Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Causes of slightly more worn inside and outside edges?

I replaced my tires after getting nearly 100,000 miles out of them (Yes that's correct...and the centers STILL had a bit of meat left!) and noticed that the edges though on pretty much all four tires were worn down near bald on the inside and outer sides. Is there any cause for this? I do have tein springs and a rear sway bar but those shouldn't affect the edges like that would it? The alignment has always been pretty good too, within spec.

I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:10 PM   #2
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
what were your camber specs set at? Lowering the car should not have too much camber effect on the rear but it still may have been slightly altered?

Are you cornering hard ever?

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
All four corners, under-inflated would be my initial guess.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:17 PM   #4
detroiter

I don't have the specs numbers on me but I know when I get an alignment check every so often, they are always in spec and if they are not, they get fixed. I do admittingly take some corners fast every so often but not all the time. Would fast corners wear the inside and outer edges out?
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
Form>Function

Drives: 07 Flint Sedan
without proper inflation, pushing the car to its limits could put more stress on the tires in the wrong areas/ways.

Unless you have aftermarket camber arms/plates/bolts/shims to recorrect you could still have the camber knocked out spec.

1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #6
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
All four corners, under-inflated would be my initial guess.
Yes, under-inflation is the textbook cause of simultaneous wear on both outer edges. Over-inflation on the other hand causes center wear.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
detroiter

Hard cornering wouldn't cause inside and outside edge wear? I'm just trying to solve this one and know for sure what caused it
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #8
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
Hard cornering wouldn't cause inside and outside edge wear? I'm just trying to solve this one and know for sure what caused it
Hard cornering is just one factor. Alignment and tire pressure are other factors. I think toe being off is the number 1 killer for tires, followed by camber...if we're just looking at alignment.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #9
Kaotic Lazagna

Compare your tire wear with this:

http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html
Old 08-30-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Viperoni

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
FWIW guys, my race tires, which I do drive on the street a bit, have the same kinda wear.
-1.5* camber wears out the inner edge, and racing kills the outer edge.

OP, if you don't race teh car, it's either your inflation pressure or a very screwed up alignment lol
2005 Toyota Echo RS 4dr hatch - Cyl #3 bad - sold
2000 Toyota Echo 2dr coupe - The track car - rusty & scrapped
Viperoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viperoni View Post
FWIW guys, my race tires, which I do drive on the street a bit, have the same kinda wear.
-1.5* camber wears out the inner edge, and racing kills the outer edge.

OP, if you don't race teh car, it's either your inflation pressure or a very screwed up alignment lol
Yeah, when I had my Falken Ziex 912's on my ADR rims, I always had them set to max psi (what ever it was on the sidewall, can't remember), and took on ramps and corners pretty quickly. I got 30k miles out of them before I decided to sell the rims and tires (probably still had at least 5k miles left on them), even wear all around on all four tires. Kept my alignment good and rotated my tires when ever America's Tire would remind me to.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:27 AM   #12
detroiter

It must be the tire pressure then because I always made sure the alignment was in spec. It's lowered and has a rear sway bar but yeah, it was ALWAYS in spec, especially the rears. I never had an issue with them
Old 08-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #13
CoryM

Drives: 2009 5-door, 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I replaced my tires after getting nearly 100,000 miles out of them
So chances are if you got that many miles out of them, you don't corner hard enough to cause poor wear. How much tread was left in the center? It's common for the edges to wear first even if everything is correct. Especially on skinny/tall tires like on a Yaris. You can bump up your pressures a little, but with 100,000mi service life....... I think you are fine (I get around 15,000mi out of my all-seasons.... winter autoX )
CoryM is offline   Reply With Quote