Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #1
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
impact wrench question

this one is for all the mechanics/do-it-yourselfers out there! i've been looking at cordless impact wrenches online for christmas and i need to know realistically how much 'break-away' torque do i need for swapping out wheels, changing springs(i understand the front strut tops don't REQUIRE them, but it makes it MUCH easier), and even the pulley swap(which i've read takes A LOT of torque). i've seen them anywhere from 117lbs to 650lbs(for real -snap-on makes one they call 'the mother') online. i know people will say 'just get an air compressor and a cheap impact wrench', but i really like the cordless option(and yes, i know it's more money). thanks for any advice.
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
well for reagular stuff i use my makita and for wheels and higher torque stuff i have a snap-on cordless impact. i have used a goodyear one and its great too. i really recommend the snap-on cordless impact though.
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
seth_man

Drives: 08 Liftback
i have an ingersoll rand w360 cordless 1/2" impact and i use it all the time. i have many air powered tools also but at work most of the time for quick tire rotations and such i use the cordless. and its easy to take with you. i use it at the track for tire changes. and take it with me when im doing work outside the shop.
seth_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #4
TLyttle

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
Doesn't matter what impact you use, I suggest that you double-check the torque with a torque wrench. More than once I have had impacts make the wheels impossible to remove with a standard wheel wrench, and at one point they stretched the studs!
TLyttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:21 PM   #5
Red Horse

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan A/T
The digi impact wrench is also good, it's $79 and hard to find.

Red Horse is offline   Reply With Quote