Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #1
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Advice on purchasing amp + sub(s)

Hey guys, I'm in the market for an amp and subwoofer(s). I've been reading through several sites and some say that I should buy a monoamp for the sub; however, I do have component speakers and would like some advise if I should buy a monoamp for just the sub or getting a 4-channel amp . I know I need to look at the RMS requirements for the sub(s) and choose an amp from there. I do plan to take my time since I'm still collecting information still, but any advise would be appreciated. As for price, let's just say my price range is $500-600.

If it helps, here is what I have installed currently.
I have Pioneer TS-A1304C (front speakers + tweeters),
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA1...-a1304c&tp=106

Pioneer AVH-P4400BH (HU),
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130P440...H-P4400BH.html

Pioneer TS-A1684R (rear speakers)
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130TSA1...s-a1684r&tp=95
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #2
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
What size subs ?

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 03-09-2013 at 03:11 PM.
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
What size subs ?
I think I've decided on one 12" - I don't know if two 10" subs are better or one 12" (I'm not completely sure if two 12" can actually fit in my 07 HB.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:23 PM   #4
_S7V7N_

Alright i have an idea . But i need to run to the store. Check back in an hour or 2. One of the other guys may chime in as well for some other ideas.

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Separate amp for sub is pretty much always preferred.. try something from pioneers or alpines

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-MRP-M500.html

For front speakers - I am hearing some crazily good opiions on these guys (good sounding D class)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-PRS-D800.html

For rears - you can just use your HU's internal amps .. rears play sort of auxiliary role in the average SQ system
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
TOLMACH

Drives: soarer
Quality stuff inside
http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=h...QEwBA&dur=2674
TOLMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #7
_S7V7N_

How old are them Components and the 6.5's ?

And how much did you pay for them ?

35 Rms
50 Rms Do you plan on upgrading in the future ?

Adding an Amp will help a bit, but you won't be able to put to much to them speakers. You'll have to be extra extra careful with the volume on your headunit and the gain on the amps.

We can suggest you a few amps that will do 50x4 RMS but to be honest, i'd go ahead and get a good sized 4 channel so you won't have to sell when you decide to upgrade.

Please don't take me as being rude this is my honest opinion.

I'd sell your current components and them 6.5's try to get at least $150.
From there we can suggest a few diff component sets.
Do away with the rear speakers. (The sub is going to cancel them out either way ) or pick some cheap ones for fill ins.

After your input we'll talk more about amps.

Last edited by _S7V7N_; 03-09-2013 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:22 PM   #8
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOLMACH View Post
Separate amp for sub is pretty much always preferred.. try something from pioneers or alpines

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-MRP-M500.html

For front speakers - I am hearing some crazily good opiions on these guys (good sounding D class)
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-PRS-D800.html

For rears - you can just use your HU's internal amps .. rears play sort of auxiliary role in the average SQ system
Why would a separate amp be preferred for the sub? I can't find any literature about this specific topic.

Quote:
How old are them Components and the 6.5's ?

And how much did you pay for them ?

35 Rms
50 Rms Do you plan on upgrading in the future ?

Adding an Amp will help a bit, but you won't be able to put to much to them speakers. You'll have to be extra extra careful with the volume on your headunit and the gain on the amps.

We can suggest you a few amps that will do 50x4 RMS but to be honest, i'd go ahead and get a good sized 4 channel so you won't have to sell when you decide to upgrade.

Please don't take me as being rude this is my honest opinion.

I'd sell your current components and them 6.5's try to get at least $150.
From there we can suggest a few diff component sets.
Do away with the rear speakers. (The sub is going to cancel them out either way ) or pick some cheap ones for fill ins.

After your input we'll talk more about amps.
I did realize after I bought them that they were weak compared to others and I just didn't do enough research into the subject. The components are only about three months old. I was hoping for better response about the fronts, but I do understand where you are coming from. I think bought the speakers for about $150-170.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:37 PM   #9
_S7V7N_

If you could get a hundred bucks for them you could grab some PowerBass like i have pictured in the other post.
Derick and Sq could probably suggest some others in the price range. And i believe with a spacer you can fit 6.5's in your fronts. Hell i think Sq squeezed some 8's in his 6.5 spaces. We have Sedans.

Reminder :

Ebay Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERBASS-2X...item2c6c957bb2

Power Handling: 360W peak per pair (180 watts), RMS: 180W per pair / 90 watts each side
50/50 Wool blend cone delivers smooth, natural sound reproduction
Butyl rubber surround
Pivot point 1" silk dome tweeter for accurate treble
Mounting kit for the tweeter allows the tweeter to focus the sound in the needed direction
Convertible mounting system allows the speakers to be mounted as a separate component system or a coaxial speaker
Rigid tooled basket with a stainless steel finish
Heavy motor structure with protective boot increases the power handling
PBX custom grille included protects your speakers and makes them look great
External 12dB 2-way crossover network
3 ohms impedance
High temperature voice coil
Top-mount depth: 2-1/2"
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Frequency Response: 59 - 20,000 Hz

Old 03-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #10
_S7V7N_

As far as subs go you want subs in a box ? Or you can build your own ?

How much trunk space you want to lose ?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
If you could get a hundred bucks for them you could grab some PowerBass like i have pictured in the other post.
Derick and Sq could probably suggest some others in the price range. And i believe with a spacer you can fit 6.5's in your fronts. Hell i think Sq squeezed some 8's in his 6.5 spaces. We have Sedans.

Reminder :

Ebay Link : http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWERBASS-2X...item2c6c957bb2

Power Handling: 360W peak per pair (180 watts), RMS: 180W per pair / 90 watts each side
50/50 Wool blend cone delivers smooth, natural sound reproduction
Butyl rubber surround
Pivot point 1" silk dome tweeter for accurate treble
Mounting kit for the tweeter allows the tweeter to focus the sound in the needed direction
Convertible mounting system allows the speakers to be mounted as a separate component system or a coaxial speaker
Rigid tooled basket with a stainless steel finish
Heavy motor structure with protective boot increases the power handling
PBX custom grille included protects your speakers and makes them look great
External 12dB 2-way crossover network
3 ohms impedance
High temperature voice coil
Top-mount depth: 2-1/2"
Sensitivity: 91 dB
Frequency Response: 59 - 20,000 Hz
Those definitely are much better than my fronts. What exactly are those "boxes" used for?

Quote:
As far as subs go you want subs in a box ? Or you can build your own ?

How much trunk space you want to lose ?
I'd say subs in a box - I am going to remove my spare tire to make clearance.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #12
_S7V7N_

Google - Passive Crossover

10 or 12's. ?

Fosgate has some entry level subs in a ported box. But that box is going to take up most your rear hatch.

You could also go with some kicker 12's in a box. Same ones they have at Best buy. Cept for half the price. If you get a chance cruise by best buy to see if it would fit in your hatch.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #13
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
Myztic - If you have install issues, go see Jon Webb at Performance Audio.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:46 AM   #14
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Google - Passive Crossover

10 or 12's. ?

Fosgate has some entry level subs in a ported box. But that box is going to take up most your rear hatch.

You could also go with some kicker 12's in a box. Same ones they have at Best buy. Cept for half the price. If you get a chance cruise by best buy to see if it would fit in your hatch.
I was hoping to be able to put the subs in the space where the spare tire is, but have the room to have a trunk still. Is that impractical? I overlooked the kicker 12's, but I was talking to my mechanic and he said to look into a speaker called L7 series (if I remember correctly). He said it'd be a perfect sub for HB.

Edit: I looked up the L7 series and I'm pretty sure it wasn't 15". I will go back to my mechanic and double check sometime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Myztic - If you have install issues, go see Jon Webb at Performance Audio.
I actually got his card from a local audio shop - thank you for the recommendation!

Last edited by MyzticZ3r0; 03-10-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 08:40 AM   #15
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

PM your way
Old 03-10-2013, 12:52 PM   #16
_S7V7N_

No need to talk to the mechanic. L7's will require a ton of airspace. for a single sub you'd need the whole hatch area and barely have what is required. For a pair you'd have to build a box that would take up your Hatch as well as all or most of the seats folded.

For what you're trying to do you have a few options :

12 inch Shallow Mount Sub
10 Inch Low Excursion Sub ( Won't require alot of airspace )
(2) 8 inch subs

I see the required RMS to be around 500 watts RMS For that type of setup.
It's also going to be more Sq and not so much Spl just because you won't be using alot of airspace. Another words it won't be as boomy, then again it is a hatch.

That guy SQ suggested will know his stuff. Lets see what he recommends.

Old 03-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Jon Webb does indeed know his stuff. He's standup guy. He comes off a little high strung to some people but his work speaks volumes. He was installer of the year in 2011 with that Pontiac G8 Arc Audio install. He and I have talked at length about it and I've actually demoed the vehicle a CES.

What was mentioned about you having a HB is significant actually. You're going to have a nice response bump around 39-42 Hz in a Yaris given whatever enclosure. It's just how the car's resonant frequency is...

I offered Myz my DD S4b and my ML3800 (loaded in a 1.5^3 sealed enclosure). Depending on his budget, this could really take care of any issues he might have. Heck, even with stock speakers off that amp you'll be better.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #18
_S7V7N_

I'd let your buddy set up that amp and show him where his volume on his radio should be and he'd have a hell of a system.

Holy Hell that sub is a 15 ?

Myz thats a hell of an amp and sub. You went straight to the top with equipment like that. Hell if you don't take it i'd consider that Deal !