Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #1
Wita09

Drives: 09 Yaris Hatchback
Long drive with a Yaris hatchback

Doubt about driving my Yaris from Los Angeles to San Francisco last weekend with the bad weather. The person at the gasoline station when I was filling up was even surprised when I told him that I’m driving north with my car. We took the 5N going there and 101S going home, well to my surprised the Yaris performed beyond my expectations, It handled well on both freeways (it was raining on our way home) and it took San Francisco streets (potholes, steep climbs, lot of turns) with ease. When we got home, all my doubts with my car is gone. Now I really think that I made the right decision when I got may Yaris.

P.S. Only mechanical modications: NF210 lowering springs, TRD rear sway bar

Last edited by Wita09; 01-27-2010 at 03:24 PM.
Wita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 02:55 PM   #2
eht13

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wita09 View Post
The person at the gasoline station when I was filling up was even surprised when I told him that I’m driving north with my car.
That's because plenty of people are ignorant about how good the car actually is.
eht13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Yup, the Yaris will never let you down as long you keep-up on the maintenance.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
coffiend

Drives: 08 Black LB
Lol not to be rude but what new car can't turn and go up hills and drive in the rain....?
coffiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:30 PM   #5
Wita09

I know it can turn, go up hills, drive in the rain but the small Yaris car taking it with ease was the surprise.

Last edited by Wita09; 01-27-2010 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 AM   #6
aden

Drives: yaris
lol...guess what, few people that mocked me for driving this sub compact actually sold their guzzlers/clunkers and bought a yaris..so much for ridiculing me and so much for saving on gas...now a couple of them stopped to thank me and that they dont swipe their cards as often at the gas stations.....
aden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 AM   #7
alan1828

Drives: 2009 Vitz RS
Send a message via ICQ to alan1828 Send a message via MSN to alan1828 Send a message via Yahoo to alan1828
Come to think of it I may visit my good friend who lives in Ohio. Last year he drove a Honda Element from Ohio to Toronto 4 hrs drive, I think I can do better.... What do you guys think?
alan1828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:11 AM   #8
rwyu

Drives: 2010 Yaris; 2008 BMW 335i
Quote:
Doubt about driving my Yaris from Los Angeles to San Francisco last weekend with the bad weather. The person at the gasoline station when I was filling up was even surprised when I told him that I’m driving north with my car. We took the 5N going there and 101S going home, well to my surprised the Yaris performed beyond my expectations, It handled well on both freeways (it was raining on our way home) and it took San Francisco streets (potholes, steep climbs, lot of turns) with ease. When we got home, all my doubts with my car is gone. Now I really think that I made the right decision when I got may Yaris.

P.S. Only mechanical modications: NF210 lowering springs, TRD rear sway bar
How does the 5N run parallel with 101S in going up to Bay Area? Only time they meet is the junction point in LA area. Last I checked, you must have crossed the 580W and 80W to get on the 101S. I am from the bay area and go up there very OFTEN.

-Richard
rwyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 04:46 AM   #9
Wita09

You are right, you have to take the 80 and 580 but after that it's either the 101 or the 5.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:34 AM   #10
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan1828 View Post
Come to think of it I may visit my good friend who lives in Ohio. Last year he drove a Honda Element from Ohio to Toronto 4 hrs drive, I think I can do better.... What do you guys think?

No problem!
I drove my sedan from Burlington to Regina Sk over two days last April. Friday eve 4 hours to Flint, MI, Saturday 14 hours to Fargo ND, Sunday 8 hours into Regina. We arrived as fresh as a daisy. Made the trip back home a week later in two days, Regina to Madison Wi, Madison to Burlington.
The Yaris ran like a trooper. The only thing I'd do different is run summer tires because the winter boots sure howl at 85 mph on those concrete interstates.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #11
Snyprwlf47
The Martian

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to Snyprwlf47 Send a message via Yahoo to Snyprwlf47
I just got done pulling a 1000lb trailer 700Miles through the mountains, power and turning were not a problem. Trailer sway was terrible though-Scary-
Old 01-28-2010, 10:37 AM   #12
Yarrris-Wench
Keep To The Code

Drives: Red 2009 Toyo Yaris- Isabella
Send a message via AIM to Yarrris-Wench
Quote:
When we got home, all my doubts with my car is gone. Now I really think that I made the right decision when I got may Yaris.
My little Yaris 3dr hatch made it from York, Pennsylvania to San Antonio Texas absolutely beautifully. I'd say 1735 (approx) miles is quite a test to pass & boy did my little pirate ship pass with flying colors! Pirate colors of course...

PS. My car is completely stock... nothing changed or added at all!
Tail Lights, HIDs, Tint, Rear Speaker Box & Amp(Boom Boom :P)

Yarrris-Wench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #13
Vang

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyprwlf47 View Post
I just got done pulling a 1000lb trailer 700Miles through the mountains, power and turning were not a problem. Trailer sway was terrible though-Scary-
you were towing with a yaris?!
Vang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #14
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyprwlf47 View Post
Trailer sway is commonly caused by too little tongue weight. Shifting your load forward slightly would likely have corrected that nerve-raking and dangerous sway condition.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
Yup, the Yaris will never let you down as long you keep-up on the maintenance.

like an old Tercel... or a batshiat grandmother..... will never die.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:18 AM   #16
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I drive my Yaris from SoCal to NorCal all the time on the 5, it's no big deal. I go to San Francisco a lot too and I was a bit nervous the first time with all the steep hills but the Yaris handled it like a champ.

This past December, I drove to NorCal during the time when there was crazy ass rainstorms all over CA, it was pounding big time for the entire 5 hour trip. I was a little nervous about the heavy rain because I have the AFE air filter in my car, and I don't have the hood sealed but still, I had no problems.

As a matter of fact, the coolant fan for my car wasn't working at all for a while and I drove up and down the state a bunch of times always without problems (even through the Grapevine), so it just goes to show you how much the Yaris can take.

Fan is fixed btw, blown fuse, thanks again CTScott.
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote