Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #1729
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
^For me they went in front of the turn on leads for my amplifiers. Mine were Bosch types though. I won't need them when the new processor comes along...

Derick, can you say, almost finished with the door panel trim rings? :) I'm rabbeting in the rings to fit down into the openings I made yesterday. They'll also be painted to the color of the car and fit with hand made grills. This will allow me to light up the speaker in the door with LEDs for a sweet effect when needed.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:40 PM   #1730
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post

Not finished by any means...now it's rounding off the internal edges, filling in with a body filler radius inside the perimiter, primer, then paint.

Sq are them huge amps asking for 4 gauge power / grounds ? How are the terminals ? the new style where you don't need spades or do you have to crimp spades on there ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 12:42 AM   #1731
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

^Those amps are huge. They're set up like old A/B class amplifiers. Think ZR1000 meets Arc SE2300. The thing is that these are absolutely only running at 4 Ohm loads. Having run them last year to a Western Canadian regional victory in my class, through that whole time, they only became warm. Never were they over taxed or "railed". I'm not worried about 4 gauge wiring honestly. It works well given my situation.

I've made the trim rings for the door panels. I've secured grill material as well. Now, it's about snugging the trim ring onto the door panel and then shaping some grill material over a blank...then it's primer and paint for the ring.

Last edited by sqcomp; 01-31-2012 at 12:58 AM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #1732
_S7V7N_

That's how my Brutus is set up , has the wiring going directly in the connectors, I love it ! Except i'm running my subs at 2 ohms out the box then it drops it to 1 at the amp, since it acts as a Mono. I'm seriously thinking about buying a few feet of the 4 gauge Knu Konceptz brand to run from my distro block to my amp, right now it's some cheap o 4 gauge but it's more like 6 gauge.

What size speaker wire do you have to run up to the front components and later on your subs ? And how many watts RMS are you running them amps @ 4 ohms ?.

Almost forgot ...Are you going to run any type of fans on them amps or is the top being open going to be enough to vent them ? I plan on putting some Plexi glass over my amps with some lights and " show" type stuff, but i also thought about getting some fans to put on my sub amp since it's not going to be as " open " as now.

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 01-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #1733
_S7V7N_

Yo Derick what did you ever do with them 6.5 Hifonics ?

Old 02-01-2012, 03:02 AM   #1734
derickveliz2

Drives: Yaris Sedan "S"
Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
Yo Derick what did you ever do with them 6.5 Hifonics ?
They are back in their box, clean like new. I can't believe how good they are.

Well can't compete against the HAT L6s but still even with a LED light inside the ZEUS Hifonics can play low and fast.

Was it you who wanted them right?

D.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:04 AM   #1735
derickveliz2

Sqcomp, the cover for your L6SE's is looking great, I'm still debating how to do mine.
send more pictures... did you end up cutting the panel in that shape?

My L6's baffle hit the panel on one side! was thinking on cutting more like you did, did you have the same issue?

D.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #1736
_S7V7N_

How much you asking for them ? Actually for the 6.5's and the Crossovers if you're not using them. I cracked one of the covers on mine.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM   #1737
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm running 12 gauge street wires to all my speakers. The reason? To support the lines my shop sells. No more than that.

The S2b amps are a true 450 x 2 which is great for headroom and dynamic transients. The S4b is rated At 120 x 2 and 240 x 2. This kicks up the tweeters and mid range speakers and gives good headroom as well. I'm not using the amp's onboard crossover which is really nice.

Eventually I'll be moving to a new "brand" of amplifier in a few years. It's being designed right now and has to go through the entire manufacturing process. Think Genesis dual mono extreme WITHOUT the crossovers or anything that will change the signal aside from amplification. We're going for a true, unfettered amplifier. We may also be thinking about class A as well. There's so much more to say...

