Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
PSYS
Resident Ninja

Drives: 2007 Yaris S sedan.
All Season Wheel/Tire Combo...?

I'm a n00b, but did a search & didn't find anything this specific.

'07 Sedan. Bone stock for the moment (aside from a custom paintjob)
I'm hoping to add a mild drop to my ride something like the Pro-Kit from Eibach or H&R Sport Springs.

I'm thinking about going with a 15x6.5 wheel / 38mm offset.
I found a decent deal on these. They caught my eye because of the matte/satin black finish similar to my paintjob.

I'm curious if anyone runs the same aftermarket wheel/tire combo year round (summer/winter) on a modified suspension...? If so, what tire size are you using & what tire have you had the most luck with for winter use...? Does such a thing exist...?

My stock 185/60-15's using a decent all-season tire from BF Goodrich isn't as great as an actual "snow" tire, but it does alright in the winter here in Wisconsin. With the new wheels + modified suspension, could I get away with a 195/55-15? 205/55-15? Anyone else running a similar set-up faced with snow & ice each year provided I use a decent all-season tire?

Pic of my ride because I'm new here and just 'cuz... :)

PSYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
I would suggest a '4-season' tire as opposed to an 'all-season/no-season' which might suffice in Mexico, but not wintery Wisconsin.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 05:32 PM   #3
PSYS
Resident Ninja

Drives: 2007 Yaris S sedan.
You're absolutely correct. That would be "4-season / Grand Touring" instead of all-season tires.

Does anyone know given a mild drop (less than 1.5"), what's the widest 15" diameter tire I could feasibly get away with while still providing decent traction during the winter months? i.e., keeping the same wheel/tire package year round.

Could I realistically run a 205/60-15 or a 205/65-15?

In other words, I'm attemping to do a few things:

1.) Lower the vehicle no more than 1.5"
2.) Obtain decent traction during the winter months by using the same wheel/tire package all year.

3.) Have NO and/or minimal rubbing (except hard cornering) while at the same time filling any wheel gap.
Old 09-10-2012, 05:08 PM   #4
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
205/50-15. The sizes you mention above will be too tall. As you increase width you must lower the aspect ratio to stay at, or close to the OEM diameter.
Check the chart in a post pinned atop this section. It shows all the possible combinations.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote