Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site
 

 


 
Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack
 

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 03:14 PM   #1
mastaofdisasta
 
mastaofdisasta's Avatar
 
Drives: yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: amerika
Posts: 258
Everyones wheels are now too heavy since this came up
http://www.carbonfibergear.com/weds-...n-fiber-wheel/
__________________
ballin on a budget.
mastaofdisasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Brad D
 
Drives: 07 Yaris RS 3dr
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 34
The stock ones are 16lbs are they not? The 15's that come on the RS

Rota grid 15x6.5= 13 lbs
Volk TE37 15x6.5= 8.8lbs
Toyata yaris 15x6= 16lbs
Brad D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Nagoya_TRD.
 
Drives: None.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 131
I know the SSR Type C weighs 8.7 lbs in 15 x 6.5 trim. I know the Rays wheels are heavier than that.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Gideon
★weeaboo★
 
Gideon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 Bayou LB
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaofdisasta View Post
Everyones wheels are now too heavy since this came up
http://www.carbonfibergear.com/weds-...n-fiber-wheel/
Pfft, mine aren't.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
derickveliz2
 
derickveliz2's Avatar
 
Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Central, MA
Posts: 2,722
Naive question...

Where do I buy Rota wheels?

Thank you?
__________________
. My system may not blow your ears, but it will sweeten your senses.
CLA 250, 4MATIC
derickveliz2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:17 PM   #6
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole
 
Russelt3hPirate's Avatar
 
Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Epcot
Posts: 588
junk yards, trash heaps, etc.
__________________
Russelt3hPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:23 PM   #7
Sabretooth
37HSSV
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St Cloud FL
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
jlbmotorsports.com is the only good place I found here in the US, cheapest prices.
__________________
07 Toyota Yaris Hatchback -sold-
11 Mazdaspeed 3 -SRI/TIP, 3 inch TBI, Custom FMIC, Tuned by Cobb Accessport, HKS ssq2 BOV, Upgraded HPFP-
Clean stock look... Killer performance.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned
 
Drives: LB
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: OH
Posts: 7,787
Ebay sells a LOT of Rotas.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #9
Nagoya_TRD.
 
Drives: None.
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SoCal
Posts: 131
insert surfer voice "Try Wheeldude Breh".

The Subaru and Honda forums are infested with rotas as well.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #10
33OH
 
Drives: '08 Yaris
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Dover, Ohio
Posts: 7,606
LOL. Searched google for 'Yaris Rota' and this came up:

33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #11
naossoan
 
Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 146
I was thinking about getting some 17" ROTA rims this summer because a friend mentioned them to me.

But everyone is saying they use shotty construction. I don't know much about wheels or cars really in general, I just want some nice (looking) wheels and tires.

What I think some people are failing to understand is not everyone can afford the 'real' enkei, bbs, whatever rims. I certainly can't. In those situations I have no choice but to go for the 'knock off' wheels if I want to have a good set of tires, which is mor eimportant than the rims themselves anyways.

I just want rims that will hold up in normal every day use with the occasional fast drive down some twisty roads. If ROTA's can't handle that, then I'll have to look elsewhere, but from what I've heard they will.

If another company that uses better contruction and 'original' designs has a large assortment of rims for less than $700/set then please, point me in their direction.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #12
Tamago
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: UZJ100
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Off Grid
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by naossoan View Post
for less than $700/set then please, point me in their direction.
are you talking about 17's?

because for $700 a set you can get TONS of awesome 15" wheels :D
__________________
Been a long time messing with cars..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:30 PM   #13
naossoan
 
Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: MB, Canada
Posts: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
are you talking about 17's?

because for $700 a set you can get TONS of awesome 15" wheels :D
Yes, I want 17's.
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 03:37 PM   #14
Sabretooth
37HSSV
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St Cloud FL
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Rotas are fine under normal driving conditions, people just put them on 300HP track cars and expect for them to hold up, all in the name of keeping costs low.

I dont think we will ever hear of a Yaris blowing a Rota, unless Garm throws a set on his car.
__________________
07 Toyota Yaris Hatchback -sold-
11 Mazdaspeed 3 -SRI/TIP, 3 inch TBI, Custom FMIC, Tuned by Cobb Accessport, HKS ssq2 BOV, Upgraded HPFP-
Clean stock look... Killer performance.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #15
Tamago
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: UZJ100
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Off Grid
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretooth View Post
unless Garm throws a set on his car.
let's not count our chickens before they get paid for and hatched.
__________________
Been a long time messing with cars..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Sabretooth
37HSSV
 
Sabretooth's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: St Cloud FL
Posts: 1,395
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
let's not count our chickens before they get paid for and hatched.
Well, I am just going off what we know from other 1nz motors built in the exact fashion that Garm is doing.
__________________
07 Toyota Yaris Hatchback -sold-
11 Mazdaspeed 3 -SRI/TIP, 3 inch TBI, Custom FMIC, Tuned by Cobb Accessport, HKS ssq2 BOV, Upgraded HPFP-
Clean stock look... Killer performance.
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 08:51 AM   #17
botchilah
 
Drives: white and red shiny things
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Philippines
Posts: 140
This thread is getting stupid. I'm a Filipino and I love ROTA's. Admittedly I don't admire their penchance to copy the design of a lot of JDM wheels. If you hate ROTA's for that, then it's an opinion which I'll have to respect. But calling them JUNK just because there are a number of incidents where the wheels broke and then calling ROTA's in general junk is plain stupid.

