Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-13-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
turboyaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to turboyaris
newest mod!!

Hey guys well I got a package in the mail earlier today and it was two of my three newest mods. I got a set of nology hotwires (actually intended for the xa/xb but they work for the yaris). Anyways, it was a fairly quick install and all you need is a 10mm socket. The only down side to the install is that if you leave it the way nology intended then you are stuck with having to either modify the engine cover or remove it completely. I know i know this thread is worthless without pics, but my gf's camera wasn't charged so when it is I will snap some quick pics esp since I have no pics of my car aside from at zpi. Anyways when I post the pics I will do a quick write up on the install so expect that a little later on. Using the butt dyno the car definitely has some more low end torque the slight turbo lag is made much less noticeable unfortuneatly its rush hour in philly so I couldn't get past second gear to tell you how it pulls through the high rpms of 3rd. I feel this would be a good mod for the guys without a turbo as well to add after an intake and exhaust. Reason being is they have a capacitor in the wire which would help for added spark in the higher and lower rpms on a stock engine to burn the a/f mixture a little better. So until some pics can be taken you will have to just imagine what the install looks like. And after my idea on modification to the install I will show you where they will finally be installed. Just figured I'd show you guys what the install was intended to look like before I went about changing it. The wires were just under 200$, I bought them from ZPI, they come in several colors as well so you can match your engine bay if you would like.

oh and p.s. the other two mods are a twm short shifter, and the upgraded throttle body so stay tuned for the intake manifold/ throttle body upgrade.
turboyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:44 PM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
cool, cool, I was curious as to how those hotwires would look and fit on a Yaris... hurry up and charge that camera, dammit!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 09:46 PM   #3
Blenjar

Drives: Black Yaris 07 HB
Send a message via AIM to Blenjar

U know that was coming

-- Blen
Blenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:49 PM   #4
Dragonacc

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 70 Mach 1, 84 5.0
What are you going to do with the intake manifold?

I assume you are going to bore the throttle body, are you just going to match the manifold to the larger bore?

Be careful when you mess with that plastic intake mani, it would suck to break it.
Dragonacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:07 PM   #5
Sabretooth
37HSSV

Drives: '11 Mazdaspeed 3
Send a message via AIM to Sabretooth
interesting this thread is here... Im expecting to get my AEM intake/Tanabe DF Springs/ and Tanabe Strut Bar in sometime within the next day or so...install sometime throughout the week, need to find a set of 15x7 steel rims, no fancy stuff...but the company i am to order them from is not responding to emails at this time...

but when its all done and said for, you will expect some
Sabretooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 12:12 AM   #6
turboyaris

alright guys sorry for the wait I have been kinda busy... anyways here is a quick snap of the engine bay

the install like i had said was very easy all you needed was a 10mm socket and all you had to do was remove the engine cover (4x10mm nuts) then you use two of the 4 nuts to secure the provided bracket onto the two forward bolts for the engine cover. after that remove ignition coils one by one, do this so you don't accidently mess up which one goes where. Use the provided bolts and nuts to secure the coil to the bracket. you have to remove two rubber pieces from the ignition coil.

the washer like one is a seal at the top of the ignition coil just slide that off the other is what secures over the spark plug that take a little bit of force but it just pulls off. Be sure to not destroy the spring inside the ignition coil. Then simply attach the spark plug wires. Each ignition wire comes with a grounding strap, attach them in pairs to the original coil pack screw hole. They supply two shorter bolts for this. and lastly they supply a grounding strap for the bracket. I connected this to the left side nut and attached it on the far left side of the valve cover there is another 10mm bolt there. tighten everything down and voila. I think thats it if there is a step i missed I apologize feel free to ask for more pics or anyother questions you have. Thanks
Old 04-14-2007, 12:16 AM   #7
turboyaris

oh p.s. I am going to be rerouting the ignition coil bracket underneath the wiper cowl, use some self tapping screws. I think that install would look a little cleaner. all you would see is the top of the ignition coils in a nice pack of four. That would also allow for the stock engine cover to be used without modification.

As for the throttle body you cant really bore out the throttle body because the plate is the same size as the end bolting to the manifold so it would be silly. It is a different throttle body but I have verified that it has worked. As for the manifold it is going to be mostly for turbo apps, it is made of aluminum with a large canister and 4 short runners, only several inches long.
Old 04-14-2007, 12:55 AM   #8
yrsdrgn

Drives: 2007 Yaris
Send a message via AIM to yrsdrgn
so basically it makes the air/fuel ratio burn better and gives you a better spartk? O_o? would it help increase mpg by any chance?

