Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2007, 05:24 AM   #1333
Nigal
 
Nigal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Piqua, Ohio
Posts: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
guys cars r meant to be driven not pushed, i drive 110-120 and i still get great mileage, whats the point of buying a car if you will be driving it at 70 -90 on the highway, just buy a bus pass same experience. now dont get me wrong,to each his own , im not here to tell you how to drive, but i find some of you are taking this gas saving to an extreme. you buy a car for the conveinence , comfort and time saving , not to save on gas otherwise you would just need a bicycle , no gas used now thats a saving. That said enjoy your Yariss Echos and other awsome cars that dont guzzle that i think is enough also im not telling you to break speed limits and laws, just go with the flow. Thats my 2 cents (damn i wont have enough for the next fill up lol)
I'm not doing anything extreme really. I cut my driving back from 65-75 mph to 55-65 mph. I get on the interstate, set the cruise and just chill out. Because I'm not driving 75-80 mph I don't have to deal with soccer moms dragging ass in the fast lane and stressing out because people won't get out of my way. And the amount of time I lose by slowing down isn't even noticeable.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 09:26 AM   #1334
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
Quote:
for pete's sake

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

guys cars r meant to be driven not pushed, i drive 110-120 and i still get great mileage, whats the point of buying a car if you will be driving it at 70 -90 on the highway, just buy a bus pass same experience. now dont get me wrong,to each his own , im not here to tell you how to drive, but i find some of you are taking this gas saving to an extreme. you buy a car for the conveinence , comfort and time saving , not to save on gas otherwise you would just need a bicycle , no gas used now thats a saving. That said enjoy your Yariss Echos and other awsome cars that dont guzzle that i think is enough also im not telling you to break speed limits and laws, just go with the flow. Thats my 2 cents (damn i wont have enough for the next fill up lol)
well, like you say, to each their own.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:04 PM   #1335
keesue
Chillin' out by the Bay
 
keesue's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: The back streets of San Fran
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
I'm not sure because I drive about 40/60 city/hyway. The only time I had used it for a long trip where it was all hyway miles was three months after I bought it and I averaged 40mpg but that was with about 400 pounds of gear thrown in.
Given that, you are getting stellar mileage!

I bought the Yaris for the fuel efficiency as my daily commute car (56 miles roundtrip @65 mph = 39.5 mpg). I wanted the fuel economy and to reduce my carbon footprint. I have a 2001 turbo volvo (S60-T5) as well as my old 1981 Turbo Volvo. The S60 gets 25 on the highway and 21-ish in the commute. The old '81 was getting 20 avergage in the commute but required premium fuel. I didn't want to put the miles on the '01 so enter the Yaris! The cost savings have been tremendous and the conservation is a big plus.

In another thread, there was a comment on conservation. It is funny to see a single person in a 2.5 ton SUV commuting to work gettting 13-15 mpg average. I know some of the newer models get closer to 20 but we are getting double that.

We will all face the prospect of dwindling resources, and I submit that it feels pretty good doing my part now. That's just my editorial two-cents worth. I still think the car is a blast to drive.
__________________
Gettin' all the way down.
Meteorite '07 HB STILL completely stock; but....
checkin' out da other ones to see what's what.
keesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:07 PM   #1336
petesimac
 
Drives: Yaris LB
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 89
This really cracked me up yesterday: I was watching The Goodbye Girl, a 1977 film, and in the film, one of the characters is describing a Subaru, saying that it gets 39 mpg hwy and 29 city! What!? Isn't it remarkable that 30 years ago, cars were getting essentially the same mpg that our Yaris gets now? You would think that in the passage of time that we would have figured out how to put together a car that gets 50+ mpg without having to resort to a hybrid engine. Unbelievable.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 12:15 PM   #1337
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch
 
BailOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 1,299
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
This really cracked me up yesterday: I was watching The Goodbye Girl, a 1977 film, and in the film, one of the characters is describing a Subaru, saying that it gets 39 mpg hwy and 29 city! What!? Isn't it remarkable that 30 years ago, cars were getting essentially the same mpg that our Yaris gets now? You would think that in the passage of time that we would have figured out how to put together a car that gets 50+ mpg without having to resort to a hybrid engine. Unbelievable.
Pete,

Welcome to the CAFE debate! Try not to get so pissed off at the AAMA that you feel the need to blow something up.
__________________
- Brian

Share the Road


I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 01:46 PM   #1338
marcus
toyota
 
marcus's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: toronto, canada
Posts: 3,637
engine!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
Pete,

Welcome to the CAFE debate! Try not to get so pissed off at the AAMA that you feel the need to blow something up.
hey bailout you have to compensate for the subaru's engine back then.. 1977 its probably has a small engine 1.3l -1.6 its under 73hp .. it may be accurate that that cars gas mileage could be close to ours.. but its got no hp..its hp to weight ratio probably keeping that car on the slow side...just my thoughts but im sure others disagree....
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #1339
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
i've heard people say that the fuel back then was more effecient and of better quality,

i have no idea if there is any merit to this theory, just throwing it out there.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:15 PM   #1340
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
I think Marcus is right that our Yari are way more powerful than the 1977 Subaru, despite that the latter also enjoyed almost equally good fuel economy. In other words, if we compare engines back in circa 1977 with engines of today on an equal power output basis, today's engines should prove a lot better in terms of fuel economy.

