Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-05-2009, 10:40 AM   #55
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
mariann,
It's pretty straight forward. Just cut the ziptie at the top of the cover VERY CARFULLY! Do not cut any of the wires, obviously, or you will be SOL big time. After cutting the ziptie, there are two clips on the left side of the cover. push them in and lift. Then you will see two hooks on the back of the cover, life the cover and pull so that hooks release. And to reinstall the cover just do the opposite. You will have to have a ziptie to replace the one you cut. If you don't have a ziptie, the clips and hooks will hold the cover in place, but the wires undernieth will be hanging loose. Here's some pics...hope they help.

Old 05-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #56
mariann

Drives: yaris 2007
thanks nickhjort. you really helped me.

any advice to my previuse post? can i connect the swich assembly directly to some wires on D3 connector or i'll need to run a wire through the firewall directly to the ECM an nichhjort did. the model is SOL 2007 liftback/hatchback european style(located in israel)
mariann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 01:51 PM   #57
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariann View Post
thanks nickhjort. you really helped me.

any advice to my previuse post? can i connect the swich assembly directly to some wires on D3 connector or i'll need to run a wire through the firewall directly to the ECM an nichhjort did. the model is SOL 2007 liftback/hatchback european style(located in israel)
Does you SOL have radio controls on the steering wheel? If so, I believe that the three wires shown in your picture are for that purpose. In your picture, Pin 1 and Pin are empty, so you will need to wire to the ECM, as nickhjort did.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 05:23 AM   #58
mariann

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Does you SOL have radio controls on the steering wheel? If so, I believe that the three wires shown in your picture are for that purpose. In your picture, Pin 1 and Pin are empty, so you will need to wire to the ECM, as nickhjort did.
i dont have radio controll or shift controll on my steering wheel. the only thing i got is the horn and the airbag
i wonder what thoes wire for.

anyway. i hope i'll buy the swiches and resistors today and even install them (or tomorow). seems really easey. i'm preety good with wires throught the firewall, did it befor.

wish me luck
Old 05-06-2009, 06:33 AM   #59
stran

Drives: '07 Yaris 3D HB Auto
Quote:
Correct. That's what I did with mine. In any vehicle that I've had with cruise, I never find myself using the tap up/down or coast/resume, so I just went with two switches.
If you push once to turn the cruise switch on. Then turn off the car, and turn the car back on again. Is cruise still on?
stran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #60
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stran View Post
If you push once to turn the cruise switch on. Then turn off the car, and turn the car back on again. Is cruise still on?
No. It resets with the ignition.
Old 05-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #61
mariann

it a wired question but...
i understand the on/off buton is for turning the cruise controll on and off
so whats the set button does? why i need two buttons? any one can explain me how to work with cruise controll?
Old 05-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #62
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariann View Post
it a wired question but...
i understand the on/off buton is for turning the cruise controll on and off
so whats the set button does? why i need two buttons? any one can explain me how to work with cruise controll?
On/Off turns the cruise control mode on or off.
Set selects the desired speed (above 25mph).

So, you can turn it on at any time, then, once you want to be in cruise mode, you attain your desired speed, and press the set button. At that point you can take your foot off of the accelerator.

To resume manual speed control, you either press the on/off button or touch the brake pedal.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:01 AM   #63
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

The on/off button just enables the cruise control. When you push the set button, that's when the ecm know what speed to keep the engine cruising at. Usualy right when i turn my car on I hit the cruise on/off button. Then when I hit the highway and get to the speed I want, I hit the set button and the car remains at that speed. The way CTScott set up the two button system (I have them set up the same way and have tested this), you can also use the set button as the -1mph button...meaning if you're cruise is set at a certain speed and you want it to be just a little bit slower, whenever you hit the set button again it will decrease the speed 1mph. Or you can hold the set button and you will start coasting and when you slow down to your desired speed, you let go of the set button and it will remain at whatever speed you were at when you let go. Hope this explains it well enough mariann.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:02 AM   #64
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Quote:
To resume manual speed control, you either press the on/off button or touch the brake pedal.
Or hit the clutch once you install the clutch switch am I right?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #65
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
Or hit the clutch once you install the clutch switch am I right?
Correct.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #66
andru47

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3DR LB
Send a message via AIM to andru47
Does anyone have the instructions for the clutch switch for 09 5spd?

Thanks Scott! Now I have a summer project to keep me busy!
Old 05-06-2009, 12:11 PM   #67
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by andru47 View Post
Does anyone have the instructions for the clutch switch for 09 5spd?

Thanks Scott! Now I have a summer project to keep me busy!
Check this out. It's for a Matrix, but the Yaris one is identical in looks and mounting:

http://matrixowners.com/index.php?ac...r&f=23&t=71247
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #68
mariann

i got the parts. i finish building the prototype (not gonna drill button holes in my dashboard if it will not work. right?
and found that the store gave me N.C buttons insted N.O... i'll drive there tomorow.

any way. i hope the last question. one wire goes to the ECM pin 40 and the other to the ground? or pozitive?

by looking at the schematics its shuld go to the ground. but last chack with you guys if i right.

hope i'll install it tomorow
Old 05-06-2009, 12:41 PM   #69
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

The other wire goes to a ground point, yes.
Old 05-09-2009, 01:04 AM   #70
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Quote:
No. It mounts under them, and the connector for the spiral cable is buried under there as well. Removing them is not a huge deal, it just requires some caution and care to not pop the airbag or break the clockspring.
Snapping the clockspring is a big concern. Very fragile piece. Airbag: not so much. Too many fail-safes built-in due to liability concerns.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:05 PM   #71
expo2

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I'd like to do this mod to my '08 HB with no CC wiring or dash symbol. I'll run a wire from the ECM A21 connector @ position #40 then to the aftermarket on/off cruise switch.

My question is this: I'd like to have an LED light to indicate when the "cruise control" is "on." Where can I find a hot wire for the LED?
expo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 PM   #72
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by expo2 View Post
I'd like to do this mod to my '08 HB with no CC wiring or dash symbol. I'll run a wire from the ECM A21 connector @ position #40 then to the aftermarket on/off cruise switch.

My question is this: I'd like to have an LED light to indicate when the "cruise control" is "on." Where can I find a hot wire for the LED?
The real cruise light is controlled by the combination meter, which gets the info about cruise mode over the CAN bus from the ECM, so there's no easy wire to connect the LED to.