Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #19
bieniman

Drives: vitz rs 1500 2001
CTScott, did you receive my PM?
bieniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:29 PM   #20
bieniman

Drives: vitz rs 1500 2001
Guys, FINALLY!!!!!!!!

Let me start at the beginning.

First of all, we pulled out the OCV filter, cleaned that out and listened, we thought it was ok but after a while the noise came back. So then we tought it could be coming from the bearings from either the fan or powerstearing, so we took those off too, and still there that noise again. We opened the cylinder head cover, and there was nothing wrong there, what we did notice was a buildup of sludge/sud(a bit hard/brittle), and it seems someone has already been in there, because we saw it being cleaned up at on side , kind a like scratched off. We closed the cover again and finally we open up the oil pan, and my goodness , it was filled with filth and sludge, we dismantled the oil pickup and this was clogged up by black coal particles. It looked a bit like activated coal. the whole screen was full of it.(see pics)

So my final conclusion is:

When you start the engine you noticed nothing with the oil lamp and noise, the debris was not entirely clogging the screen yet, but after a while the flow of oil will push more and more debris on to the screen and will get clogged up partially to completely, this in turn will starve the vvti unit of oil, hence generating the noise. If you shut down the car, the debris will sink again and will partially free the screen until you start the engine again.

Thank you all for helping me, so I know where I can find the answers. And my car is purring as a kitten, Me so happyyyy.......

bieniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #21
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
WOW!!!

Glad you got it sorted out.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #22
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Regular maintenance is important