In addition, I am not sure but chances are that though the 1977 Subaru enjoyed good fuel economy, it nevertheless did not have an ultra low emission engine and is therefore less environmentally friendly.

Also stuffy, though I am not absolutely sure, I believe as you indirectly suggested, fuel back in 1977 could probably produce more mpg, the main reason being the presence of lead content therein, which apart from anything else, like its effect on octane properties, is a lubricant(http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc...9/gen99615.htm). However, lead is not good for the environment. But that is another story.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:38 PM   #1341
Nigal
 
Nigal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Piqua, Ohio
Posts: 302
Plus factor in that a 1977 Subaru was, is, and always shall be a cheap piece of shit. LOL!
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #1342
hystria
 
hystria's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Orange Yaris Hb 3Drs
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Montreal-Canada
Posts: 262
right, it's all about the engine size and HP because actual cars weight way more than 30 years ago. but despite more powerful engines, nobody makes full use of it since people almost never drive past 4000 rpm. give me a 80 hp Yaris with a more nervous engine - I'll be happier with it
hystria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:40 PM   #1343
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
Quote:
just achieved 41 mpg (us) on my latest tank, almost entirely highway driving, probably an average speed of 110 km/h.
something i just realized about this tank of gas was that it was premium 91 octane fuel, this is the first time i have used it and only did so because the station was almost out of gas and were offering premium at the same price as regular.

i was really surprised by getting 41 mpg because i made no real attempts at keeping my speed down and for big stretches of this trip i was probably going 120 km/h. before i crunched the numbers, i expected about 37 mpg.

i think i might try to fill up with 91 again and see how good it is around town.

i'll report back to my fellow fuel economy nerds.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:26 PM   #1344
stuffy
 
stuffy's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 699
Quote:
as i said before , cars that were made for 89 fuel dont burn the higher octane fully, therefore you kinda wasting your money and polluting. mind you your car will be awsome to drive , more pep it might even drop in revs, but all in all you wasting your moolah
well, i'm not sure i was wasting my money because the 91 was the same price as the 89, and it seems that my fuel economy was quite a bit better with the 91,
whether that's true and whether the added cost of the 91 would balance out the fuel savings, i'm not sure.

i know that there has been a lot of debate as to whether better fe is achieved with higher octane gas, and based on this one tank it seems to me like that might be the case,
so i'm going to waste about 3 bucks to conduct an experiment on another tank of 91.

Last edited by stuffy; 07-06-2007 at 04:51 PM.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 05:46 PM   #1345
swng
 
swng's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: BC
Posts: 1,051
Latest tank since report in Post #1308:

Fuel Cost
$43

Distance travelled
587.8 km
365.26 miles

Fuel Amount
37.82 litres
9.99 US gallons
8.32 Imperial gallons
Cost of Fuel
$1.14 per litre
$4.3 per US gallon
$5.17 per Imperial gallon

Fuel Economy
6.43
litres per 100 km
36.55
miles per US gallon
43.9
miles per Imperial gallon

Mileage Costs
7.3154
¢ents per km
11.77
¢ents per mile

Comment: Mpg on the rise since a few tanks ago. Can be due to summer weather or my increased application of practical fuel saving techniques since the car was returned to me (NB: car has been driven by my brother for a while). See: http://www.gassavers.org/garage/viewgaslog/264? for historical chart.
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 06:30 PM   #1346
Merlinspop
 
Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan, Dark Blue
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: WV
Posts: 10
I haven't been too wrapped up checking my mileage, but so far during the first 2k of driving my Yaris, I've been very pleased. This fill up:

425.9 Miles
10.813 US Gal
39.388 MPG

Beats the crap out of the 15 mpg (barely) I got out of the Dodge Dakota I traded. Now I can afford to drive to work. Still don't wanna, but that's another problem I'm trying to solve in a similar manner.
Merlinspop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 07:23 PM   #1347
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch
 
BailOut's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Reno, Nevada, USA
Posts: 1,299
I fueled up this morning. 379.5 miles on 7.516 gallons = 50.492 US MPG
__________________
- Brian

Share the Road


I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:28 PM   #1348
leowhy
 
leowhy's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris 1.5G
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I fueled up this morning. 379.5 miles on 7.516 gallons = 50.492 US MPG
wow... that's about 21.316 km/L...

very great Fuel Efficiency!!!!
__________________
finally i found this forum!!!
leowhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #1349
N9QGS
 
N9QGS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Georgetown, KY
Posts: 117
Send a message via AIM to N9QGS Send a message via Yahoo to N9QGS
Gas Mileage

I have the 2007 US model Yaris S with the 1.5, and I have gotten between 36 and 39 on most round the city some highway, on strict highway trips with one person I can get 42 to 43 mpg US. Im very please never gotten below 36 yet have over 29,700 miles.
N9QGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 04:03 AM   #1350
slvryaris
 
slvryaris's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Indiana
Posts: 885
Same here 30,000 miles and nothing below 36 mpg. Maybe if I could drop some weight it would increase
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:12 PM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.