Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-20-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
Mafs

Drives: Yaris MK1
Oil dipstick very hard to remove and insert.

Hey guys, I have just bought a Yaris 2003 with the 1.3 VVTi engine with 195.000km's or 121.000 miles and I'm pretty satisfied so far!

However soon after I bought it I went to check the oil (should've done it before buying, but it's a Toyota so what the hell eh?) and I found the dipstick was loose in the dipstick tube. So I pulled it out, cleaned it and went back to insert it but it would not go in at all.

So I pushed on it a bit more and it finally went inside, however the amount of force used to push it in and take it out do not seem normal to me. Luckily a co-worker of mine has the same car and his dipstick is very easy to take out and re-insert. I've compared the dipsticks and they look identical, both yellow plastic all the way.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so how did you remedy it?

Thanks in advance!
Mafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2021, 03:03 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
If there is an O-ring on it that might be the problem. There also might be buildup on the inside of the dipstick tube. My daughter recently bought a RAV4 and never check the oil. You need to lube the dipstick Oh ring
Old 05-21-2021, 11:08 PM   #3
Corben
Oldie

Drives: 2012 yaris sedan
Or......its the wrong dipstick.
Corben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 07:55 AM   #4
Mafs

Drives: Yaris MK1
Hey there, there is an o-ring on it. As it seems it should have.
Like I mentioned my co-worker has the exact same engine and the dipsticks are both identical to each other including o-ring.

Build-up in the dipstick tube is a possibility I have not looked into yet as the weather has not allowed me to due to loads of rain.

I'll check it out in a couple days, maybe clean out the tube if it's dirty and I'll report back!
Mafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
In the meantime I would put oil on the O-ring and see if that helps. Bhyou need several applications.
Old 06-01-2021, 02:06 AM   #6
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
If you remove the O ring, does it get better? Definitely not advisable to drive it like that but if the clean-up and oil-up does not help you may need to replace the O ring. Some people tend to add various shits to the engine oil and it may have caused the O ring to swell. Just guessing.
You can also try to swap the dipsticks with your co-worker to identify whether the problem is the dipstick or the engine.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote