Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #1
Jabro

Drives: 2008 2dr Yaris Liftback
New Cluster w/ABS

So it looks like I may be getting my hands on a 2010 Liftback instrument cluster with a tach, everything seems to check out, it's for a hatchback, has MPH, MT, etc... the only thing that doesn't check out is that I am sure it comes with ABS, since supposedly all 09 models and up have ABS.

The only problem is my 08 liftback is not equipped with ABS. From my understanding reading the forums this won't be a problem, other than the different odometer reading and the ABS light being constantly on, which might be an annoyance that I'll have to cover up. I have also read tidbits about the speedo not working, but nothing conclusive. Is there anything else I should be worried about? If so, the Tach DIY will be my next step. (I ordered a tach before but didn't like the look of the particular model, hence the change up).

Thanks everyone.
Jabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Your speedometer may not work. With the ABS equipped cars, the speedometer is driven by CAN bus message from the ABS ECU, instead of from the transmission's speed sensor.

I did some experimentation a while back on an ABS equipped tach one that someone imported from Japan. He found that when he installed it on his car the tach worked but not the speedometer. He sent it to me and I did some experimentation with trying to create a device for driving it by reading the speed sensor and then sending it a simulated ABS CAN bus message. I was able to get the speedometer to work, but could not figure out the additional encrypted portion of the CAN message that caused the odometer to increment.

This is why when people ask about swapping cluster, I always mention that you should match the ABS equipping of the cluster with your car. You can go the other way (non ABS cluster on ABS car, but will lose the indicator).
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #3
Jabro

Thanks Scott, I actually read that thread earlier today I believe: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23127 haha, cool stuff. I'm expecting this cluster will be a U.S. spec one. Do you think that I may have any of the luck that Kioshi didn't have with the Japan spec one?

Needless to say I am a compulsive buyer and bought it just a half hour ago. I guess its worth a try in any means, if it doesn't work I can return it, or sell it to someone who has ABS. Gauge cluster swaps seem to be the biggest letdowns on this forum, so I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work, and there's no shortage of people who we know can have a successful swap.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabro View Post
Thanks Scott, I actually read that thread earlier today I believe: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23127 haha, cool stuff. I'm expecting this cluster will be a U.S. spec one. Do you think that I may have any of the luck that Kioshi didn't have with the Japan spec one?

Needless to say I am a compulsive buyer and bought it just a half hour ago. I guess its worth a try in any means, if it doesn't work I can return it, or sell it to someone who has ABS. Gauge cluster swaps seem to be the biggest letdowns on this forum, so I won't be heartbroken if it doesn't work, and there's no shortage of people who we know can have a successful swap.
The US service manual mentions that the speedo is driven by the ABS, so that was how I figured out what the deal was with Kioshi's JDM one, so I suspect you will see the same issue.

I can convert metric ones and can reprogram the odometer to match as well, so if you want to pick up a cheap Canadian one, I can do my magic on it.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:01 PM   #5
Jabro

Well Scott, it seems the search will begin anew. I'll pm you when I find a suitable Canadian model for my 08 MT Liftback w/o ABS, it may be easiest to just ship it directly to you. I'll post the ABS one on its way for sale when it arrives. Always appreciate your feedback and help.

EDIT: Oh and I have to ask, is the conversion you talk about the one in your "Toyota Yaris Instrument cluster calibration and deMetrification (converting a kmh cluster to MPH)" video, or in this case is this a conversion of the face plate to a mph one?

Last edited by Jabro; 12-11-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: another question
Old 12-12-2012, 01:11 AM   #6
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
I'll post the ABS one on its way for sale when it arrives. Always appreciate your feedback and help.
Hmmm.. I might be interested in that cluster. Let me know when you get it.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:20 AM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Well Scott, it seems the search will begin anew. I'll pm you when I find a suitable Canadian model for my 08 MT Liftback w/o ABS, it may be easiest to just ship it directly to you. I'll post the ABS one on its way for sale when it arrives. Always appreciate your feedback and help.

EDIT: Oh and I have to ask, is the conversion you talk about the one in your "Toyota Yaris Instrument cluster calibration and deMetrification (converting a kmh cluster to MPH)" video, or in this case is this a conversion of the face plate to a mph one?
Yes - It is the one in that video, so the odometer increments in miles as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
Count me in as definitely interested, assuming the price is reasonable and Altitude backs out.
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:57 PM   #9
Jabro

It may take a week, but expect it to be in the for sale by private party section.
Old 12-14-2012, 08:31 PM   #10
Jabro

Some interesting new developments. I unplugged the battery and installed the new gauge cluster. The odometer reading was that of the cluster and not that my vehicle. The ABS, traction control, maintenance required, and brake light all remained on. Besides that, everything was fully functional. I took the car out for a spin and the tachometer and speedometer were working just fine. I was only able to take the speedometer up to 45mph due to the speed limiter here, but everything seemed to be working fine. Even the dimmer toggle worked to brighten and dim the new cluster.

It's amazing how early I have been shifting based off of sound, its almost a whole new experience with the tach. That being said, I'm still not quite sure if I like it. I just don't like the fact that it is not an 08 gauge cluster, and that it was designed for ABS and traction control vehicles. Its nothing serious, but it kind of messes with my traces of OCD...
Old 12-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #11
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Some interesting new developments. I unplugged the battery and installed the new gauge cluster. The odometer reading was that of the cluster and not that my vehicle. The ABS, traction control, maintenance required, and brake light all remained on. Besides that, everything was fully functional. I took the car out for a spin and the tachometer and speedometer were working just fine. I was only able to take the speedometer up to 45mph due to the speed limiter here, but everything seemed to be working fine. Even the dimmer toggle worked to brighten and dim the new cluster.

It's amazing how early I have been shifting based off of sound, its almost a whole new experience with the tach. That being said, I'm still not quite sure if I like it. I just don't like the fact that it is not an 08 gauge cluster, and that it was designed for ABS and traction control vehicles. Its nothing serious, but it kind of messes with my traces of OCD...
That is great that the speedometer is working. Apparently the newer ones are back to using the speed sensor or at least revert to it when the ABS is not feeding data. The ABS and VSC info is sent to the cluster by CAN bus. so your best way of turning off those lights is to pull the cover off the cluster and stick a piece of electrical tape over the LED (but under the plastic sheet, so it is not visible).

The odometer data is only stored in the cluster, so when you swap it out your car's mileage will not follow. Changing the cluster to match requires reprogramming a EEPROM on the cluster CPU board. Since tampering with odometers is illegal, Toyota will/can not change it for you. They would simply place a sticker by the door VIN sticker indicating the mileage discrepancy and will send the data as well to DMV (which also shows on CarFax). There are services that will reprogram them for a fee, and I have figured out the process to do it myself.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:39 PM   #12
Jabro

Some pictures of it in action...

CIMG2706 by abdt91, on Flickr

CIMG2712 by abdt91, on Flickr

Tags
abs, cluster, liftback, manual, tach