Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-10-2013, 09:18 PM   #19
MyzticZ3r0

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqcomp View Post
Jon Webb does indeed know his stuff. He's standup guy. He comes off a little high strung to some people but his work speaks volumes. He was installer of the year in 2011 with that Pontiac G8 Arc Audio install. He and I have talked at length about it and I've actually demoed the vehicle a CES.

What was mentioned about you having a HB is significant actually. You're going to have a nice response bump around 39-42 Hz in a Yaris given whatever enclosure. It's just how the car's resonant frequency is...

I offered Myz my DD S4b and my ML3800 (loaded in a 1.5^3 sealed enclosure). Depending on his budget, this could really take care of any issues he might have. Heck, even with stock speakers off that amp you'll be better.
I actually went to the 2011 CES convention, but I must've missed the demo of the g8. Too bad - I could've used the insight on SQ and something to measure myself to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _S7V7N_ View Post
No need to talk to the mechanic. L7's will require a ton of airspace. for a single sub you'd need the whole hatch area and barely have what is required. For a pair you'd have to build a box that would take up your Hatch as well as all or most of the seats folded.

For what you're trying to do you have a few options :

12 inch Shallow Mount Sub
10 Inch Low Excursion Sub ( Won't require alot of airspace )
(2) 8 inch subs

I see the required RMS to be around 500 watts RMS For that type of setup.
It's also going to be more Sq and not so much Spl just because you won't be using alot of airspace. Another words it won't be as boomy, then again it is a hatch.

That guy SQ suggested will know his stuff. Lets see what he recommends.
I did actually stop by Best Buy on the way home today to check out those two 12" kicker subs in the box - it barely fits in my hatch area. I will admit I love the idea of having two 12"s, but I do use my hatch frequently. Another problem, as I mentioned to SQ, was that I want my system to be incognito when I'm not in the car. Unfortunately, the rate of stolen vehicles in Vegas is abnormally high and I don't need to give them any more reason to take my car. I am, however, open to other ideas!

Quote:
I'd let your buddy set up that amp and show him where his volume on his radio should be and he'd have a hell of a system.

Holy Hell that sub is a 15 ?

Myz thats a hell of an amp and sub. You went straight to the top with equipment like that. Hell if you don't take it i'd consider that Deal !
Yea I overlooked the 15", it's a monster! I am considering it, but as reasons posted above, I need to think it over.
MyzticZ3r0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #20
_S7V7N_

Drives: Yaris 4 Door Sedan
Send a message via Yahoo to _S7V7N_
That 15 only needs 1.5 cu ft of airspace. It can work in that spare tire area. You'd just have to do something like a false floor and raise it a few inches. Nobody would know that sub or amp was there. Unless you showed them.
Example : how an old school camaro box looks. But with a single sub and not as high.

Sq how vented does that amp have to be ?

Mystic how much were them 12's ? Like $400 bucks plus ? I can find them for about $250 shipped and they're the 800 watt RMS silver ones.

Audio is under Construction Kenwood KDC-X794
Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
Hifonics BXi 1210D - Crunch PowerZone P1400.4
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
_S7V7N_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #21
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Send a message via AIM to sqcomp
The amp has a massive heat sink....in the three years that I've had it, it only got warm...never hot...and it was on the bottom of my trunk setup with little airflow.

I'd throw my ML to Myz for $250. It's a 1k-ish retail woofer. I truly don't care about making money off it. I just want it to go to a good home. A plus for Myz, Jon Webb is an Audison/Hertz dealer. He can give you any support you need with the woofer. That being said, it's straight forward single 4 Ohm.

As for the crime in Vegas, I totally understand. There are some ways to avoid attention, even with a 15" in back.

Last edited by sqcomp; 03-10-2013 at 10:03 PM.
sqcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #22
_S7V7N_

Myz go check out that shop and get to talkin to that Jon guy and see what he thinks about that system listed and get an opinion on it. Hell get a quoted price for that stuff or something on that same level. Bet it retails for close to 2 grand.

At the same time see what he can recommend about hiding that system

Hifonics Zeus ZXI6.5C 6.5-Inch 2-Way Component Speaker System - AUTOTEK ATX65CX 6.5-Inch
(2)12 inch Kicker CVR's - 0 gauge from battery to Distribution block - 4 Gauge Power/Grounds to amps - Duralast Yellow Top - Big 3
Old 03-10-2013, 10:59 PM   #23
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Jon's shop pushes Arc Audio, Hybrid Audio, Elettromedia (Audison/Hertz) as the top brands. I don't recall what he's doing for head unit manufacturers. I think I saw Kenwood, Sony and JVC last time I was there. That may have changed.

Jon may be a top end dealer in price, but there's a good reason for it. You DEFINATELY get what you pay for.
Old 03-11-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
That 15 only needs 1.5 cu ft of airspace. It can work in that spare tire area. You'd just have to do something like a false floor and raise it a few inches. Nobody would know that sub or amp was there. Unless you showed them.
Example : how an old school camaro box looks. But with a single sub and not as high.