And D, I'll be putting up more pictures of the panel. No worries.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:33 PM   #1738
_S7V7N_

Sq how do you have your gains set on the amp ? Here's a few questions :

Voltage of your rear outputs on your Deck (I think they're 5 V )
RMS of your Legatia's
RMS of any other speakers/subs

I guess what i'm asking is do you have your amp set to the voltage your stereo puts out.

Maybe it's the old school way of doing it but please help me better understand.

If you're deck puts out 5V's is that the max you want your amp (Level on the amp below ) ? Or is it all done by ear ?

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 02-01-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #1739
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

I'm setup a little differently than the average system. My head unit puts out an unclipped signal of 4.99 Volts at maximum output on the volume pot. I keep my volume pot at maximum output (62 on the deck's readout). That gives me as much fire going down the lines as possible. The signal then goes to my Bit One (soon to be PS8). The processor then takes it and has a field day. The signal voltage then gets sent to the amplifiers. Both the processor and the amplifiers have clipping indicators (on the GUI and side of the amp respectively).

I take a 1 kHz tone at 0dB and blast it though the chain (no speakers on the amps). It take an o-scope and read at each point, all the source outs, processor ins, and the amplifier ins for a smooth sine wave. From the sine wave reading kn the scope I move up on the amp gains since I start with the gains all the way down. I go until I see clipping and then back it down until I see a smooth wave.

Why the test tone? It's a mean tone at the highest output level I can get off the information on a CD. That means I play it safe and never have any clipping no matter how loud. Therefore, I don't need to spend the time and money with constructing tweeter protection or launching speakers into outer space.

It works for me. :)
Old 02-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #1740
derickveliz2

Quote:
Therefore, I don't need to spend the time and money with constructing tweeter protection or launching speakers into outer space.

It works for me. :)

Stop right there, I'm lost!

Honestly my knowledge doesn't goes that far, sounds very cool in white and black, and I bet it will sound much better behind the steering wheel.

I hope some day I get to travel a-x the country and have a chance to learn all that!

I will appreciate if you post more pictures of the grills for your LOWS in the doors. I just can't come up with an easy/nice solution.

D.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:59 PM   #1741
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
How much you asking for them ? Actually for the 6.5's and the Crossovers if you're not using them. I cracked one of the covers on mine.
PM sent!

D.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:43 AM   #1742
NHYarisFan

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan Flint Mica
This Thread is a "whole nother LEVEL" love all the post u guys have some crazy audio i just have my lil pdx-5 but im happy for now
Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #1743
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

^I must apologize to Derick. I'm sort of piggybacking my experience in the Yaris with his thread.

I found that If I had my own thread I received too much naysaying. "Too expensive" this and "Your doing things wrong" that...

as for this thread being a "whole nother level", I say take what Derick and I are doing, ask LOTS of questions and go and do likewise (as in your own little projects).

@ Derick - I've actually got the trim ring blending onto the panel right now. It's down in the garage curing with a space heater close to it. Tomorrow night I'll finish up the rough blend. On Saturday I'll remove the piece, trim it down and then prep it for paint. Once it's painted I'll permanently attach it to the panel.

Don't worry, I'll give you full pics and explain the process. Until I'm done, here's a teaser:

Old 02-02-2012, 01:00 AM   #1744
derickveliz2

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHYarisFan View Post
This Thread is a "whole nother LEVEL" love all the post u guys have some crazy audio i just have my lil pdx-5 but im happy for now
Hey I've been meaning to write in the New England area for a Yaris meet, I think we should organize it! Lots of fun, did you see the pictures from our previous meetings?

D.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:02 AM   #1745
derickveliz2

Quote:
^I must apologize to Derick. I'm sort of piggybacking my experience in the Yaris with his thread.
No apologize here, you are more than welcome, and look at it this way, we want you to post here, please!

D.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #1746
NHYarisFan

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan Flint Mica
yeah nice rides, i noticed that there was one in Oakham! my sister lives there small world. Ya i had posted we should meet in the NE thread. see what happens