Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #1
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
TRD Springs issue

I just installed my TRD lowering springs, and cut the bumpstop by 1" (the lower portion), and everything went together smoothly, but I'm getting a bit of rub on the drivers side under somewhat-hard cornering (<20mph). I have 215-40-17" on a 40mm offset, which is pretty standard on these, and everyone said there would be no rub, so I'm a bit surprised. Is this a bad spring, or an issue that will resolve when the alignment is corrected?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback White
Lose some weight. jk

Your tires are a bit too wide and offset a bit too low. Need to trim the plastic fender liner and use a heat gun to push back the plastic liner a bit. If that doesn't help, get some camber bolts and add a little bit of negative camber up front
FunctionSpec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:00 PM   #3
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
...Your tires are a bit too wide and offset a bit too low. Need to trim the plastic fender liner and use a heat gun to push back the plastic liner a bit. If that doesn't help, get some camber bolts and add a little bit of negative camber up front
Agreed on the tires and wheels... Negative offset can help, but didn't cure mine. I went to -1.25 and still rubbed (-.9 is the recommended max)... Trimming the fender liner will do it, but be ready for road debris covering the back of your headlights. If you do trim them, it's mostly the bulge in the liner at the seam where the fender meets the bumper cover.
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:04 PM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I have to agree with the others
Your tires are a bit too wide and offset a bit too low... your going to rub
Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM   #5
puetato89
Just call me Ray, better?

Drives: 08 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to puetato89
im not gonna say what every one else says.... damnit their right... what they said

puetato89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:17 PM   #6
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Trimming the fender liner will do it, but be ready for road debris covering the back of your headlights. If you do trim them, it's mostly the bulge in the liner at the seam where the fender meets the bumper cover.
You can avoid that gap after trimming by heating up the liner with a heat gun and pushing the bulge in the liner back so that it kind of "curves" with the curvature of the fender. Theres only a slight gap and keeps out most of the road debris from getting in. Just don't trim too much of the fender liner.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Interesting. OK. Will the Tanabee NF210's be the same issue? Can I do anything spacer-wise to the springs (top or bottom) that might give me that slight height-increase to eliminate rubbing on all-but-the-most-extreme cornering? Or am I going to have to live w/ stock springs? I'm not cutting my fender liners, so its make these springs work, buy something that will work, or live with stock.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

AS a second thought, would adjustable shocks with the stock springs allow me to drop it a bit, kinda splitting the difference?
Also, how do people work-out the TRD springs w/ TRD 18's w/o rubbing? I can't imagine Toyota selling anything at the dealer that would result in a rub at relatively low speed and moderate cornering (I'm only 160 lbs, so that can't be it! :)
Old 12-06-2008, 08:06 PM   #9
FunctionSpec
Super Newbie

You don't want to do the most simplest modification because of? But you would rather go through the trouble of putting your stocks back on and losing out money selling your springs? or even buying spacers or trading for other springs?

If you still have that left over 1" piece of bumpstop you cut off, put it back in and see if it helps.

Or you can just keep rubbing on that fender liner until the noise goes away. The plastic will eventually wear off.
Old 12-06-2008, 11:40 PM   #10
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunctionSpec View Post
You don't want to do the most simplest modification because of? But you would rather go through the trouble of putting your stocks back on and losing out money selling your springs? or even buying spacers or trading for other springs?

If you still have that left over 1" piece of bumpstop you cut off, put it back in and see if it helps.

Or you can just keep rubbing on that fender liner until the noise goes away. The plastic will eventually wear off.
Yeah, I installed TRD springs a while ago, but didn't cut the bumpstop. There hasn't been any rubbing whatsoever. I agree, put the 1" piece of bumpstop back in.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 01:44 AM   #11
Phaeton

Drives: Blazing Blue Liftback
His wheels are too wide that's all.
Phaeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 10:20 AM   #12
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetersRedYaris View Post
Agreed on the tires and wheels... Negative offset can help, but didn't cure mine. I went to -1.25 and still rubbed (-.9 is the recommended max)... Trimming the fender liner will do it, but be ready for road debris covering the back of your headlights. If you do trim them, it's mostly the bulge in the liner at the seam where the fender meets the bumper cover.
I have the same problem, but ended up dealing with it since I really didn't have the time to take it to get aligned.

The springs come with a sheet on what the camber should be and such. I'm using 205/40/17 and I too have this problem with the +40. Once spring comes, I'm adjusting them to spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camelll View Post
I have 17x7 215 40's + 42 offset and have no rubbing. I have TRD shocks,struts and springs. There have been many discussions (some good, some bad) about cutting bump stops with all TRD setup. From my personal experience I was told not to cut them by the tech that did the install, he said the TRD setup is designed to work without cutting. I did not ask him about using stock shocks with the TRD springs, which others here said they need to be cut.
So you're saying that I should buy new bump stops? Mine were cut originally because I had the Tanabe DF210 springs. I'll double check what the tech's say at my sponsor dealership.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:26 PM   #13
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
On the TRD spring and shock package there is nothing in the install instructions for cutting the bump stops. As you indicated, going from Tanabe to TRD, with the Tanabe's I am pretty sure the stops were cut per their instructions for install, with the TRD's they don't. Did mine myself and didn't cut them. I think new bump stops is the start to your solution.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 12:45 PM   #14
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
I'll do that for mine then, but again I'm gonna ask Toyota while ordering them. It doesn't bother me much since I got used to it.

Now the person who created this thread, are you running on stock shocks still?

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 05:15 PM   #15
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Yes, stock shocks at this point.

Regarding the comment about why I wouldn't want to cut my fender liners, its because I don't do mods to my car that will fundamentally change the original vehicle's integrity. I also understand that the fender liner is there for a reason, so i want to keep it there. I'm not averse to spending a small amount of money relative to the cost of the car to do the job right. To me, cutting the fender liner or allowing it to continue to rub is not the "right" way. If it can't be configured correctly, then I don't need a drop.

Thanks for all the input. I'll try installing the original bumpstops ( I cut a junkyard set, not the originals.) After that, it sounds like I need to investigate TRD shocks/struts.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:28 PM   #16
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
I had the same issue and the main problem is my wheels are too wide. I got them off a website and I got sold the wrong offset. When the TRD springs were installed I also cut the bumpstops.

To fix the issue, I installed spring rubbers. You can get them at racing supply stores. They are used in NASCAR to tighten or loosen a cars suspension. I put 1/2" spring rubbers both front and back, and it solved my rubbing issue, AND stiffened the suspension when cornering. They can be found on Ebay also very cheaply. I think I paid $40/set.
Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM   #17
TheSilkySmooth

Drives: 08 3DR 5M Bayou Blue; 09 Fos
Crazzy= anything wider than 165mm is too big for this car Even 15's too big. Why do you want to track on one side of tyre? The tyre just tips to one side in cornering? just for looks I guess its is with you guys. Buy a used Porsche or Nismo or Evo. Race yaris HeHe!
TheSilkySmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #18
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Had similar issues a year or so ago. I was running 215/40/17 with a +40mm offse and the rear rubbed and not the front. The shocks should not play a role in it.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote