Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #19
Snowflake

Drives: '06 Scion xA Indigo Ink Pearl
I think you'd get used to the gear box and shifting pretty quick, like probably a week or less with daily driving.. I didn't have any trouble from the get-go, but then I'm used to shifting a fussy clutch.
Snowflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM   #20
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake
I think you'd get used to the gear box and shifting pretty quick, like probably a week or less with daily driving.. I didn't have any trouble from the get-go, but then I'm used to shifting a fussy clutch.
Actually, I liked the way the Yaris shifted vs., say, the VW Rabbit.

The Rabbit was shotter throws, which I didnt like as much.

Im soooooo curious to drive a Versa now. I think this wkend Imma hafta try to take one for a spin to sedate my curiousity and get it outta my mind
Old 09-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #21
YarisBlazer

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Something doesnt add up here? You own a Lexus but you can't afford a higher-priced Toyota than the Yaris????
If you have the money to be driving a Lexus you should be able to affrod a loaded Camry or Avalon!!!!
YarisBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 11:38 PM   #22
Boo

Drives: PW Yaris LB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by futureyarisowner
Something doesnt add up here? You own a Lexus but you can't afford a higher-priced Toyota than the Yaris????
If you have the money to be driving a Lexus you should be able to affrod a loaded Camry or Avalon!!!!

Some people just budget for a daily commuter and save their nice ride for weekend or track.. I know people having a M3 and getting a very cheap commuter for daily use.
Boo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 01:12 AM   #23
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar

Man, I really wanna fucking test out the Nissan Versa so bad right now just for fun, so I can see how she looks, handles and feels in person. I think I'll look at doing that soon. I test drove a VW Rabbit a month back and it was fun. Still like my Yaris better I decided afterwards.

I wanna test the Versa to see which Id like better too (just for shits sake of course)
Saw (IN PERSON) today the Versa at the dealership, after hours, and I looked them all up and down for a good 1/2 hour, I swear.

... and I must say, I think I *may* like the Versa better than the Yaris now... but not 100% sure yet. :S Need to reflect on the matter more.

Interior wise, its more typical and less "unique/different/strange" like the Yaris's is... overall just pretty fucking nice! Outside, in person, its not as ugly as I thought it was when I was pics of it online. Its quite fine!

And it has over twice the storage space or the Yaris, plus an extra 16 horsepower! Both those features REALLY freakin' appeal to me. Esp since the cost is literally like SPOT ON for comparably equipped Versa to my LE 4 door!

If I were buying now and we had both a Toyota and Nissan dealership in Collingwood, I dont know which I would buy anymore. :S

Jem
Old 09-24-2006, 01:11 PM   #24
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
^^^Did you just quote and responed to yourself?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:08 AM   #25
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
Remember the Versa is a renault design, not nissan.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 12:22 AM   #26
ajae

Drives: 2007 Yaris 5-door hatch
Glad I'm not the only one with the 'drive by wire' experience. There must be a slight delay between when the sensor on the gas pedal senses the movement and when the fuel injectors respond. When shifting, I am able to let off the gas completely before putting in the clutch (could never do with a cable) and that seams to smooth out the revs. I chose the Yaris over the Fit for the extra dealer options in Canada like Eibach springs and Borla exhaust; highly recommend both if you want to put a little 'fun' into your driving!

For some extra fun, try shifting the Yaris without the clutch, it's a breeze to get used to and something else to occupy your mind on the commute to work.
Love my toys!
ajae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:10 PM   #27
twocvforme

Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
I'm amazed no one is criticising you for being honest!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadaCraig
Hi Everyone!!

I hope you're OK.

A 2007 Toyota Yaris RS, a 2007 Nissan Versa and a 2007 Honda FIT.

Here are my impressions of each car based on a 20 to 30 minute test drive of each one.

