Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #1
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
What is your take on titanium/aluminum lugnuts?

I am looking to get this set more for looks than for performance

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorilla-Anod...f43776&vxp=mtr

Price is about twice the cost as steel. They look nicer and ofcourse you have the added benefit of less rotational/unsprung mass.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Really the only thing that I have in regards to input is that I find it interesting how they call these racing lugs when, at least in my type of racing is involved, you have to use open ended lugs only to be able to pass safety inspections to race. I do suppose there is the whole weight discussion that could be had as well. I would be interested to see what really true weight numbers are in comparison. I have Muteki NeoChrome open ended titanium lugs and love them. The ones you are of course referencing here are Gorilla brand. I have had mine now for going on three years without issue or complaint. The reduced weight is nice when having to move the box of them around I suppose.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
UberSilver

Drives: 08Yaris2D, 88LandCruiser.
I'd do it, if I had low weight rims. They look good and a known good brand as well.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #4
mr_miles

Drives: 2013 Yaris
I like mine, I have a set of open ended Muteki's, and a set of Blox aluminum lugs - my favorite. If you plan on buying lugs like those, call Jeff / Garm. pretty sure I paid less than that for mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
Ahhh now I see. Your backseat pulls out, but you don't. :)
mr_miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:34 PM   #5
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
lighter is always better.
Old 04-21-2013, 12:07 AM   #6
bzinn 1

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I have used two differant sets over 4 years of the Rays nuts....no problems with either one....one set is a short set and the other extended...

if you go with Rays do your research and make sure you do not by a fake set....but honestly if I had not gotten them NIB used...they did not fit on my buddies rims so I got them for very cheap...I would not of spent the $200 a set they cost...
bzinn 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 11:12 PM   #7
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzinn 1 View Post
I have used two differant sets over 4 years of the Rays nuts....no problems with either one....one set is a short set and the other extended...

if you go with Rays do your research and make sure you do not by a fake set....but honestly if I had not gotten them NIB used...they did not fit on my buddies rims so I got them for very cheap...I would not of spent the $200 a set they cost...
If I didn't buy the absolute lightest wheels possible, I would not have bothered with them either. The price is extreme.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #8
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
These are for show, not for go. Do not use these if you plan regular tire changes. They are a pain in the @ss.

We did a tire test and the FR-S Cusco provided had aluminum lugs. They were a good quality piece, but every time you took them off they left tiny shards of aluminum on the studs - and we were breaking them loose by hand, no impact guns due to them be aluminum. You had to take the time to clean the threads and blow out the nut every time or risk them getting fouled. We also lost of lot time between tire changes waiting for the hubs/nuts to cool before we broke them loose so we would not tear the threads out of the soft aluminum.

On our race cars we use a short open ended steel lug, and it weighs only fractionally more than the blinged out aluminum stuff.

As for the real titanium stuff, for the $500 they cost you can save a lot more weight elsewhere on the car.