Sq how vented does that amp have to be ?

Mystic how much were them 12's ? Like $400 bucks plus ? I can find them for about $250 shipped and they're the 800 watt RMS silver ones.
You were dead on - they were $400 for both subs and the box. The box itself was too large for my needs. I was thinking if it were two 10s, or a single 15", I'd have sufficient space for my needs.

Quote:
The amp has a massive heat sink....in the three years that I've had it, it only got warm...never hot...and it was on the bottom of my trunk setup with little airflow.

I'd throw my ML to Myz for $250. It's a 1k-ish retail woofer. I truly don't care about making money off it. I just want it to go to a good home. A plus for Myz, Jon Webb is an Audison/Hertz dealer. He can give you any support you need with the woofer. That being said, it's straight forward single 4 Ohm.

As for the crime in Vegas, I totally understand. There are some ways to avoid attention, even with a 15" in back.
I'll stop by to see Jon Webb probably Wed - it's my only day off from both jobs. I'd go sooner if I could!

Quote:
Myz go check out that shop and get to talkin to that Jon guy and see what he thinks about that system listed and get an opinion on it. Hell get a quoted price for that stuff or something on that same level. Bet it retails for close to 2 grand.

At the same time see what he can recommend about hiding that system
I do like the idea of a false floor. I was overlooking over other vehicles and it seems like it's a better idea to put an amp back there as well (I see some put it under their seats, but I wouldn'd want anyone kicking around expensive equipment ^^).

Quote:
Jon's shop pushes Arc Audio, Hybrid Audio, Elettromedia (Audison/Hertz) as the top brands. I don't recall what he's doing for head unit manufacturers. I think I saw Kenwood, Sony and JVC last time I was there. That may have changed.

Jon may be a top end dealer in price, but there's a good reason for it. You DEFINATELY get what you pay for.
I don't believe my HU would cause any problems correct? Thank you for the recommendation. I do wish I could've seen his ride at the 2011 CES.
Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM   #25
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Jon has the heads up for you on Wednesday.
Old 03-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #26
MyzticZ3r0

Quote:
Jon has the heads up for you on Wednesday.
Sounds good - thanks SQ! I should be over there between 10-12 or so.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:22 PM   #27
MyzticZ3r0

I wasn't able to make it to go see Jon today, but I gave him a call and told him Friday would be better. I got called into work SQ. Sorry bro. I am thinking of deadening my doors, hatch, and trunk. =]
Old 03-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #28
edmscan

Drives: 2020 Corolla
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyzticZ3r0 View Post
Unfortunately, the rate of stolen vehicles in Vegas is abnormally high and I don't need to give them any more reason to take my car.
Myself I had my subs / box stolen and it is for this reason I cringe when I see you guys putting in your systems in your cars. I just hope that nothing happens .. and why I stick with the stock stereo (however bad it may be), but I just cannot see myself putting in another aftermarket system in my car.
edmscan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:15 AM   #29
_S7V7N_

I'm insured up to 1k in audio equipment...I make sure i keep all my receipts and jot down my Serial numbers on my stuff. I usually don't have a system longer than 3-6 months before i trade it out for a new one. Even when i Lived in Orlando, FL i didn't have much of an issue. I disabled the pop trunk lever for my Sedan (Trunk) so they'd have to Rip out my rear seat then fight to get the box out. Most they could steal from the front is my headunit which is roughly 150 - 200 bucks.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 AM   #30
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

Myz - no need to apologize to me. I'm just glad you got to talk with Jon. Follow his advice when you do meet. Don't be tempted to undercut the advice or cost, especially for install costs...then go to some flashy used car salesman type shop. You'll end up back at Jon's paying more in the long run for something really simple.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:15 AM   #31
MyzticZ3r0

Alright sorry I've been MIA. I'm going tomorrow morning to talk to Jon Webb =]. I've had other projects going on lately so I am sorry for the wait. I've been listening to some of my friends systems and thus far, I do like the sound of small subs. But who knows! I will keep you posted SQ - thanks again for being patient.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:11 PM   #32
Delfire
Quebec greekster

