Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-02-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
monchito18

Drives: Yaris sedan
Send a message via MSN to monchito18
Really Bad Engine Sludge...

I have used cheap "total" conventional oil each 5k miles and well now I have a big sludge issue...

I don't trust on those engine flushes since they can harm my engine alot, so does switching to full synthetic oil like mobil 1 will help me clean almost all that sludge?

I was thinking on following this steps:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...o_Mobil_1.aspx

"The only exception to this is with a higher-mileage engine that has never used synthetic motor oil, or with an engine that has used conventional motor oil and been poorly maintained. In these cases, you should still follow the same basic oil-change procedures (drain the old oil, remove the old oil filter, put in new Mobil 1 and put on a new oil filter), but you should follow a regimen of one or two shortened oil-change intervals. For instance, let’s say that your regular oil change interval is 5,000 miles. If you’re switching to Mobil 1 under the circumstances mentioned above, make your next Mobil 1 oil change in 2,500 miles, your third Mobil 1 oil change 3,500 miles after that, and then follow your normal 5,000 mile oil-change interval. The reasoning behind this staggered interval is that a high-mileage engine, or one that has seen infrequent oil changes, will likely have a considerable build-up of sludge and deposits. Mobil 1 will help clean the engine as you drive, but it will have to work much harder in a very “dirty” engine, and so it is best to change the oil more frequently for those first few thousand miles. After that, you can rest assured that Mobil 1 is continuing to keep your engine running clean and well lubricated for mile after mile.'

The car has 76k miles!
Advices are really Welcome!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 07:07 PM   #2
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
one littler of transmission oil with regular oil will clean her up with no harm.
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
Just out of curiosity, what is cheap 'total' conventional oil?
What is the brand and weight?

If you are changing the oil pretty much every 5,000 miles and it looks like that under the cap, could be a combination of cheaper oil & more severe driving.

I don't trust engine additives or flushes, either. You need to start using a better quality conventional or synthetic blend oil. Try a few shorter (2000-3000) mile oil change intervals with either Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (I believe they call it Pennzoil Gold) If these are available on your island of P.R. - Change the filter each time! If you are a 'spirited' driver I suggest you shorten your OCI a little bit (in the future) Use a BETTER quality oil & it will clean that varnishing up before you hit 100,000 miles.

Shorten your oil change interval, change the filter each time & use a better quality oil.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
monchito18

Quote:
Originally Posted by yougojay View Post
Just out of curiosity, what is cheap 'total' conventional oil?
What is the brand and weight?

If you are changing the oil pretty much every 5,000 miles and it looks like that under the cap, could be a combination of cheaper oil & more severe driving.

I don't trust engine additives or flushes, either. You need to start using a better quality conventional or synthetic blend oil. Try a few shorter (2000-3000) mile oil change intervals with either Pennzoil Yellow Bottle or Pennzoil Synthetic Blend (I believe they call it Pennzoil Gold) If these are available on your island of P.R. - Change the filter each time! If you are a 'spirited' driver I suggest you shorten your OCI a little bit (in the future) Use a BETTER quality oil & it will clean that varnishing up before you hit 100,000 miles.

Shorten your oil change interval, change the filter each time & use a better quality oil.

Yea it's cheap. Im using the 10w-30

That was one answer I was looking for. I was thinking on changing to a good full synthetic like mobil 1 and make shorter OCI and see if it actually cleans it in time.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
yougojay
25, 550 MILES!

Drives: Yaris L Coupe
I thought that was the oil (Total-Total Quartz) Not familiar with it personally but I've seen mention of it on the oil forums.
Mobil 1 is a quality oil, it has a ton of followers. Heck, I just changed the oil on our Benz, used Mobil 1 0W-40

Yes, use a high quality oil, and change it out at shorter intervals.
yougojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Wow Ive heard about this sludge thing but always assumed the people with the problem weren't changing their oil.

Im not seeing any labels on the oil like SM etc.

Looks to me like you've might have non detergent/bogus oil there.

Yeah put in Mobile One run it 500 miles and repeat three times...
Old 05-02-2014, 10:11 PM   #7
ezhacker1

Drives: Decepticon - Ravage
How bought some seafoam in the oil? Then drain and refil with good synthetic a few times. That sludge looks horrible.

Check out my Build thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52274
ezhacker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
ATF has detergent in it so it will clean light sludge out of the motor.....I'm not joking does work well run car with it for 10 or so min drain etc

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
What are the driving conditions? Idling a lot? Short trips? I can't tell much from that picture, but if you've been changing it at 5,000 miles I would worry about it. Did you buy the car new or used?
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 PM   #10
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
How about running a can of Seafoam in the oil crankcase? That should clear it right up. Just don't forget to change the oil very soon after.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #11
monchito18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-x-fire View Post
What are the driving conditions? Idling a lot? Short trips? I can't tell much from that picture, but if you've been changing it at 5,000 miles I would worry about it. Did you buy the car new or used?
short drives.
New 0 miles in 2008
it's a 2009 Sedan
Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM   #12
monchito18

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
How about running a can of Seafoam in the oil crankcase? That should clear it right up. Just don't forget to change the oil very soon after.
I don't trust much :/
Old 05-03-2014, 12:36 PM   #13
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
If you do a lot of short drives, ie, less than 6miles trip, you need to change your oil more often.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:55 PM   #14
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Well no disrespect but I'm sure the Seafoam is worth a try. If you trust that oil..of which did what it did to you...there's no harm in trusting Seafoam once or twice.
I live my life a quarter pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, I'm free. I need FRIES! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didn't blow the seam on your nugget box. There she is, 2 pounds of pure beef. My dad ate it in 9.0 seconds flat. Check it out, it's like this. If I lose, winner takes my happy meal. But if I win, I take the burger and the toy. To some people, that's more important.
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #15
ex-x-fire

Drives: 2010 yaris 3 door hatch
Yeah, change it more often. Take it out for a good long run a couple times a month. This will get rid of the moisture in the oil.
ex-x-fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #16
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by monchito18 View Post
I don't trust on those engine flushes since they can harm my engine alot,
What a bunch of BS. Coming from someone who "trusted" cheap "total" oil that screwed up the engine already. Good luck my friend.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:26 AM   #17
trunkout
4 years of P90X!

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
I don't remember the last time I saw sludge in one of my engines. I don't remember the last time I DIDN'T use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, either. Every 10,000 miles, too.
trunkout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 11:18 AM   #18
monchito18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunkout View Post
I don't remember the last time I saw sludge in one of my engines. I don't remember the last time I DIDN'T use Mobil 1 Full Synthetic, either. Every 10,000 miles, too.

what filter can I use with it?