Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-24-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
Redyaris09
I've made a post!

Drives: Yaris
Spongy brake pedal

]Hello, I have a 09 auto Yaris with 175k km on it. The last year I haven't been using it much and I'm realizing that my brake pedal feels soft. When I inspected the front brakes, the guide pins where seized so I got them out, cleaned everything, put new boots and guide pins and put everything back together with brake grease. The pads and disk were still in good shape.

Sadly, still soft.

Changed the rear drums, pads, cylinders and bled everything. (need to readjust a little and will do soon).

Sadly, still soft. It brakes just not as firm. If I pump the brakes while engine is off, it gets hard. No leaks anywhere and no loss of brake fluid.

I remember before the pandemic, my car would make a sound (like a pressure release / blow off valve) every time I started the car (except when car was already warm) and it doesn't do it anymore.

What could be next? I've read that some people have changed the master cylinder and it still was soft. Also, what made the pressure release sound?

Thanks!
Redyaris09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #2
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Try adjusting rear brake shoes.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:59 AM   #3
komichal

Drives: Yaris 2007 1.3 2SZFE 64kW
Yesterday I went to the local authorized service center and asked to change brake fluid and bleed the brakes because I also felt the pedal is a bit spongy.
One can do it simply on his own but I wanted the pros to do it to make sure it is really done right.
They did it and tested the brakes and said that they are in good condition (although I felt no difference related to the sponginess). So I assume that this is just how the old car feels... all rubber hoses and everything can get a bit more stretchy than new etc.
I trust them they did the job - the brake fluid is new and all bleeders are clean.
komichal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 03:25 AM   #4
kevinj93

Drives: 2013 NCP130
Did you ask them to adjust the rear brakes?

The rear Drum brakes in the Yaris are fitted with self adjusters, but these only operate when you brake reasonably firmly while reversing. It may take a number of brake applications while reversing to adjust the brakes up if this hasn't bed done for some time.