2007 Honda FIT

First Impression? How SMALL it is on the OUTSIDE. Second impression? How BIG it is on the INSIDE. It's pretty quick off the line - too - and feels good [power wise] on city streets - but it's [almost] painfully slow getting up to freeway/highway speeds. In fact - for most of the test drive - the gas pedal was flat on the floor!! lol [but I'm sure one would get used to that] It really is surprisingly roomy inside with TONS of headroom. I can sit behind me comfortably. [if you know what I mean] It feels solid and secure and has a nice looking dashboard. [with 'Acura-like' gauges] It is mostly comfortable except for the fact that the center console cup holders jabbed against my leg. [a problem I have with many center consoles] The seats are also a bit firmer than I think they have to be. But maybe that's good - especially on longer trips. Hard to tell if it handles great - given the fact that during the 30 minute 'test drive' it was mostly stop and go traffic. The A/C cooled the car down quickly. All in all - it's a very nice car.

2007 Nissan Versa

First impression? How 'tinny' [and cheap] sounding the doors were when opening or closing. Second impression? How comfortable the driver's seat was. Apparently the Versa's front seats are the same that one would find in a Maxima. They're big seats. So big - in fact - the reclining levers are on the center console side of the seats. [no room between seat and door] The feeling of 'cheapness' carried on through to the dashboard. It's also a bit utilitarian looking. [could have easily come from a small pick-up truck] That's not necessarily bad - but having just tested the FIT - it was an impression I couldn't ignore. [The FIT being put together so nicely AND with better materials and plastics] The Versa 'S' that I tested [which is the base model] had a 6-speed manual transmission. It shifted well enough but was [here I go again] a bit 'truck-like' in feel. [somewhat 'notchy' - if you know what I mean] The clutch was also quite sensitive and would take some practice to engage [and disengage] smoothly. [Easier to manipulate than the Yaris clutch - however] The Versa felt BIG inside - too - like the FIT - but in a more clumsy sort of way. In fact - another 'first impression' I had was that it reminded me of a Lada. LOL [and I mean one of the first Lada's that we could buy in Canada - the ones built using the old Fiat 128 body and chassis - if any of you remember those] Based on what you just read - you might think that I didn't like the Versa. But that's not the case. It had sort of an awkward 'charm'. I liked it but I'm not really sure why.

2007 Toyota Yaris RS

First impression? Nicest looking of the three. Second impression? How the passenger doors on the 2 door Yaris RS hatchback reminded me of an old 2-door Buick or Oldsmobile when being shut. [Or opened - for that matter] The doors felt VERY heavy. [and not in a good way] The Yaris - like the Versa - looked a bit cheap inside. Lots and LOTS of flat black plastic. And although the gauge cluster looked pretty good [lighting up just like a Lexus] the fact that it was in the middle of the dashboard was a bit annoying. [at least at first] And I'm not sure I like the fact that EVERYONE in the car can tell [just as well as you can] how fast you're going. The seat backs were a bit tight on MY back [the RS having so-called 'sport seats] but were comfortable none-the-less. The engine was smooth and quite willing and able to move the car. The shifter was really nice but the clutch - YIKES!! It was one of those 'on/off' clutches. I only made a few smooth shifts throughout the entire test drive. The salesman even warned me before we left about how difficult it is to smoothly engage the clutch. In time - that would become extremely annoying. The Yaris felt tight and secure and was a nice car to drive. [except for that clutch]

So there you have it.

Based on those three test drives - I'd have to say that [overall] the FIT was the best with the Versa a surprisingly close second and the Yaris third. [but probably - come to think of it - only because of that awful clutch]

As far as 'looks' are concerned - It's almost too close to call. But in order of preference I'd say the Yaris was the best looking with the FIT and Versa tied for second. To be honest - I don't think the FIT or Versa are good looking cars.

Still not sure what to do. Trouble is - I went a Mazda dealer last night to look at the Mazda 3 and 5 serious. The salesman [almost immediately] 'warned' me about how little I'd get for my car in trade. So I'm not sure what to think. I'm bringing my Lexus in for service on Tuesday [which is later today - as I write] and I'm going to take yet another serious look a the Yaris. [and other Toyotas too - even though I can't afford them]

Thanks,
Craig!!
Funny, I drove the three and totally agree with you...especially the clutch in the YARIS..The factory rep will report back as to what, if any Toyota will do..working on a fix....BUT......I have rec'd nothing but negative comments, like I can't drive and I should not be posting here with negatives....etc. etc..

Thanks again for an honest report... Peter
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #28
twocvforme

Drives: Yaris Liftback ...Silver
Dealer claims Toyota is slowly dumping Manuals...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar
The reason for the difficulty w/ the clutch is bc the Yaris is throttle-by-wire instead of the standard usual throttle-by-chain.

