Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2009, 06:57 PM   #1
schreck

Drives: 2009
Question Can it Be a Daihatsu in Disguise

I owned a 90 Daihatsu Charade with the 1L, 3 cylinder engine. 0 to 60 was measured in minutes but it got 50 mpg on a bad day. Only car I ever owned where the owner's manual came with a warning against using the a/c at speeds under 45 mph.

Drove that car from 90 until 97 and when I was reviewing the Yaris recently it looked somewhat similar. Except for the larger engine, this appears to be a Daihatsu with a Toyota nameplate. Same seats, nearly identical interior layout (minus the center mounted gauges the Charade didn't have). In fact, the Charade came as either a sedan or hatchback. Gee, sounds a little familiar, doesn't it?

Now I discover that Toyota bought Daihatsu and relegated them to the Australian and British market a few years ago. Guess what, foreign versions come with a 1L engine! Upon looking at a picture of the engine, it looks like my old Charade engine right down to the oil cap in the middle instead of off to the left side (or course, with just 60 CID to work with, just how creative can you get with cap placement?).

Anybody care to give their two cents as to whether or not the Yaris is actually a Daihatsu design?

Just a thought, not a criticism.
schreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #2
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
No need to yell! :-)

I'm pretty sure the Yaris is a straight-up Toyota design. However, I think I'd drive just about any of the new Daihatsus, especially the Materia (e.g. the Toyota bB).

I see Charades and Rockys around here every now and then.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 02:40 AM   #3
mr. poopyhead

Drives: 2008 Yaris RS hatch
did a quick search on the google for daihatsu+yaris...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/road...pression/793/2
Quote:
Engine from a Yaris
Toyota owns 51 per cent of Daihatsu, so it's not so surprising that the Toyota Yaris's all-aluminium 1.3 engine is made by Daihatsu....
article was from 2001 though... not sure if this is true anymore... wiki doesn't mention anything about the 2NZ-FE 1.3L being made by daihatsu...
mr. poopyhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 03:37 AM   #4
BluYrs
ヴィッツ ドライバー

Drives: 2006 3d 1.0 Linea Sol
Well the current Daihatsu Boon (along with Subary Justy) is essentially a redesigned Yaris with the same engines and same wheelbase. So my money would be on Toyota being the "main engineer" and Daihatsu just receiving the fruits of that work.

However I seriously doubt if the Charade of old had anything to do with Toyotas (the Yaris in particular). Granted they both had a 1-litre engine, but the engines had differences (bore, stroke) which suggest they weren't engineered in cooperation.

The blue one
BluYrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #5
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
IMO the Yaris is a Toyota product. Seeing that Toyota own 51% of Daihatsu, it would make sense that they share the same parts bin.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
hatchbackkid82

Drives: .
Say it ain't so
hatchbackkid82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. poopyhead View Post
did a quick search on the google for daihatsu+yaris...

http://www.channel4.com/4car/di/road...pression/793/2

article was from 2001 though... not sure if this is true anymore... wiki doesn't mention anything about the 2NZ-FE 1.3L being made by daihatsu...
not the 2NZ, but the 1SZ, which is another kind of 1.3L engine in the Yaris in some other countries.

And yes, in Japan there are a TON of identical cars between Daihatsu and Toyota (and a couple small Subarus too)... Kinda like GM has the same cars under different sub-brands in the US, each with some slight differences for a different market...

It's just the way it works, manufacturers can save so much on R&D if they pool resources like this, it's a dog eat dog world...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote