Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-02-2006, 02:42 PM   #19
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
the thing about consumer reports that really blows my mind is the fact that hyundai has been getting rave reviews,
my experience working for a rental company knows them to be the least reliable in the fleet.
a big payoff? or is hyundai somehow fudging their numbers?

the reports do seem to be especially hard on the yaris, they seem to expect it to have the same attributes as a lexus.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 02:44 PM   #20
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
I think Consumer Reports generally loves Toyota. The FJ Cruiser and the
Yaris are new and they can’t tell anything about their reliability so they
don’t give a recommendation. HOWEVER, Consumer Reports recommends
every other car in the Toyota line. In other words they recommend
Toyotas more often that any other car! I bet the Yaris will get on that
list once they prove how reliable they are.

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:13 PM   #21
whoguy

Drives: Yaris YRS Sedan
G'day all,

Cars are very much a subjective thing. Me and my wife love our Yaris. She always look forward to driving it everyday even though it's her daily driver.

One thing for sure is that there are no squeaks and rattle... and the car is so solidly built.

I don't care what any so called EXPERTS say cause I know a good thing when I come across it and the Yaris is definately one of the few things which are a GOOD/GREAT thing.

Enjoy the drive
whoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:31 PM   #22
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
I have never bought any thing because of consumer reports. They're usually like most corporate reports way off the mark. I always go by what others that have actually bought the thing have to say about a product before I buy it. The so called experts tend to just look for whats the most tricked out and expensive. And usually they're way off on dependablity and the things actual abilitys.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM   #23
junior

Drives: '07 liftback,85 Celica GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecarlove
I think Consumer Reports generally loves Toyota. The FJ Cruiser and the
Yaris are new and they can’t tell anything about their reliability so they
don’t give a recommendation. HOWEVER, Consumer Reports recommends
every other car in the Toyota line. In other words they recommend
Toyotas more often that any other car! I bet the Yaris will get on that
list once they prove how reliable they are.

Hays

I have to agree with this sentiment. Once the yaris has been on the road a few years it will be as lauded by consumer Reports as the Echo was.
They simply gushed over the Echo.

I subscribe to Consumer Reports and they generally do a good job. They just take awhile on the new models to get the evaluation nailed down.

With the resurgent market in sub-compacts Consumer Reports was probably feeling pressured to do a side by side comparision pretty quickly. Toyota and Hondas are traditionally reliable and economical so they had to fall back on more subjective criteria like styling, comfort, and available options.
IMO the Fit is hideous as far as styling goes (they got that part right) but has some inovative interior specs. and decnt options. and you will pay for them

The Yaris is plenty comfortable, looks better and will run for a decade.
and since it was my first new car ..the price had alot to do with it.
I have always said i would never finance an automobile. Once i decided to finance...i could ot see going with anything other than a Toyota. If Im going to be paying interest on a depreciating asset it had damn well better run forever.

however..i think that Toyota is getting a little complacement sitting at the top.
I hope they wont take loyal customers for granted.
junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 12:48 AM   #24
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
sloppy handling on the Yaris Liftback? Are these guy nuts? I never took the Consumer Report's auto journalist seriously, seems like a bunch of posers doing the testing. They're probably the type that are ticked off that the Lotus Elise doesn't have a cup holder (or so oblivious, they wouldn't even get my last statement).

Let us know when the link comes online...
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 04:34 AM   #25
hasher22
Look mum no stars!!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 06
Send a message via MSN to hasher22
be realistic....its a cheap car, get what u paid for. want a better car? get a much more expensive car.....

if the yaris had all the features then the retail price would def be up there......
Old 11-03-2006, 06:52 AM   #26
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I trust Consumer Reports for objective evaluations. Having test driven many, many cars before deciding on the Yaris, I am anxious to see how they came to such a different opinion.

I'm not happy that they just hurt my resale value though.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:58 AM   #27
the_saint
50% borikén

Drives: 06 Mazda5, 90 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Revenge
...I read a review yesterday that was the 1st to sound truly objective, and the reviewer said the Fit was "just ugly, ugly, ugly." Wish I could find that article again!

~YR
Yeah, that sounds objective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pars
sloppy handling on the Yaris Liftback? Are these guy nuts? I never took the Consumer Report's auto journalist seriously, seems like a bunch of posers doing the testing. They're probably the type that are ticked off that the Lotus Elise doesn't have a cup holder (or so oblivious, they wouldn't even get my last statement).

Let us know when the link comes online...
Actually, I think it was cabin noise & bumpy ride.
the_saint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 AM   #28
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasher22
be realistic....its a cheap car, get what u paid for. want a better car? get a much more expensive car.....

if the yaris had all the features then the retail price would def be up there......

I totally agree...if this were the case and the Yaris had a lot of options found on higher end cars and it was priced higher then they would bitch about how the Yaris is too expensive for what its competing against and probably vote against it cause the competition isn't expensive.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:43 AM   #29
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I think like some others, once the Yaris proves itself in reliability, which I'm sure it will, it will be reccomended like the rest. One thing is for sure, Consumer Reports does not take money from any company. That is what separates them from the rest of the review magazines. If they did, you would see things like Jeeps and Durangos at the tops of the lists.

Here is a nice site for a good overview of reliability of cars. It only goes up to 2002 though. http://www.autooninfo.info/ReliabilityPercentranks.htm
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #30
Befuddled

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
I think like some others, once the Yaris proves itself in reliability, which I'm sure it will, it will be reccomended like the rest.
They did give the Yaris their highest mark in reliability, based on Toyotas history. They had a problem with the emergency procedures at higher speeds and felt that the steering was 'too soft' at slower speeds. I have subscribed to and contributed to CR for many years. And while I might not always agree with their assessment (not running out to sell my Yaris before the public becomes aware ) I do believe that they give and honest and objective opinion.
Befuddled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:37 PM   #31
mikeukrainetz

Drives: 2006 Toyota Yaris
I had a 99 chevy malibu - the car was optioned out pretty much on all available models. Tons of options and accessories and you know what? that car was a piece of sh*t. They crammed all the cheapest garbage (hey its chev...) they could find to compete with more competent cars of the same class for a cheaper price.
The Yaris is twice the car with half the options in my opinion.
mikeukrainetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:16 PM   #32
BlueLiftback

Drives: 2007 Blazing Blue 5-speed L/B
The primary issue I have with all of the magazine "comparisons" is that they completely lack any true sense of OWNERSHIP of the vehicle. That is, getting in and living with it DAILY for an extended period of time (longer than the 3 days or so that the take writing up a 10 page or less article concerning 8 or so cars).

Cars may be rated higher than the Yaris today, but give it a few years... For the $$$ involved, it's the best value for the money. 1) Toyota 2) Predicted Reliability 3) Predicted Resale and 4) GAS Mileage...

Add in the fact that it's fun to drive (maybe not as fun as a Fit, but certainly not $3000 less fun lol), and it's a killer combo.

Doesn't much matter what a magazine says imho...
BlueLiftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 06:45 PM   #33
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
very well said blueliftback
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:29 PM   #34
ECHOKnight2000
Small Car Lover

Drives: A Super Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLiftback
The primary issue I have with all of the magazine "comparisons" is that they completely lack any true sense of OWNERSHIP of the vehicle. That is, getting in and living with it DAILY for an extended period of time (longer than the 3 days or so that the take writing up a 10 page or less article concerning 8 or so cars).

Cars may be rated higher than the Yaris today, but give it a few years... For the $$$ involved, it's the best value for the money. 1) Toyota 2) Predicted Reliability 3) Predicted Resale and 4) GAS Mileage...

Add in the fact that it's fun to drive (maybe not as fun as a Fit, but certainly not $3000 less fun lol), and it's a killer combo.

Doesn't much matter what a magazine says imho...

Going along with that it comes down to sales not reviews, sure reviews are legit but to some extent...the Yaris is selling like hot cakes and its one of the best selling sub-compacts out there. Remember when magazines rat on the Toyota Camry being boring and plain and it usually got lower scores cause of that? Well its the best selling car in America so who gives a flying &@^@$^Q what a reviewer(s) say. I'll get off my soap box.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #35
BMGYaris

Drives: Yaris 3dr Hatchback
I asked this before but no one aswered? what type of models did they test? a relativly base yaris verses a decked out versa would be totally unfair, and up against a sport fit well geez...of course it is going to get al ower score, especially with a base yaris with no abs or side airbags. so what were the versions they compared with? AND if anybody knows anyway to improve pedal distnaces that woudl really help to boost the yaris comfort scores:)
BMGYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:42 PM   #36
littlecarlove

Drives: Want a Yaris
I’m pissed that I paid for a membership to Consumer Reports online and yet the newsstands get the new information first. They have a forum and I posted this:

“I’m very confused. I thought Consumer Reports tested and reviewed new cars, but you list the Toyota Echo as a new car in 2007. It has been discontinued - you CAN’T buy a new Echo. On the other hand you seem to have left out the replacement to the Echo: The Toyota Yaris.
I joined this site specifically to find out about the Yaris and how it compares to the competition.
Then I found a website for Yaris owners and they said there was an article in the November issue that compares the Toyota Yaris, Nissan Versa, and Honda Fit. I can find no such article on this website.
What gives?”

They responded:

“…the web review on the Yaris will be posted any day, keep checking. The December issue of CR is just hitting the newsstands and mailboxes.

Toyota Yaris
Highs: Fuel economy, hatchback storage, turning circle, reliability.
Lows: Braking without ABS, engine and road noise, driving position, sloppy handling at the limits.

Not bad, but our test engineers liked the Nissan Versa, Honda fit, Kia Rio, and Hyundai Accent better (in that order). The Fit is a CR recommended car.”

The Yaris placed FIFTH! Are you kidding me? It’s rated BELOW the Kia Rio?!?!??? The Killed-In-Action Ride-InOperable???? My faith in Consumer Reports has been shaken to the core.

I do agree that both the Accent and Rio are both safer than a Yaris because chances are those cars will not be running. I doubt you can hit anything if your car can’t move.

I canceled my membership. I suggest if you have one that you do the same.

Hays
littlecarlove is offline   Reply With Quote