The type of clutch the Yaris has is going to be the next generation clutch thats going to become the norm eventually, I think, in most new cars.

I agree, its hard to shift smoothly, your RPMs hang a second before dropping..
Mechanic at Toyota claims they did away with Standard in the Forunner and trying to do it with others...who knows...said they polute to much.
twocvforme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #29
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
Question for the dummy here... a Versa is HUGE compared to a Yaris. Why is it a competing vehicle? When I think Versa (Tiida in the rest of the world), I think Corolla. Yaris-Fit would be about right.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 01:32 PM   #30
St_G

Drives: Black 2007 Yaris Liftback 1.5
One reason that the three tend to get mentioned together is that they are all the smallest, cheapest vehicles produced by their manufacturers, with a hatchback being at least an option on all three. Another is that they were all released at almost exactly the same time in the US market, so just about every car magazine here has done a three-way shootout with them in the past year. The Fit tends to win those.

QUOTE=SmellyTofu;29883]Question for the dummy here... a Versa is HUGE compared to a Yaris. Why is it a competing vehicle? When I think Versa (Tiida in the rest of the world), I think Corolla. Yaris-Fit would be about right.[/QUOTE]
St_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:57 PM   #31
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
I like the yaris. It is built well, my clutch/tranny feel rock solid. I was actually impressed when I got my car, since i was only able to test autos'. Price, I can't comment since I got a low end CE, with just Air, and walked out paying less than $17g on the road. I guess people will never be satisfied. I love my car!! Start enjoying yours too!

UY
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 12:37 PM   #32
kdctuning
The Nineth Coming

Drives: 2007 BB Yaris 3 Door LB
Send a message via AIM to kdctuning
I own a 2006 Impreza 2.5i and I have driven a 2006 STi, both are drive by wire. All it takes is getting a little time in with the car. And the 'lag' feeling is the servo motor on the throttle body catching up. In all wheel drive it sucks and awd and turbo sucks more. Some day I have to hammer the gas to get going. But I can not wait to get my Yaris. It was comfortable to sit in, felt solid and is a great price. Only harp I have is the lack of Tach and I keep seeing photos of push button starts (I would wet my pants if I could get that). And I hate to say that even a $31,000 STi interior seems cheat to me (rattles and creaks).
Old 01-22-2007, 01:25 PM   #33
boris13

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback, 5-speed
Is the clutch used in the Yaris the same as used in the 5-speed Scion xA?
boris13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:13 AM   #34
captainzerocool
CAMRY FTW!

Drives: Camry LE V-6 (225,000+ miles)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boris13 View Post
Is the clutch used in the Yaris the same as used in the 5-speed Scion xA?

Should be. Being it is the same car.

I have no imagination.
captainzerocool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2007, 05:16 PM   #35
areitu

Drives: 240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jem_hadar View Post
The reason for the difficulty w/ the clutch is bc the Yaris is throttle-by-wire instead of the standard usual throttle-by-chain.

The type of clutch the Yaris has is going to be the next generation clutch thats going to become the norm eventually, I think, in most new cars.

I agree, its hard to shift smoothly, your RPMs hang a second before dropping..
The rev-hanging is an emissions-related feature. I'm wondering if anybody has managed to take the time to figure out the Yaris ECU and come out with an ECU flash to remedy the problem.

I've driven both an 5AT Fit and a Yaris. 5MT Fits are hard to come by, especially for a test drive, especially in my area. I imagine it would have a little bit of the "hanging" for emissions as well.
areitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 01:26 PM   #36
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Just helped a retiring co-worker carry some things out to her car, a Honda Fit.

Loaded it into her hatch area, and GOSH I'm so jealous once again of all the extra space thats present in the Fit's hatch area! Just that its 3-4 inches lower even makes a big difference, and then that theres also more space too behind the seats.

Anyways, just my random thought of the day, wishing my Yaris had at least as much hatch space as her Fit does.

(ah well, cant have it all I guess)

Going to DEMF, a 3 day electronic music festival in 2 weeks, and taking 2, maybe 3, ppl in my car, and I know I'm really gonna wish for that extra space when packing the car full of our stuff!