Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-03-2006, 09:16 PM   #73
ItsMyDaily
The LittleBastard

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandj
I did the change to amsoil 5-30 this weekend. My auterra showed about a 8% increase in gas mileage but will have to fill up a couple of times before I'll know for sure. (getting just under 39 mpg now)
auterra?

2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback - Current
2004 Honda S2000 - Sold
1986 Toyota Corolla SR5 - Sold

DIY: Groundwire Kit
ItsMyDaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 12:02 AM   #74
foober

Drives: two yaris liftbacks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
I got 187,000 miles on my 1987 turbo RX-7 using Mobil One.
I've got 170,00 already on my 93 nissan truck. And its still running perfect. And I only used mobil 1 in it.

I switched to amsoil with my yaris. Even got the amsoil oil filter. And guess what. I am getting better gas milage. Its got to be about 5 more miles a gallon so far. I was pretty suprised.
foober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:55 AM   #75
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Drives: red '07 Yaris liftback auto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
I got 187,000 miles on my 1987 turbo RX-7 using Mobil One.
Wow, I know you're doing real good if you get 100k miles on a twin turbo FD, isn't it about the same for yours?
Racer X-8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 07:52 AM   #76
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
I used Mobil-1 for years on my Odyssey and my old 1993 Del Sol Si. Both engines are/were in perfect running condition. My Del sol had 60K miles when I sold it about 2 years ago and it ran just as smooth as can be, and I beat that thing like a redheaded stepchild everywhere I went. My Odyssey now has Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30. I switched it over from Mobil-1 0W-20 about 5 months ago, and it still runs perfectly and has 60K miles on it.
BTW- The Odyssey's tranny blew up at about 30K miles. Honda replaced it and it is running like a new car. That thing is fast too. Beats many a "sports car" easily. Beats the crap out of Ford trucks with V8s. hehe
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 09:45 PM   #77
gonzo452001

Drives: 3-door liftback blazing blue
Oil

I use mobil 1 extended service in my 04 tacoma change it everly 5000miles used to use regular mobil 1 and change it everly 3000 miles i drive 70 miles a day so i change it pretty offen haven't got my yaris yet it looks pretty easy to change a lot easyer than my v6 taco and it holds almost 6qts i think the yaris holds almost 4qts so i will save oil and gas
gonzo452001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2006, 11:08 PM   #78
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

It really IS easy to change the oil, I did it once so far. I use one of those big round black plastic oil collection pans with a side spout to pour it out at the recycling tank. A lot of words there, I hope you can figure out what I'm talking about. So anyway, I had to jack it up some to get that thing under there. If I'd have used a flatter pan, I might could have done it without jacking it up at all. The nasty part was all the oil that came out once the seal was broken at the filter. Man, it gushed badly. Luckily, that big ole thingie I described earlier was big enuf to still be catching the drip-drip-dripping at the drain plug hole AND be slid over far enuf to catch that massive discharge of oil in the filter removal zone. hehe nasty, but I caught every friggin drip and it was easy to wipe-off everything spotless spic'n'span with a paper towel.

What does this have to do with synthetic oil? Shucks, dunno. ummmm......
Old 10-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #79
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
good thing I work at a shop, only cost me 10 bux to change my oil..... well I have one of my guys do it... they pay me too much to get dirty... but I do plan on switching to synthetic oil, probibly moblile one, because that is what we stock at work, and I will still change my oil every 5,000 miles.... why do you say? because synthetic is better for your engine, plain and simple
Old 10-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #80
static808
Engineer/Artist/House-Dad

Drives: 2006 Toyota Sienna XLE
thanks for all of the great information everyone. because of this thread, im getting some amsoil next week to put in our 1 month old sienna (cracked 1k just this week). however, i was wondering how exactly does the amsoil engine flush work?? i read the how-to on the amsoil website, and it looks like you have to use two new oil filters in order to complete the process. if anyone has a "dummy's" guide on how to perform this operation, i'd greatly appreciate it!

