Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Yaris TS Talk
  The Tire Rack

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-22-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
Turbo Project Yaris TS 1.8L

I've decided to start this thread here because the Forced Induction Section is filled with "Can I turbo the Yaris?" threads... And this would be of most interest for the 1.8L owners anyway.

The Project: Low boost turbo set up. (5psi-8psi) This is my DD after all and I want to keep it on the safe side. This will be a BUDGET build, but I won't cheap out on the critical parts.

I've been picking up random parts over the last few months and by now I probably have about 70% of the parts I will need.

The goal: 200Whp

My mind is not set yet in a lot things, that's why I'm starting this thread, to hear other members opinions and suggestions.

I would like to Thank TAMAGO, BAttleVersionTC and Caliyaris... all boosted members who have been pointing me on the right direction as this will be my first time doing something like this.

So far this is the plan:

Fuel: TC OE Injectors (370cc). I havent been able to find the cc rate of the OE injectors on the 1.8L engine but my guess is they should be around 270cc-300cc so it looks like the 370cc from the TC would be a good option.

Management: AEM FIC. I already have the ECU pin out for the Yaris TS and it happens to be 99% the same as the pin out on the 1.5 Yaris. The only difference is the extra camshaft sensor for the double VVT-i All the other locations are the same. I'm counting on the help from 2 other memembers who have installed a FIC on a Yaris.

Manifold: SS LOG Style with the turbo at the bottom. Similar placement as the TT manifold or the Revhard cast mani.

I already have the tees, elbows and turbo flange. I only need the engine flange and up to the solder. It looks like the flange pattern for the 2ZR engine is the same as the 1ZZ and JGS Precision offers a flange for the 1ZZ so I will try it.

Downpipe I have no idea. I believe 2.5" should do. I will have to see the final placement of the turbo to think about the DP. I know a guy who has an exhaust shop and is pretty handy.

The intercooler: As much as I would like to keep the routing as short as possible, it looks like the easiest and cheapest will be a regular FMIC. The TS has a nice lower grill that should provide very good air flow.
A regular FMIC will probably require more piping and the routing of the turbo to intercooler pipe over the engine. Ala greddy style. I find the pipe over the engine a little ugly, but would simplify things so....

The Pipes 2.25" diameter seems like a good compromise. Looking into some silicone hoses to use instead of some sections of the piping to make things easier.

The Turbo: Looking for usable power and nice torque figures. The Garret GT28RS "Disco Potato" is at the top of my list followed by a T3 super 60.
However initially I intend to use a GT25 that I have on hand. The idea would be to run it @5 psi to work out the bugs and the tuning. Once I got the car running smoothly the upgrade will come to a larger turbo.

Wastegate: The boost would be controlled by a Tiaal 38mm. The WG came with a 8psi spring. I need to get a 5psi for the initial set up.

Blowoff valve Any random unit should do the trick. I would like to have it re-circulated. For the sleeper factor

Gauges: AEM UEGO and random Boost Gauge. Perhaps oil/water temp.

So what do you think? Comments, questions?

Finally a pic of the future victim:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 03 02 08 030.JPG (45.6 KB, 482 views)
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote