Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #19
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i have winters with a pretty open tread....hums on dry pavement, but was great in the slush this morning...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:54 PM   #20
wiirenet

Drives: Black '09 2dr HB
Send a message via MSN to wiirenet
Yea that's something I'm wondering, I'm only on snow/slush part of the time, the rest are pretty well cleared roads. Or last year the snow would melt, we would have clear dry roads for a while then the snow would come back. I heard its bad/damaging to drive with snow tires on dry pavement. I don't want to have to buy new tires every year because the dry road between snow damaged them.
wiirenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #21
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
I had a fun drive home, after work. I made a detour to take the highway to go home, so that i can warm up the car a little more.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 06:31 PM   #22
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Learn to slow down. the yaris is light. and get good tires.

I drove 20-25 all the way home from work today.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:21 AM   #23
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
get studded snow tires for all 4 , not just the front . If had to stop sudden it makes for uneven braking that may cause your rear end to kick out .
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:24 AM   #24
Hershey

plus throw a 20 > 40 lb. bag of salt in back of rear seat so over the wheels . Give yeh little more traction .
Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #25
paulyd0021

Drives: 2007 Blue Yaris Hatchback
great idea with the salt bags in the back seat, better than the trunk, and i'll have a good excuse to not be the family chauffeur. Ok, so here's what i've decided to go with. I can't afford the Blizzaks, although I got Bell tire to match an online price of $77 per tire, after all the extra charges and tax it ended up being $424 out the door. THats a bit more than I can afford at the moment. So I looked at their website and they have Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2's for $62 each, so I'm going to try to get 4 of those, and u can print a $20 off coupon online, so it should cost me about $322 for 4 of those. Unless I can convince them to sell me 2 tires at one place and 2 at another then i'll save another $20 with another coupon. Or if i feel crazy i could go to 4 different Belltires and buy them individually at $20 bucks off a piece. hehe... Anyways, so before I do, just wanted to see if anyone had any objections to this, not me ripping off Belltire with the coupon scheme but the idea of the Coopers.. I hear good things and mediocre things about these tires, but for my price range, and just wanting anything better than what i have (Kelly Gold Navigators), I think this may be the best deal I can get. Its either this or try to survive the winter and then move someplace snow doesnt exist.
paulyd0021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 06:04 AM   #26
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
get studded snow tires for all 4 , not just the front . If had to stop sudden it makes for uneven braking that may cause your rear end to kick out .
Studded tires work great on ice,not so good in snow and terrible on dry roads,good snow tires will out perform them on anything but ice.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:20 AM   #27
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Unless I can convince them to sell me 2 tires at one place and 2 at another then i'll save another $20 with another coupon
You can buy whatever tires you want, wherever you want, and have them installed wherever you want.

Just say, "here, I want 2, here is a coupon". If they tell you they cant due to inspections, sign a waiver. I did that last year.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #28
wiirenet

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
you won't damage your winter tires if you drive them during the cold months as soon as the temp goes above 7C or 39F, you need to change tires, as the winter tire compound is stickier and softer and will use up more quickly in warm weather. Dry pavement will ave negligible effect on thread wear in winter
Thanks for the info!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:51 AM   #29
Hershey

if you place bags of salt on rear seat I would clean them off and then put it / them in clear plastic garbage bag and seal with whatever tape you have available so not to get seats dirty or if have / form a leak . Actually meant to put bag behind rear seat of hatch or sedan ( in trunk ) so weight is over tires . Also , flip cargo mat or trunk mat over so the bag doesn't slide around as much . We use studded WEATHERMASTER ST-2's for both YARISes on all 4 wheels . Work very well in snow too . Have plenty of bite . Preferred the original WEATHER MASTERs . They had more bite in snow . GOOD LUCK
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #30
wiirenet

Well someone said "putting a huge heavy salt bag in the trunk will lift weight off of the driving and steering wheels, making the vehicle less controllable." So now I don't know if its a good or bad idea. Putting it in the rear seats is still in the rear. Would that still lift weight off the front tires?
Old 12-10-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
SpaceShot

Drives: 2008 Yaris 5 speed HB
Get 4 good quality snow tires. TireRack.com, DirectTire.com, or a local wholesale outfit ($80 - $110 each)
Keep tire pressure in between 32psi and max sidewall rating.

Find a carpool partner. A little extra weight between the wheels and an extra pair of eyes to watch for ice and other slick conditions.

Practice, find a large business parking lot and carefully experiment with letting the car slide a little. Drive in slick conditions enough and you can just about feel when the wheels start to slip.
SpaceShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:46 PM   #32
markitect

Drives: Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Studded tires work great on ice,not so good in snow and terrible on dry roads,good snow tires will out perform them on anything but ice.
Not to mention Illegal in some areas!!!!!!!!!
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #33
Hershey

keep our snow tires at 36 p.s.i. , helps with various temps .

Tags
ice, snow, tires, wet, winter