--B
Old 10-11-2006, 12:11 AM   #81
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
You are basicly doing 2 oil changes back to back
Old 10-11-2006, 09:11 AM   #82
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by static808
thanks for all of the great information everyone. because of this thread, im getting some amsoil next week to put in our 1 month old sienna (cracked 1k just this week). however, i was wondering how exactly does the amsoil engine flush work?? i read the how-to on the amsoil website, and it looks like you have to use two new oil filters in order to complete the process. if anyone has a "dummy's" guide on how to perform this operation, i'd greatly appreciate it!

--B
That is strange... I guess Amsoil wants maximum flow from your fresh oil filter to trap the avalanche of dirt that will be headed its way, since a dirty filter would be already saturated with filth. Then you drain and put on a good oil filter, like theirs, and filler up with luscious synthetic oil!
I will be doing an Amsoil flush to my Odyssey on my next oil change. I changed from Mobil-1 to Amsoil about 6 months ago and the oil is already pretty dark. I think Amsoil is suspending alot more dirt that Mobil-1 wasn't picking up. I must say my 02 Odyssey with 60K drives like a new car still. I mean just as smooth as silk... you barely know it's running. And it's fast. Just spanked a Jeep 4.0L HO last night and we had my family and about 100lbs of pumpkins in the back. Didn't get over 50 MPH though for those of you concerned about drag racing with my family in the car. That kid was pissed because he had his 2 friends in his Jeep! What a blast!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:08 PM   #83
dandj

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan auto
I have been slightly dissapointed as I LOST SOME GAS MILEAGE WITH AMSOIL. It could be slightly colder weather but I doubt it. I dropped from 39 mpg to 38 to 36 mpg and the harmonic vibration seems worse. I do believe in synthetics but I was hoping for a slight improvment.
dandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 10:12 PM   #84
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandj
I have been slightly dissapointed as I LOST SOME GAS MILEAGE WITH AMSOIL. It could be slightly colder weather but I doubt it. I dropped from 39 mpg to 38 to 36 mpg and the harmonic vibration seems worse. I do believe in synthetics but I was hoping for a slight improvment.
Colder weather will make the mileage a lot worse.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50 AM   #85
Racer X-8
Races Little Red Wagons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS
Colder weather will make the mileage a lot worse.
Well, maybe up where you guys are. Down here in SC - no. I just now did some averaging to try to quantify this.

I own an Infiniti G20T. I've been keeping meticulous mpg logging ever since we bought it 6-28-00. So far, that's 283 fill-ups. My excel file calculates mpg for every fill-up. I just now averaged those mpg's for the winter period - the beginning of December thru the end of March. Then, I averaged those 6 averages. That averaged average for winter periods (december - march) was 0.1 mpg different from the overall average.

I guess, at least down here, it balances-out. The bad efficiency during warm-up is offset by the improved efficiency (when the engine has warmed-up) that you get with the cold, more dense air.
Old 10-12-2006, 12:14 PM   #86
Teruyume

Drives: 06 Yaris RS
Send a message via MSN to Teruyume
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsmitchell
As for the ATF, I think Toyota is using synthetic ATF already because there is no scheduled service interval for the ATF flush and fill.
the new yaris AT is using special toyota ATF, u must use the toyota ATF for it, or it break down and no warranty.

u will be able to do a ATF drain n fill at a Toyota dealership but it won't be recommanded.
GP Racing GR-6 15x7
Kumho Ecsta AST 195/50R15
Tanabe DF210
JDM LED Tail lights
Teruyume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 10:08 AM   #87
nsmitchell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teruyume
the new yaris AT is using special toyota ATF, u must use the toyota ATF for it, or it break down and no warranty.

u will be able to do a ATF drain n fill at a Toyota dealership but it won't be recommanded.
Yep, thats what I'm saying. The Automatics don't ever need ATF flush and fill... at least not a scheduled one, ever.

Last edited by nsmitchell; 10-13-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:22 PM   #88
pxpaulx

Drives: Barcelona Red 5spd sedan
just put mobil one in on tuesday this week. tank had about 100 miles on it and first bar dropped at about the average time. 2nd and 3rd dropped up a few miles early after the oil change, but now i'm still sitting at 4 bars on the gas guage w/248 miles on the tank...i think thats the best ever! we'll just have to wait and see for a few tanks to see if the synthetic helps out in the mileage dept. - i think the engine is just about broken in now too at 4400 miles. i'm excited!
pxpaulx is offline   Reply With Quote