Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-11-2008, 11:03 PM   #1
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
-sigh- the maintenance starts...

Well, I have made it two years on my yaris with everything well. its a few hundred miles shy of just 10k miles...and as the weather changed, it has developed several problems.

Gear shift squeak. i saw there was a DIY for this, and I figured it was just needing grease, but still.

clutch pedal squeak. its from under the hood, not from inside the car, so the cable must be having the same problem as the gear shift.

belt squeal at startup in the morning. it better be a bad belt cause if the tensioner has slop i will be pissed.

with that said, i have been a mechanic for a few years, and i might not have the most experience, but i do have enough knowlege to fix the problems, its not even that so much as I am pissed it needs any damn maintenance at under 10k miles and about 2 years. I am debating sending it to the dealership just out of spite, but not only do I not trust anyone touching my car, I dont want to listen to them try to blame the problems on my "aftermarket" exhaust and wheels and modified airbox.

will the dealership actually do anything for the squeaks other than lithium grease? i think the only way i would take it to them is if it turns out the tensioner is bad (assuming this is a automatic tensioner, havent even looked yet, the problems started this morning).
Old 12-11-2008, 11:06 PM   #2
TinyGiant
Tiny Giant Clothing

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue Yaris 3D LB
bring it to the dealer and act dumb :)
Old 12-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
The clutch is hydraulic, so no cable... The belt doesn't have an automatic tensioner, instead the alternator pivots forward on a bracket to take up the slack. And belts don't go bad in 10,000 miles but usually stretch just a bit and NEED tensioning. But your a mechanic, so you already knew all this...

As for the clutch squeek. Tacomas have had this issue for years. The remedy is a shot of PB blaster on the slave cylinder rod every oil change.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:12 AM   #4
||)) (o) ||\||
- Donnie Demonic -

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Sport
Damn, almost 2 years and only 10k miles? Sounds like you arent driving it enough! lol j/k!
||)) (o) ||\|| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 06:44 AM   #5
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
As for the clutch squeek. Tacomas have had this issue for years. The remedy is a shot of PB blaster on the slave cylinder rod every oil change.
True, my Tacoma had this problem in colder weather.
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:01 AM   #6
elmo
WFO

Drives: 2008 hb
i got over 25,000 and haven't experienced any of the above
elmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i had shifter and clutch squeak....toyota dealership took care of both of them....just grease/lube, but the squeaking hasnt come back in the 6months since they fixed it....

every car needs some maintenance.....even toyotas....
Old 12-12-2008, 10:15 AM   #8
dybbuk

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB
I'm at 17k km and haven't had one problem yet with it. Knock on wood.
dybbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #9
Rich k

Drives: 07 3dr white Yaris 5spd stock
Send a message via AIM to Rich k
30,000 Miles in 2 years, no issues. Sounds like underusage :p Hope it all gets better with mild inexpensive fixes.
Rich k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:36 PM   #10
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Summer heat can often lead to squeaks that show up in the colder months. I'd just head to the dealer and tell them what's going on and give them a chance to remedy them. There may be some technical service bulletins out about your issues. Your modifications should not have anything to do with what your experiencing.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 03:53 PM   #11
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
yeah... and that's how my water pump failed bearing started making noise after the summer... :)
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 05:46 PM   #12
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
WOW 2 years and 10K miles. I did that in less than 6 months. Bought my car in late July and living in Texas Is gets real hot think it would wear on plastic parts more. Your aftermarket parts shouldn't matter the problems are not any where near them.
lilredrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 11:50 PM   #13
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yeah, i dont drive it much. anyway, i still didnt have time to look at it today...unfortunately because of family stuff i dont have much time ouside of lunchbreak at work.

thanks for the answers!

belt: i was hoping that it wasnt a auto tensioner, and i woulda been suprised if the belt did go bad in 2 years and 10k...my fear was that it was a auto tensioner.

i hadnt even really looked to see if it was a hydraulic clutch...i have only done a couple oil changes, and stuck a airbox and exhaust on it. either way, still stupid that its having noise after 10k.

i suppose asking questions like this i will look like a dumbass, but, at least i can sleep easy untill i have some spare time to take a look at it.
Old 12-13-2008, 01:56 PM   #14
Bullet120

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
2 years & >10K miles = Factory warranty. Go make them fix it. Drive it a little, she'll loosen up a little and act right.
Bullet120 is offline   Reply With Quote