I've used ROTA's for over a decade on a variety of cars. including my previously 'caged Evo IV track, hill-climb and rally car. NEVER had a problem with 17' ROTA's. Sure it doesn't make for good random sampling, but hell, 2 or 3, even 4 broken sets of ROTA's also don't make for good sampling to determine that ALL ROTA's are bad.

I'm not cheap either (as some people might think I'm defending ROTA's because it's the only set I can afford), I've got a set of 18' TE37 FORGED MAGNESIUM wheels in my Supra that cost about U$7,000 for a set of four and had to be bought through a JGTC / Super GT 300 team because at that time Ray's didnt want to sell these wheels for non-motorsports use. I've also got 57 Motorsport wheels on my Yaris which cost me just over a thousand bucks. But I would have bought ROTA's for either of my cars if they had the design / look that I wanted.

Sure, the JDM stuff are better. No question. But are they so much better to justify the cost? IMHO, no.

If you ride the FIA approved curbing at your local tracks all the time, ditch hook the car at every corner (like Takumi's secret move using the rain gutters lol) in an SS or jump your car regularly (I used to in my Evo IV) at 80mph, and find that the wheels are not damaged at all, after years and years of abuse, heck these ROTA's must be quite good enough.

IME cars with ROTA wheels that get damaged usually have suspension issues i.e. the suspension isn't up to par holding up the car and when the wheels go throuh rough stuff, the suspension isn't able to absorb the shock and the wheel and the non-absorbing suspension components take the load and get damaged.

Here in the Philipines, almost every drifter I know runs ROTA's. Almost all of the rally guys I know run ROTA's. Almost all locally manufactured cars in the Philippines still use ROTA wheels (the others, like Honda use Enkei, but also made locally).

ROTA AFAIK is also a licensed manufacturer for Kosei wheels in the past, and for some Ralli-Art wheels which were exported too for the Pajero / Montero SUV. There are countless others.

Some people obviously think ROTA's are made in a freaking shed here in the Philippines. Ugh some people can be so very stupid.............

I've seen original TE37 wheels in an N1 Civic race car get its spoked ripped off a nasty accident on track. This car was owned and run by the local Rays distributor (Autoplus). I'm not knocking Ray's, but as some of the more enlightened ones have said, serious damage can happen to any wheel. I've seen a rare Porsche 993 RSR get its OEM 3-piece BBS wheels ripped off after an accident and trailered to the local Porsche dealership. Not knocking Porsche and BBS, but it can happen to these too. And the Porsche wasn't even going really fast, something like 100kmh or so. I've also seen Sportec wheels from Switzerland (U$4,000 set) get its spokes ripped off the hub of a heavily modified B5 A4 Turbo Quattro when it got into a disagreement with a big pothole in our highway. Or a good friend's Evo 5 which ran the curbing at our local track one too many times lose all the pressure in his tire because the wheel got bent. The Evo 5 had OEM OZ F1 wheels on Bridgestone SO2's back then. I can go on and on and on about expensive wheels that are 'supposedly' better than ROTA's get damaged just as easily as ROTA's, which ultimately means par for the course for all these wheels, regardless of brand / make / origin.

PS I know the main man at ROTA. Nice (very big but nice) guy. I've been to their factory a number of times too. It's a start of the art factory, ISO certified and looks way better than some sweat shops out there in the US.

You can HATE rota because they copy wheels from other manufacturers. But to call them JUNK because of a handful of cases is plain stupid. Here in the Philippines, I've yet to hear of any accident like that involving ROTA wheels. And yes we drive fast here. Faster than most guys in the US because we effectively have no speed limit i.e. cops don't care.
__________________
08' Yaris HB 5dr: RAYS 57 Motorsports 17X7 / K&N SRI / TANABE axleback exhaust / ULTRA RACING complete braces / MEGAN RACING complete braces / NEX coilovers / NEX 330mm 4-pot front BBK / PENGUIN GARAGE hub spacers / HOTBITS headers / BUDDY CLUB oil cap and rad cap / APP SS brake lines / HKS synthetic lubes / RECARO SR5 seats / TRD shiftknob / cheap FEDERAL (free) tires lol. NEXT: HKS F-CON iS
botchilah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 09:40 AM   #18
Tamago
 
Tamago's Avatar
 
Drives: UZJ100
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Off Grid
Posts: 4,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by botchilah View Post
I can go on and on and on about expensive wheels that are 'supposedly' better than ROTA's get damaged just as easily as ROTA's
this statement makes me .. just as easily you say? did you drive the exact same car thru the exact same pothole at the exact same speed?


hey, my chinese wheels will be here thursday (i'm not a jdm elitist) and i'm hapyp to report that they don't look like a copy of anything :)
__________________
Been a long time messing with cars..
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oh I am so mad my dealership had the wrong gap on my plugs joeharth Fuel Economy Forum 10 03-25-2009 05:26 PM
Wrong cruise control kit... nbays1 DIY / Maintenance / Service 11 12-31-2008 03:18 PM
Sorry if its in wrong section! jetaimejsc Items for Sale by private party 5 05-22-2007 05:17 PM
why do people hate rota's sdmf Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack 50 05-04-2007 09:05 AM
Will this work or I got the wrong harness? TDL In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm) 2 04-19-2007 02:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:46 AM.




YarisWorld
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions Inc.