Sorry for the n00b questions. I'm just curious and am doing mods to help improve mpg. thanks
Old 04-14-2007, 01:27 AM   #9
turboyaris

couldn't tell you for sure, but i imagine it would be possible. reason being is you increase power without really adding air or fuel therefore you would need less gas pedal. other reason is being a properly burned fuel mixture would lower or increase egts meaning a slightly cleaner burn. couldn't say for sure I'm not certain but I would be willing to bet you might see a slight increase. if you contact kenny at zpi when he did my emanage tuning he said he actually leaned out the off boost driving meaning an increase in fuel efficiency. I would try that plus I would ask him if he could do maybe additional tuning with the nology hotwires if they would help increase efficiency further. other then that like in another post i would fill your tires above the max sidewall pressure rating, that reduces rolling resistance. I'm looking into some other mods that would decrease drag, so i'll be sure to let you know.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:46 AM   #10
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
interesting, but kinda messy I thought they were just a direct replacement for the ignition cabling, that bracket and tubes above the intake manifold really look out of place...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:05 AM   #11
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Nick, your engine bay is a total mess. Good to know we have a real tuner on the forums. Its no show kart, its a go-kart!

Any reason you went with Nology over NGK or any other brand?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
turboyaris

Quote:
interesting, but kinda messy I thought they were just a direct replacement for the ignition cabling, that bracket and tubes above the intake manifold really look out of place...
no unfortunately you still need the ignition coil and all the reason they work well is because nology has a built in capacitor inside each wire (the thicker blue area) so you are still in need of the stock coil and all like I said though soon I will be remoting the bracket and coil up above the engine and closer towards the firewall, only downside is the install is a little more complex requiring you to cut in and lengthen the wires running to the ignition coils. This was the reason I did the normal install first, I figured most people wouldnt go to these lengths for the install of wires. Stay tuned for some after pics of when I do the reroute, I will also do a better write up since the install will be a little more work.

Quote:
Nick, your engine bay is a mess. Good to know we have a real tuner on the forums. Any reason you went with Nology over NGK or any other brand?
how is it a mess? once you remove the engine cover all those wires become exposed, maybe its the wires installed too they kinda make it look weird. I personally am all about function over form. I don't even clean my car... haha thats why my best friend is my best friend he loves cleaning cars, I'm only about making them faster. I will be working on cleaning up the engine bay as far as looks though for the show, and I will have him actually clean the engine bay so it sparkles haha. And to my knowledge nology are the only ones that make a wire that would work for us, being with the capacitor in the line. Most spark wires are just low resistence to not increase the spark but not to lose any of the power from the ignition coil. The only other kind of option you would have but it would cost more is like the msd box or hks twin ignition amplifier or whatever thats called. Basically though I read up on the scion forums and read some good reviews so I figured why not. Plus I used my gut in assuming that the ignition system in our cars is not as good as it could be.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:31 AM   #13
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Very interesting thread... Think this definately is worth some looking in to.... what were you lookin at total cost Turbo?
Old 04-14-2007, 12:04 PM   #14
turboyaris

total cost for what exactly? the hot wires were just under 200$ shipped, the throttle body/ intake manifold I'm not sure If i am going to sell that or just do a custom one for myself. If there is demand, I might wind up making more then one manifold. Only problem making the price high is drive by wire throttle bodies are very expensive.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:25 PM   #15
Galavoxx

Drives: Yaris Hatch
Isn't this just the same thing as grounding the engine?
Galavoxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 01:26 PM   #16
Galavoxx

And yes, I'm trying to start some shit.
Old 04-14-2007, 01:28 PM   #17
turboyaris

no its nothing like grounding the engine
Old 04-14-2007, 01:36 PM   #18
Galavoxx

Don't get me wrong, I love these wires and had them on my old Porsche and they are on my Ducati SS right now. They are quality wires. But I think the reason they work is not the capacitor, it's that they use a highly conductive core and great insulation with a built in groundng strap. It's basically a groundings kit for you ignition system. Less ignition noise, better spark.

Just curious, did you have to change plug temps or does the ECU compensate for extra spark heat?