Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-20-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
amandadalton
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris
Starter (or possibly electrical) Problems with 2008 Yaris Sedan

Alright, so after spending the last 20 minutes scouring the forums, nothing I've read sounds quite like my situation. Basically I want to know what I should suggest to the mechanic. General advice I've gotten doesn't seem to fit, and I'd rather avoid spending more money than I need to fixing something that isn't broken!

I have a 2008 Toyota Yaris, I just had it in for a diagnostic checkup and oil change less than a month ago. I've owned the car 4 years and never had a problem. I get home last night to pick up my roommate to go to the store. Since she'd be right out I stayed in my car with the radio on, engine off, for about 10 minutes (okay she wasn't RIGHT out...). When she got to my car, and opened the door, the dome light came on, and the radio died. It came back on after a second, which I thought was strange. Then I tried to start the car and got nothing but clicks. I tried jiggling the keys, turning the car completely off and waiting, same thing. I decided to let it sit for the night, and this morning when I tried to jump it, I got nothing. Same clicking noise.

This is most unfortunate considering I'll need to do some driving for the holidays. Is there anything I can do on my own to try and fix this? Or does anyone have any advice on what to tell the mechanic?

I should mention, that I tested the battery which is keeping a charge. The lights and electronics in the car all work and are strong. When we pushed it into the back yard, the radio was going again, and out of habit I hit the windshield wipers because it was sprinkling. The wipers moved a few inches then stopped, and the radio died again. This time the radio didn't come back on on it's own, but the lights all stayed on elsewhere in the car.

Thank you in advance for your help and advice!

- Amanda Dalton

PS - Wouldn't you know the warranty on my car just ran out a few months ago....
amandadalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
It sounds like either the battery is shot (voltage will measure fine, until you apply a load, like the wipers, and then it sags significantly). Or, you have a severely corroded connection at one of the battery terminals or at the back of the plastic block on the positive terminal, where the wires connect to the block.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:46 PM   #3
andulong

Drives: 2008 Hatch Red
Sounds like the battery to me! Guess what??? I have a 2008 hatch and my battery died yesterday when I tried to go to work at 5:30 AM. It cranked a bit slow a couple days ago, didn't think much of it. Didin't drive it the next day and then yesterday, dead!

Sure, the headlights still light, radio works etc but not enough to turn over the engine. I put my multimeter on it and read 12.4 v until I turned on the headlights and it dropped below 10V and the lights quickly dimmed.

Take the battery to an auto parts store and they can test it and then sell you new one if needed. After that drive the car back to the same store and they should be able to check your charging system for you for free.

God Luck.
andulong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:44 PM   #4
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
My 2008 hatch has been a little slow in starting, it's on its original battery as well. I think its days are numbered, I've put my jumper cables in the back just in case!

Just a hint, but a very dead battery might not jump start right away. I learned this in my Jeep, when its battery died a few weeks ago it took a couple of minutes connected to the other vehicle (with its engine running) before it would start.

Another tip, Walmart sells these little things that plug into your power plug and which have a 9 volt battery attached to it. It keeps enough power to your radio, alarm, etc. to stop them from resetting when you've got the battery out. Worth the eight bucks, if you ask me!

Cheers! M2
Old 11-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Yup. Four year old battery no good.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #6
kelevra
2012 CBR1000RR Hoo Yaaa

Drives: 08 3 door Hatch
Wow, winter is practically here in NY, thinking my bat might be on it's way out for my 08 Hatch too? Seems fine as of now. I guess we'll just have to wait and see, haha.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:32 PM   #7
AGlobalThreat

Drives: 08 Sedan & 11 5-door
The colder weather may be putting some older batteries to rest.
I've never been a fan of jump starting, the battery needs more time to actually recharge.
Could be a bad connection as CTScott said too.

I don't think the battery is covered by the warranty.

You can always just try a working battery from a different car too.

Aftermarket battery thread:
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41383
AGlobalThreat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2008 sedan starter, electrical, starter