Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Murtaza_murti

Drives: Toyota Belta
How to improve my fuel economy?

I have a '06 Belta with the 1KR-FE 1.0L engine, the fuel average is suppose to be around 20-22 KM/L. But when I fill my tank I get around 300-350Kms on a full tank. How can I improve the overall fuel economy? I asked a guy at a workshop he said to get your Throttle body and MAF sensor cleaned. I Need some suggestion's on whether to getting my Throttle body and MAF sensor cleaned or not and other suggestion's on getting a better overall fuel economy.
Murtaza_murti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #2
Murtaza_murti

Bump.
Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 PM   #3
mryaris

Drives: 2010 Carmine Red hatchback
It could be a number of things really......bad gas, poor roads, engine needing a tune-up, lead foot, dragging brakes, plugged catalytic converter (if equipped), etc.

You are getting about half the mileage you should be getting, so I'm guessing it isn't something as simple as cleaning your throttle body. There is probably something more seriously wrong (although cleaning the TB & MAF won't hurt).

How many miles? Condition of the car? Don't laugh (I have no idea), but what are the roads like in Pakistan? I'm imagining that they suck, but I've never been there. What kind of traffic do you drive in? If the roads are always crowded and you're limping along in stop & go traffic your mileage will never be very good.

Again, it could be one of a number of factors or many combined factors as to why your mileage is low. It's going to be hard to pinpoint over the computer.
Old 11-20-2010, 03:31 PM   #4
Flipper_1938

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
!

Last edited by Flipper_1938; 12-17-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Flipper_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 10:34 AM   #5
kenora

Drives: 2009 Yaris LE 5 dr
The absolute worst mileage I can manage is in the winter (-30c) with shitty winter gas (plus 10% ethanol) and lots of snow to slog through, holds the car back like sand, add the inevitable too much idling (to keep from freezing) combined with stop and go traffic and short commutes can get me down around 350 -400 km per tank, that is brutal. :(
I have the bigger engine that should get crappier mileage though (4 cylinder 1.5 liter) so I think unless you are towing a trailer that something is wrong.

Last edited by kenora; 11-22-2010 at 09:19 AM.
kenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Before or while getting the MAF cleaned I would certainly start with changing the air filter. If you can not get a new one, at least bang the loose dust out of it.

Then look at your tires. Lo pressure in the tires will also hurt your fuel economy a noticeable amount. If the tire pressure is good, then look for a dragging brake caliper or badly worn suspension.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #7
Murtaza_murti

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryaris View Post
It could be a number of things really......bad gas, poor roads, engine needing a tune-up, lead foot, dragging brakes, plugged catalytic converter (if equipped), etc.

You are getting about half the mileage you should be getting, so I'm guessing it isn't something as simple as cleaning your throttle body. There is probably something more seriously wrong (although cleaning the TB & MAF won't hurt).

How many miles? Condition of the car? Don't laugh (I have no idea), but what are the roads like in Pakistan? I'm imagining that they suck, but I've never been there. What kind of traffic do you drive in? If the roads are always crowded and you're limping along in stop & go traffic your mileage will never be very good.

Again, it could be one of a number of factors or many combined factors as to why your mileage is low. It's going to be hard to pinpoint over the computer.

The car has completed 31,000Km's. The condition is very good, I take alot of care of my car's. I haven't repaired anything so far or had any engine trouble except the bad fuel average. The road's aren't that crappy I mean they're are some roads that have bump's, uneven patched area's, but not huge potholes etc.

I don't take it out the Belta much often, it's usually parked most of the time. The traffic is pretty rough here, stop's & go's are common.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:42 AM   #8
Murtaza_murti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flipper_1938 View Post
Also, what is the elevation of where you are? Higher elevation hurts gas mileage also.
The elevation of the city is 8 Meter's (26 feet), but the area's where I drive mostly have alot of uphill's and downhill's.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:45 AM   #9
Murtaza_murti

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenora View Post
The absolute worst mileage I can manage is in the winter (-30c) with shitty winter gas (plus 10% ethanol) and lots of snow to slog through, holds the car back like sand, add the inevitable too much idling (to keep from freezing) combined with stop and go traffic and short commutes can get me down around 350 -400 km per tank, that is brutal. :(
I have the bigger engine that should get crappier mileage though (4 cylinder 1.5 liter) so I think unless you are towing a trailer that something is wrong.
What mileage do you get normally? Excluding the winter season. The 1.0L 1KR-FE engine is suppose to give around 750-800 KM's in a full tank. I can't seem to find the problem with mine's.
Old 11-23-2010, 03:50 AM   #10
Murtaza_murti

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceShot View Post
Before or while getting the MAF cleaned I would certainly start with changing the air filter. If you can not get a new one, at least bang the loose dust out of it.

Then look at your tires. Lo pressure in the tires will also hurt your fuel economy a noticeable amount. If the tire pressure is good, then look for a dragging brake caliper or badly worn suspension.
I've changed the air filter about a month ago, since then I've only droven the car about 1000Km's. I got my tire rotated about two months ago, the front ones are kinda worn-out I moved those to the back and the ones in the back to the front.

I've recently noticed that my brake's are feeling softer than before, I need to get my brake pad's changed and my brake shoe's cleaned.
Old 11-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #11
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
The numbers you have given are unrealistic. 20 km/litre (5 litres/100kms) is well less than the official figures. If my memory serves me right, the official consumption figures for highway/city were 5,5 and 6,4 litres/100kms (1,0 HB).

You'll find that you usually fill up ca 37 litres at a time, because the fuel indicator actually shows empty (0kms range) when you've used up about 35 litres of fuel. That amount (37 litres) should be good for 500-600 kms of driving. The best I've ever done is 5,4 litres/100 kms and I've never ever had double digits for cunsumption (ie >10 litres/100 kms), even during weeks of blizzards and snow below -20C.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Murtaza_murti

Bump.
Old 12-03-2010, 01:41 PM   #13
Murtaza_murti

Bump.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Murtaza_murti

Bumping, again.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:01 PM   #15
Murtaza_murti

Anyone? Please help.
Old 12-20-2010, 09:49 PM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
dude go to a mechanic. If what you are saying is true something is prolly very wrong with your car. there is no way we could diagnose it over the internet.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:26 AM   #17
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
put tape over all the cracks and gaps in body :)
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #18
Yar Is Word

Drives: Yaris 5 door liftback
Hello!

Have you seen either of these forums?:

http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/

http://www.offroadpakistan.com/forum...pic.php?id=213
Closer to home, maybe someone there can recommend a good mechanic.

Here are Pakistani auto related classifieds:
http://www.olx.com.pk/q/motors/c-198

Hope you get your issue resolved soon without paying too much.
Yar Is Word is offline   Reply With Quote