 564
|
Quote:
You can try 100% syn and see if it results in oil leakage. If not, go for it. I personally use Mobil 1 0w20 and change at 10K. I have almost 60K and never had any problems. AMSOIL is very expensive! You can usually buy Mobil 1 at Advance Auto on sale and get 5 quarts and an oil filter for around $25. After four or five of those, you have enough left overs for a free oil change.
__________________
Big Dave Indianapolis, IN Synthetic Oil....its in my car.....for at least 10,000 miles! ![]()
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#110 |
![]() Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 37
|
I would like to use syntec oil, but as a way to save money as this will extend my oil change time, i currently change my oil at 5000km (dusty roads,day temp avg 31 deg c) with syntec i believe i can go for 10,000 saving me money for oil filters and also time (as i change oil myself) My yaris takes a little under 4 qts of oil
- 4 qt of castrol 10w 30 dino oil is $30 US - 4 qt castrol 10w 30 full syntec $53 US Since i'll be doing 2 dino oil changes in the same amount of time (10,000km) i'll have to buy 8 qts dino oil totaling $60 US as compared to $53 US for the full syntec during the same period (10,000) also i will have to purchase and extra oil filter ($20US) and my time to change it. so the syntec works out for me
__________________
"Cooler than the other side of the pillow" |
|
|
|
|
|
#111 |
![]() Drives: 07' Yaris S & 89' Mazda 323 LX Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 37
|
Switched to Amsoil 10w 30 full syntec two days ago in my yaris sedan and my wife told me that the yaris is "driving dead"...Anybody know what maybe causing this ,, i used regular dino Castrol oil before, with no problems. I switched to syntec to save some $$$ since it increases my oil change interval.
Should i leave the syntec in my car? or drain out and go back to dino?
__________________
"Cooler than the other side of the pillow" |
|
|
|
|
|
#112 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledonia Ont.
Posts: 2,930
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#113 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
I used 5w-20 and 5w-30 Shell synthetic due to quieter engine , especially on interstate . That oil was less than $3 a quart . Also used Pennzoil Platinum at times . I think the Canadian tires Formula synthetic is SHELL . I've posted used oil analysises for the Yarises we had .
|
|
|
|
|
|
#114 | |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Caledonia Ont.
Posts: 2,930
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#115 | |
|
Minimalist
Drives: 07 silver sedan Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mississauga, GTA, Toronto, ON
Posts: 432
|
Quote:
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
#116 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
Sorry , no , just the SHELL and Pennzoil . Using Mobil1 A.F.E. 0w-20 in a '13 FIT . No U.O.A.s for that yet .
Last edited by Hershey; 04-08-2015 at 10:14 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#117 |
![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: northeast
Posts: 2,894
|
Last edited by Hershey; 04-08-2015 at 10:14 PM. |
|
|
|
|
|
#118 |
![]() ![]() ![]() Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser. Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Alameda,Ca.
Posts: 476
|
I'm posting in this very old thread because I believe that better oil is more critical on our older engines. I'm one of those people that drive my cars until they are totalled or so tired that they must be put down.
I've run synthetic oils for a very long time. When I was a kid I started to use synthetic in my air cooled motorcycles. At the time(mid 70's) the only brand making synthetic was Mobil1. So for decades I was a big fan of Mobil1 oil. In the last few years I've seen more poor results in the form of UOA's for Mibil1 than ever before. If you need a cheap synthetic oil, I say the Penzoil Platinum has taken to top spot from Mobil, as far as popular store bought brands. The UOA's show this to be the case. For some time now I've been using Royal Purple and find it to be far superior to the more easy to find Synthetics. If you buy RP in a 5-gallon jug, it can be had for under $7. per quart. My 1.5 liter loves the stuff, and revs smoother with RP, than with any other oils I've tried.
__________________
Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Sell a man a fish, and you'll both eat for a day.
|
|
|
|
![]() |
|
|
Similar Threads
|
||||
| Thread | Thread Starter | Forum | Replies | Last Post |
| LB M/T options | Howard2621 | New YARIS Purchase Forum | 1 | 09-22-2006 10:37 PM |