Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-06-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
JudgeM

Drives: 2005 Toyota Vitz RS
Question Rear wheel brakes adjustment ?

Hi all.

Since I've owned my car, I notice sometimes at low speed ie. when pulling out of garage, there is a humming noise from the rear wheels.

Today I went to my friend house who has a jack. We lifted the front and rear and found that the wheels seem to be braked even with handbrake fully released. So that humming noise is due to some slight braking applied on it. Both rear wheels don't spin as free as the front ones do.

Is this normal ? I took a close look with a flash light and saw the pads are touching the discs. Is there any adjustment for this ?

cheers
JudgeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 08:06 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
There are very little space between the pads and the front disks. So that's normal. As long as it spins by simple hand turn.

Same for the rear. But it is also normal that it might be knotchy from my experience.
Old 09-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #3
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
A few years ago I had a similar sound emanating from my Yaris. I thought it might indicate I needed (at least) new pads. I took my Yaris to a local snmall shop I trust. Dust builds up in the rear brakes (mine has rear drums). They cleaned/blew out all of the dust, adjusted the handbrake (previously had too much play), and charged me a bit over $30.00. This eliminated the sound.
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM   #4
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Hum noise sounds like bearing going if not and u find that bearings are fine and u have disk rear , make sure the pin sliders move free also pads ..clean the are lube/grease sliders all should move free same with piston .
As for drums , clean and adjust remove any rust of drum and so on .

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #5
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exiwolfman View Post
Hum noise sounds like bearing going if not and u find that bearings are fine and u have disk rear , make sure the pin sliders move free also pads ..clean the are lube/grease sliders all should move free same with piston .
As for drums , clean and adjust remove any rust of drum and so on .

sent from my S4 on Mars
^^^^^ Info added by an expert . Fortunately, I haven't had the pleasure off rear wheel bearings going out on any car. The fronts I had go out on my Yaris = a hum and another sound that were both cleared up by replacing the bearings.

Last edited by nookandcrannycar; 09-08-2014 at 11:36 PM. Reason: oops, originally typed bearing rather than bearings
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 05:37 AM   #6
JudgeM

I don't think it is the bearing. because usually if its bearing that noise should get worse as speed increases.

I looked at the Yaris repair guide for handbrake adjustment, it shows how to adjust for drum brakes but not disk.

I think all that needs done is to adjust the handbrake setting to make sure that the pads aren't touching the discs so tightly on handbrake released . Does anyone know how to do this?
Old 09-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Exiwolfman

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgeM View Post
I don't think it is the bearing. because usually if its bearing that noise should get worse as speed increases.

I looked at the Yaris repair guide for handbrake adjustment, it shows how to adjust for drum brakes but not disk.

I think all that needs done is to adjust the handbrake setting to make sure that the pads aren't touching the discs so tightly on handbrake released . Does anyone know how to do this?
To me it sounds like ur pads are not moving free ,rust dirt build up on fitting clips also u may have slider pins stuck ...good cleaning will fix ur problem ..u can adj lever from inside the car but only if loose/ tighten up the line as in don't mess with it lol
Take apart ur rear brakes and clean everything after lube with brake grease .

sent from my S4 on Mars
Exiwolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:58 AM   #8
JudgeM

Quote:
To me it sounds like ur pads are not moving free ,rust dirt build up on fitting clips also u may have slider pins stuck ...good cleaning will fix ur problem ..u can adj lever from inside the car but only if loose/ tighten up the line as in don't mess with it lol
Take apart ur rear brakes and clean everything after lube with brake grease .
Thanks for the ideas everyone.

Is taking the brakes apart something I can do ? I think I've got all the necessary but I don't have a torque wrench.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:31 AM   #9
JudgeM

I bit the bullet and took it to my mechanic. He says this is perfectly safe and normal. Its to do with the fact its a hydraulic set up at the rear so it's self adjusting and there is no easy way to set the clearance. He said that if I really want to increase the gap it will involve alot of work. Main thing is he says its normal and not any safety concern.

So I can rest assured.

Tags
brake, noise