Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Third Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Third Gen Yaris General Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-19-2015, 11:46 PM   #1
timothyone

Drives: 2014 l standard 3 door
Yaris officially pronounced garbage by U.S. NEWS

U.S. News list of best new cars puts the Yaris behind the Fit, the Golf, the Kia Soul, the Subaru WRX, the Cruze, the Focus, The Kia Forte, the Fiesta, the Sonic, the Volt, the Spark, the Impressa, the Jetta, the Dart, the VW Eos, and the Fiat 500. We Yaris owners are all fools, and the Yaris is a real piece of garbage. I think I'll trade mine in on a new Chrysler before word gets out.
http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...le-Small-Cars/
timothyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 12:52 AM   #2
jpmck03

Drives: 2018 Volkswagen GTI
That is the most ridiculous list I've seen in quite a while...
Quote:
View the best small cars generally priced under $20,000. Compare small car reviews, specs and features for your top small cars.
WRX ... "avg. paid" starts at $27,071
Verano ... $24,333
Volt ... $33,527!!
Prius ... $23,976
Spark EV ... $26,612
Mini ... $20,903
Leaf ... $28,450

etc...

I mean, for f***'s sake, if you're going to start your list off saying that you're rating cars that are under $20k, you sure as hell shouldn't go on to list a dozen cars that are over $20k!!

And let's not forget that the Prius and plug-in Prius is mid-sized, not "small"/compact!

jpmck03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
It looks like they judge the cars on a bunch of factors.

For me, I don't care about having the latest technology and features. Pretty much all that matters to me is price, reliability (or presumed reliability), and fuel efficiency. Sure, the Yaris lacks many of the gadgets of its competitors, but I simply don't care. I understand that many others do, however.
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:23 PM   #4
The Limo 2

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I have two criteria for a car.

It runs
It is paid for

My 2007 yaris fits this criteria perfectly so I do not listen to what anyone else says.
Roy
The Limo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #5
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I wouldn't take this list to heart. And who cares what they say? :)
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 04:48 PM   #6
Kar98

Drives: 2011 Scion tC
Quote:
Critics think the 2015 Yaris’ four-cylinder engine is powerful enough to get around town, but that its transmission options hinder its drivability. Some say the standard five-speed manual transmission has a light clutch with a tricky engagement point,
Well... that's not wrong. And try to even find one with the manual. Anyway, most of the cars in the list cost thousands more than the Yaris. Near enough the only cars that belong into this list (to make it comparable to the Yaris) are the Dodge Colt (excuse me, Mitsubishi Mirage), the Chevy Spark and the Nissan Versa.
Kar98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #7
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Even though the numerical ranking is pretty low, some of the comments they pulled from outside reviews were reasonably complimentary.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #8
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by nookandcrannycar View Post
Even though the numerical ranking is pretty low, some of the comments they pulled from outside reviews were reasonably complimentary.
"It does not boast best-in-class horsepower, the most gears in its transmission, quickest acceleration or highest fuel economy. Instead, it entices educated shoppers who value an attractive sticker price, low cost of ownership and time-proven reliability. The Yaris is not the most exciting or best-driving vehicle in the subcompact segment, but its quantifiable strengths appear to make it the most trusted choice - a much-respected position that appears to sit just fine with Toyota." -- Autoblog
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:55 PM   #9
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
For me, I don't care about having the latest technology and features. Pretty much all that matters to me is price, reliability (or presumed reliability), and fuel efficiency. Sure, the Yaris lacks many of the gadgets of its competitors, but I simply don't care.
Absolutely agree!
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:08 PM   #10
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I wouldn't take this list to heart. And who cares what they say? :)
Agreed. I bet you a short-bus rider can offer an equally (or maybe even better) honest and realistic review compared to a true inexperienced (hypo)critic at this point.

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:03 PM   #11
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Please don't feed the blog trolls.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #12
timothyone

The problem with this biased list from U.S. News is that most people will only take notice of the rankings. It will be assumed that if the Yaris comes near last on the list there must be good reason. Why take the time to read the fine print when the work has been done and summarised for you with numbers? What bothers me most is the fact that Toyota is being attacked by automakers who choose to compete with slime and propaganda rather than provide a quality product. If they succeed, and Toyota is forced to 'Americanize' their product by dropping quality, we will all lose. American cars are as good as they are only because of cheap, high quality imports from Japan. Rather than ask us to be 'patriots' by buying their junk, our manufacturers should lead the patriotic way by giving us a more reasonable American made choice.
Old 02-20-2015, 09:46 PM   #13
timothyone

Here's a good example of the " the latest technology and features" that make cars like the Cruze more appealing to American car buyers! Now I understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwQ0F0FDJts
Old 02-21-2015, 09:40 PM   #14
Septembersrain
♣♀Yaris'ing♀♣

Drives: 2013 Yaris 3-Door LE ~Pearl~
Quote:
Originally Posted by matti View Post
It looks like they judge the cars on a bunch of factors.

For me, I don't care about having the latest technology and features. Pretty much all that matters to me is price, reliability (or presumed reliability), and fuel efficiency. Sure, the Yaris lacks many of the gadgets of its competitors, but I simply don't care. I understand that many others do, however.

I chose the Yaris because it wasn't filled to the brim like an airplane cockpit. I wanted reliability without all that extra crap that'll just break and cost me a fortune right fix later! Besides, I enjoy my little car. Seriously.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:27 PM   #15
matti

Drives: 2017 Yaris L (5sp manual)
"Instead, it entices educated shoppers who value an attractive sticker price, low cost of ownership and time-proven reliability."

Yes!
matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:28 AM   #16
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
At this point if Toyota is to continue to compete then they need to step up their game in the creature comfort area. period. doesn't matter if we agree or not. they are offering so much more around the rest of the globe yet they offer bullshit options in North America. totally don't understand their strategy here. reliability is increasing with all of the players out there so Yota needs to step it up honestly. The Yaris platform is very dated sad to say and the drivetrain is 15 years old now. I suppose one could argue that GM had a 40+ year run with their 350. I love my sedan but I doubt I will buy a Corolla to replace it as a DD later this year. At this point I am fixin to defect from Yota altogether since it looks like the Taco is going to be a disappointment too.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 12:44 AM   #17
nookandcrannycar

Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothyone View Post
Here's a good example of the " the latest technology and features" that make cars like the Cruze more appealing to American car buyers! Now I understand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwQ0F0FDJts
. Made me think about the songs where Clear Channel stations change the lyrics. The one I hear most often is a line from The Steve Miller Band song 'Jet Airliner'. Clear Channel stations change the s**t in the line 'funky s**t goin' down in the city' to 'funky kicks goin' down in the city'.
these lyric changes have been going on fotr a long time,

This is a separate issue from 'The 2001 Clear Channel Memorandum' in which Clear Channel, after the 9/11 attacks, suggested to its stations that they not play 165 specific songs.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:51 AM   #18
nookandcrannycar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
"It does not boast best-in-class horsepower, the most gears in its transmission, quickest acceleration or highest fuel economy. Instead, it entices educated shoppers who value an attractive sticker price, low cost of ownership and time-proven reliability. The Yaris is not the most exciting or best-driving vehicle in the subcompact segment, but its quantifiable strengths appear to make it the most trusted choice - a much-respected position that appears to sit just fine with Toyota." -- Autoblog
Yeah, that was the review I thought most about while writing that post.....especially the line that matti later singles out in post #15.

Tags
best new car, list, u.s. news, yaris