Drives: Yaris Hatchback
Hey Mystik, If it helps Ive upgraded the system... well actually took everything out and gave it to some kids. Got new radio, amp. and speakers of at crutchfield; i mean, you can't really beat their prices, even with shipping included,
I can say my set up, is pretty low key nothing crazy, BUT with a mean punch, sound is sublime and very clean, from other set-ups I heard out there.
I've installed the 10" sub and small case, takes bout 2/3d's of space, had to cut and modify the flap in back cause box was a tad too high. and can take up around 250 W rms, If I remember corectly its an Energy

radio is a Sony DSX-S310BTX ( has remote Subwoofer and amp controls in it Perfect)
The amp is an MTX TD500.1D Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
( those two I made them portable, atached amp on sub case with anti vibration rubbers, plain rubbers, and made the whole thing easy to take off from trunk. connection is made with a 220 V plug made for kitchens or dryers, cause in a toyota Yaris hatch... not much space, and take whole things of and on .. you end up breaking the connections, plus, theres enough space for the whole plug assembly just under the plastic plank, behind the slidding seat :) )
Also installed Component 5 1/4" JBL's in front, found a nice top line component kit and again JBL's with tweeters, atached for the back doors.
And voila. enough to make a statement that small cars dont always pack OEM speakers ( and I had the laugh of my life when I actually DID make that statement against an Audi A8 who thought could push me down, SHE had her bf roll up the windows after my car gave hers the finger) ahahahaha
But from the compliments I got... overall i can say its a fair to very good system, on that mix match, and cheap to make, + it's not energyvore.
But then again all systems made would depend of your music.. im into techno,I need sound to be clean at points not always bombarding.
Delfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #33
MyzticZ3r0

I've been sidetracked by work projects and family so I haven't had time to get my amp/subs. I don't need anything to rattle the ground or piss off any neighbors. I don't care if the other car next to me here's my system - I've never liked when someone rolls up next to me to listen to their obnoxious (usually) music. Most of the music I listen to is rock, but I play around with other genres. I don't think anything larger than 10s will be needed, but I'm still contemplating ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfire View Post
Hey Mystik, If it helps Ive upgraded the system... well actually took everything out and gave it to some kids. Got new radio, amp. and speakers of at crutchfield; i mean, you can't really beat their prices, even with shipping included,
I can say my set up, is pretty low key nothing crazy, BUT with a mean punch, sound is sublime and very clean, from other set-ups I heard out there.
I've installed the 10" sub and small case, takes bout 2/3d's of space, had to cut and modify the flap in back cause box was a tad too high. and can take up around 250 W rms, If I remember corectly its an Energy

radio is a Sony DSX-S310BTX ( has remote Subwoofer and amp controls in it Perfect)
The amp is an MTX TD500.1D Mono subwoofer amplifier — 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 ohms
( those two I made them portable, atached amp on sub case with anti vibration rubbers, plain rubbers, and made the whole thing easy to take off from trunk. connection is made with a 220 V plug made for kitchens or dryers, cause in a toyota Yaris hatch... not much space, and take whole things of and on .. you end up breaking the connections, plus, theres enough space for the whole plug assembly just under the plastic plank, behind the slidding seat :) )
Also installed Component 5 1/4" JBL's in front, found a nice top line component kit and again JBL's with tweeters, atached for the back doors.
And voila. enough to make a statement that small cars dont always pack OEM speakers ( and I had the laugh of my life when I actually DID make that statement against an Audi A8 who thought could push me down, SHE had her bf roll up the windows after my car gave hers the finger) ahahahaha
But from the compliments I got... overall i can say its a fair to very good system, on that mix match, and cheap to make, + it's not energyvore.
But then again all systems made would depend of your music.. im into techno,I need sound to be clean at points not always bombarding.
Old 04-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #34
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by edmscan View Post
Myself I had my subs / box stolen and it is for this reason I cringe when I see you guys putting in your systems in your cars. I just hope that nothing happens .. and why I stick with the stock stereo (however bad it may be), but I just cannot see myself putting in another aftermarket system in my car.
If anyone is really worried about that, just follow sqcomp's lead. He built a real sonic weapon in his car, and the alarm sets it off. Odds are if someone tried to break into his car they'd be lucky to not pass out from the db's, never mind get away.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:07 AM   #35
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

There are certainly things to do when trying to protect your investment.

I don't want to dissuade anyone from following my lead regarding vehicle security, but I'm an extreme case. The real reason I built my alarm the way I did was because of two major factors. "Boredom" while deployed in Iraq and because someone said I couldn't do what I wanted to do.

If someone breaks into my car, they'd be met by two piezo sirens carefully hidden in the car's duct work, a strobe light that makes the vehicle look like a friggin' club at night, two battery backup sirens hidden deep in the fenders of the vehicle, the two way remote that tells me about anything going on with the car...and a K3LA horn backed by a 5 gallon air tank hooked up to the OEM horn switch...All of these happen at once.

That last one WILL wake the dead a mile away and guarantee a visit from me in a "friendly" mood.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 AM   #36
sqcomp
Roadrunner Jr.

@ Edmscan - I completely understand your thought on the stock stereo. That happened to me once back in 1996. I adapted and overcame. That experience in part with guidance allowed me to reach the highest levels of car audio competition.

If one wants to keep the stock look of the vehicle that can be done VERY easily these days. The processing availability is staggering. You can absolutely keep the stock look of a vehicle. You just have to adjust your thinking and make it happen.