Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-20-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
The toe will be affected by the lower ride height which is the reason for the alignment or it will always affect it?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
texkid
The one with cheese on it

Drives: '10 Corolla S
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
The toe will be affected by the lower ride height which is the reason for the alignment or it will always affect it?
Look at it this way, as you stand your feet are closer together. Now as you crotch down, you spread your legs apart (changing the position of feet) to accommodate the change in stance. Well, when you lower/raise your car, the "stance" is different. Now the tires are sitting at a different angle to accommodate the new position. So you will need an alignment so that the tires will not wear out prematurely. It is only done at the time you change the springs.
texkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 02:50 PM   #3
detroiter

ahhh thank you for the insight. how does the tire place know what alignment to give it to make it right? I really don't know so i'm trying to learn
Old 03-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #4
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
ahhh thank you for the insight. how does the tire place know what alignment to give it to make it right? I really don't know so i'm trying to learn
they hang reflectors on your tires and shoot lasers at them. then a computer tells them which bolt to tighten and how much.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I have not done this on a newer car but…

I have used a ratchet strap to hold the coils of the spring where they were at. This will let you get them out since there compressed. Once out stick them under a different car and use it’s weight to let them back out.
If you try this use your brain. Use a few wraps on the springs. You just need the flat rope (webbing) not any of the metal stuff of the straps; to get the needed friction a clove hitch or two will hold it.

I did this with the springs off a 1 ton truck a few times.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 AM   #6
detroiter

Does installing the springs void the 60k factory warranty?

And one last question is can you take the TRD lowering springs, install them then get an alignment and your done? Or do you need one of the lowering camber kits or something like that.

I was reading a story about someone who installed some eibachs I think it was and they had to order a specific camber kit or something so the shop could do a proper alignment because they could not do it without it. I'm kind of confused by that story of the person and then about how it says the TRD lowering springs does not change the vehicles suspension and handling geometry.

Last edited by detroiter; 03-21-2009 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Does installing the springs void the 60k factory warranty?

And one last question is can you take the TRD lowering springs, install them then get an alignment and your done? Or do you need one of the lowering camber kits or something like that.

I was reading a story about someone who installed some eibachs I think it was and they had to order a specific camber kit or something so the shop could do a proper alignment because they could not do it without it. I'm kind of confused by that story of the person and then about how it says the TRD lowering springs does not change the vehicles suspension and handling geometry.
You only need camber bolts if you want to change the camber. You don't need to change the camber. It is optional, and mostly used for the track.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:02 PM   #8
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
Quote:
And one last question is can you take the TRD lowering springs, install them then get an alignment and your done?

This is exactly what I did. Put the TRDs on and got an alignment. Simple.

BTW. I just today installed Cusco GT-Zero Coilovers and did it the way the DIY here states by removing the wiper motor, etc.. IT WAS WAY EASIER THAN NOT REMOVING WHEN I PUT ON THE TRD LOWERING SPRINGS.

TRDs are now gonna be for sale. PM with bids if interested.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 PM   #9
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
so if i'm installing new shocks and springs then do i just basically ignore the spring compressor part by setting that whole stock assembly aside and just add the new spring to the new shock and then bolt it all back in like the stock strut?

and what do i do with the back ones?

i did a quick search and didn't find any DIY specifically on shocks so i thought i'd ask before i just try and wing it.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 02:01 AM   #10
justjesus

Drives: 2008 Liftback
aw man! that was a neat PDF. Today, I just lowered my friend's 91 Accord, and now I'm itching more than before to do mine. Cool deal on seeing this thread today -thanks guys
justjesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #11
Hard_Yaris

Drives: 07 Yaris
What about cutting the bump stops... is that necessary for all springs and shocks? OR are TRD's struts shocks, and springs manufactured so to not need to cut the bump stops? Like the guy did on the Tanabe install?
Hard_Yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #12
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hard_Yaris View Post
What about cutting the bump stops... is that necessary for all springs and shocks? OR are TRD's struts shocks, and springs manufactured so to not need to cut the bump stops? Like the guy did on the Tanabe install?
Bump...

I'll either DIY mine or get someone else to do it but I'm looking to find out what the concensus is in terms of cutting (or not cutting) the bump stop -- is it necessary or only to be done with certain springs?

Which is the RIGHT thing to do?

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:43 PM   #13
1NZYaris1

Drives: Yaris
Cutting the Bump stops depends on the install
1NZYaris1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Thanks for the reply.

So for MY install, most likely I'll be using a set of Eibach ProKit (1" all around) and reusing the stock struts/bump stops...

Is the recommendation to cut, or to leave the bump stops as is for my particular install?

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 05-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
For a mild 1" drop leave the bump stops uncut. I'm down 1.5" and didn't bother cutting them.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 PM   #16
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Thanks WeeYari..

I'm just hoping I won't have to drive all the way to Kitchener to see thebarber to get my springs done

Old 03-24-2011, 10:48 AM   #17
rapev-8

Drives: toyota
can someone explain to me how to do the front suspensions without removing the windshield cowl?
rapev-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 12:35 PM   #18
annn
ヤリスワールド

Drives: 2008 HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapev-8 View Post
can someone explain to me how to do the front suspensions without removing the windshield cowl?

Why ? The cowl is super simple to remove. It may look hard but it's nothing and makes the job easy .
annn is offline   Reply With Quote