Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Lil Abner

Drives: 2009 3dr LB Manual
Question Remote Start Problem: Mechanical, Like in Gear

So, I installed a remote start on my 09 LB a while back. I finally finished a safety circuit to ensure the car is in neutral and has the e-brake on. I've tested the function, and it's worked many times before.

Today it's could outside (25-degrees). I park in a garage, so it's closer to 40-degrees. I hit the remote start button, and the car was shaking/grinding while it cranked, then started. Once started, it purred like a kitten. I'm confused. I drove the car around, parked the car (in neutral before stopping), checked that it was in neutral by wiggling the shifter left to right (habit). Pulled the e-brake, turned the car off. Hit the remote start button. Same thing!

It seems almost like the car isn't coming out of gear. But the stick is in neutral. The car starts just fine when I push the clutch in like normal. But for some reason, when the car is in neutral, and the clutch isn't depressed, it seems like a gear is hanging.

Obviously I can't take it to the dealer. Anyone have any thoughts? The car is an 09, 5-speed, with less than 35,000 miles. The transmission/gear oil is still stock. Hopefully someone can help me out with this. I KNOW this isn't normal!!
Lil Abner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:03 PM   #2
Lil Abner

BUMP
Old 01-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #3
matthewai

Drives: it is kinda stock
hmm i have a remote start but my car is auto so im not sure what the problem would be
matthewai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:46 AM   #4
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
put ducttape on the clutch sensor and start the car via the key without pressing the clutch and see what happens.

my vote is starter under the excess load but lets see
Old 01-06-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
Lil Abner

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaris2010RS View Post
put ducttape on the clutch sensor and start the car via the key without pressing the clutch and see what happens.

my vote is starter under the excess load but lets see
Thanks for the reply.

Actually, that's what my remote starter system already does. It checks the position of the stick (gear selector), and if it's in neutral, and the e-brake is engaged, a relay bypasses the clutch switch. Which is the same as duct taping the switch down.

But it's hard to say it's the starter, since you can almost feel the car wanting to "lurch" forward. I might try your idea, but leave the parking brake off and see if the car tries to move forward. It "shouldn't" but I can at least try. Funny thing is, it was working for a few months when I would test it. But just recently it started acting up.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
did u check the shifter linkage?

the reason for my sudgested test is maybe a relay in ur system is messing up and is changing states over and over or sticking (maybe arcing)

i do not use a remote start but i do have duct tape over the clutch sensor so i can start it without being in it.

the description you give is quite vague so it would be hard to pin point ur exact issue
Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Lil Abner

So, I tried it earlier today at Lowe's, and it made the noise. Now I went outside with my camera to get the audio for it, and guess what! Now it's not doing it!! I'm going to try again later.

I tried bypassing my circuit, and it didn't change anything (last night). So I know it's not the relay having issues. But I do see where you were going with that idea.

I guess I'll try and get a video of the noise and post it, otherwise, like you said, it's hard to understand what my problem is.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:23 PM   #8
Lil Abner

I want to bump this up. The noise is actually the starter engaging, disengaging, back and forth during crank. I did some more checking, and put a battery tester and charging system tester on my car to see the results. Battery shows it's good, with somewhere around 560 CCA. The thing that stood out was that the tester said the "crank volts low" at just under 9V. Now mind you, this was when I start the car normally, with my foot on the clutch (not the remote start). I took all the wire connections apart, and cleaned them. Honestly, they were already really clean. Same problem when starting.

So I figure that voltage is probably low due to a lack of current. I grabbed a charger, hooked it up, put it on 55A charge, and started the car (normal and remote start). No problems! Now my only option seems to put a larger battery in there, something with over 700CCA.

Every car guy I ask scratches their head. Either the starter is weak, there is too tight of tolerances in the transmission, or I'm magically loosing amperage.... Anyone have any ideas?
Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM   #9
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Abner View Post
I want to bump this up. The noise is actually the starter engaging, disengaging, back and forth during crank. I did some more checking, and put a battery tester and charging system tester on my car to see the results. Battery shows it's good, with somewhere around 560 CCA. The thing that stood out was that the tester said the "crank volts low" at just under 9V. Now mind you, this was when I start the car normally, with my foot on the clutch (not the remote start). I took all the wire connections apart, and cleaned them. Honestly, they were already really clean. Same problem when starting.

So I figure that voltage is probably low due to a lack of current. I grabbed a charger, hooked it up, put it on 55A charge, and started the car (normal and remote start). No problems! Now my only option seems to put a larger battery in there, something with over 700CCA.

Every car guy I ask scratches their head. Either the starter is weak, there is too tight of tolerances in the transmission, or I'm magically loosing amperage.... Anyone have any ideas?
I have a mechanical battery tester, that basically has a volt meter and a huge ceramic resistor in it. You clip it to the battery and it shows the no load voltage and then push the switch to put it under load and read the voltage again. With it, a battery like yours would "fail" since the loaded voltage is so low. The 550 CCA really doesn't mean anything unless you know at what voltage it can supply those CCAs. I would say that you need to replace your battery.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Lil Abner

Well, I have access to a mechanical one, too. I'll swing by tomorrow and test it that way. I'm already starting to price out larger 34R batteries to cram in, just in case. Thanks for the reply!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:49 PM   #11
Lil Abner

Scott, I grabbed the mechanical and tested it (I couldn't wait until tomorrow). I also snapped pictures of the digital read-outs on the first tester.

The mechanical tester showed nothing wrong with the battery. The digital tester (this time) showed low crank volts only during remote start crank. Now, before you ask, yes, I have tried holding the clutch down DURING the remote start cycle, and it starts just fine! So that still brings me back to the fact that the clutch engaged in neutral has too much load, and the starter/battery can't overcome it.