Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Uber_Otter

Drives: Black XA not yaris but close
E3 plugs and AC compressor questions

I have an 2006 scion XA. Are there any gains to using E3 or any other type of plugs? And do you know if my AC compresser is used when using defrost? I can't tell. I have about 50k miles use 5-30 Syntec and have Syntetc royal purple in the manual transaxle.

Thanks
Uber_Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:36 AM   #2
BLH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan
My 2007 uses the AC Compressor when using the Defrost setting.
Yours maybe the same.
BLH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Otter View Post
I have an 2006 scion XA. Are there any gains to using E3 or any other type of plugs? And do you know if my AC compresser is used when using defrost? I can't tell. I have about 50k miles use 5-30 Syntec and have Syntetc royal purple in the manual transaxle.

Thanks
Yes, the compressor is automatically used when in defrost mode.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #4
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uber_Otter View Post
Are there any gains to using E3 or any other type of plugs?
Regarding plugs... if they are like the Yaris, then they are long life iridium tipped plugs which the maintenance schedule calls for replacing every 120,000 miles. (Not a typo.)

I would keep them. All that a spark plug can do is ignite the air/fuel mixture. And regular plugs do that *very* consistently. If they fail to do so even a small percentage of the time you will feel it as a pronounced "miss". (The seat of your pants is surprisingly sensitive to this.) Some manufacturers, and their marketing departments, get really gimmicky with certain of their product lines. But I really don't see how they could be any better than the plugs you have.

-Steve

Edit:

According to this application chart:

http://www.toyotaownersonline.com/pu...kPlugs0809.pdf

the 2006 Scion XA didn't come with the iridium plugs. So make sure to follow whatever your maintenance schedule says. When you do replace them, you might want to consider the iridiums, if available, for longer life. Though I would not expect any difference in fuel economy.

Last edited by sbergman27; 03-17-2010 at 03:58 PM.
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Uber_Otter

Wow, standard plugs with 50k miles running the cheapest gas I can find, i should see a improvment with almost anything at this point.
Thanks for the link Steve.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

If it's misfiring, the Check Engine Light will come on. You're OK.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
talnlnky
Audio Junky

Drives: 08 liftback
Send a message via AIM to talnlnky
i remember when my mazda started to misfire/not fire.... was running on 3 out of 4 plugs... oh man.. the car felt like it went from 120hp down to about 50hp. Was horrible, and my gas mileage tanked too.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM   #8
sbergman27

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaris Hilton View Post
If it's misfiring, the Check Engine Light will come on. You're OK.
And honestly, even plugs from the 60s were 100,000 mile plugs, requiring a little periodic cleaning and regapping, at most. I'm not sure that I've *ever* had a plug fail.

Heavy knocking *can* do physical, and very visible damage to them. But in that case, the plugs are likely the least of one's problems.

-Steve
sbergman27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 07:43 PM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Über, I ran pulse plugs in my 06 xb with 45k miles, I noticed quite a difference. With my 2.0L Rav4 I just pulled the platinums out at 110k miles and replaced them with NGK iridiums.

with the pulse plugs it seemed like the car ran a little more rough, but there was a performance gain.
changing from platinums to iridiums smoothed out my idle in the Rav4, runs smoother and quieter
Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
docB

Drives: '09 Yaris Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by talnlnky View Post
i remember when my mazda started to misfire/not fire.... was running on 3 out of 4 plugs... oh man.. the car felt like it went from 120hp down to about 50hp. Was horrible, and my gas mileage tanked too.
I had a Subaru Justy with a three cylinder and CVT. When a plug fouled, you would have thought the cylinder head was going to come off.
That car got over 49 mpg on a trip once.
You drummed up some fond memmories, thank you,
doc
docB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #11
Uber_Otter

I ressurect this post!!!!

Update, I now have over 75k miles I went with NGK g powers last summer. Because my XA shipped with ghetto plugs that were never changed I felt a HUGE difference. Since then they feel a little flat. I will be going with some E3 plugs and will let you know how they do.

Here's pictures of the original plugs, don't run 10k plugs for 50k. Be glad the yaris's ship with platinum.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2010, 08:19 AM   #12
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
WOW those plugs were toast!
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 01:26 AM   #13
Uber_Otter

Update! I swapped the NGK V-powers out at 75k, they felt flat. I put in some E3 plugs and I like them. "Snappy plugs" is the best i can describe. Little more power, a lot more smooth through the power band and they hit well at higher RPMs. They have about 10K miles on them and they feel the same as when I put them in. Can't give any verification on milage since I made some tire changes. They are hot plugs so they work good in our engines, I wouldnt put them in anything boosted or just high compression.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #14
Uber_Otter

Update, Scion XA is now at 100,000 miles. The E3 3.48s were in for 25k when the #2 cylinder started misfiring. Tested the coil and its fine, put in some cheap NGK V powers and its running great.

Here's the plugs. You can see #2 is darker from no fire. It seems to have a rust ring around the base of the ceramic. I will email E3 and see what they do. I liked the plugs, but we will see.
Attached Images

Old 12-23-2011, 07:50 PM   #15
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I would suspect something other than the plug if you have rust on it. Head gasket?
Old 01-06-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Uber_Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I would suspect something other than the plug if you have rust on it. Head gasket?
The guy at E3 said that the rust colored ring is normal. I shipped my 4 plugs to them and they said they will replace them. I will let you know what happens.

I saw no signs of coolant in the plug area. But I could have used more dielectric grease on it.

I reset the Check engine light by pulling the EFI fuse on the engine side fuse block.
Old 01-24-2012, 02:09 PM   #17
Uber_Otter

Got a response from E3 today. The #2 spark plug did test bad for them as well. Apparently there was a hole in the ceramic allowing it to arc out. They are shipping 4 new plugs. So I will put them in when I get them in.

Good response from them so far.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:00 PM   #18
Hershey

Drives: 08 Yaris sedan auto / Fit auto
Maybe you should have them test the new ones before mailing them . Let us know how if any increase of gas mileage , pickup , etc.. Did consider these for a riding mower . Still might give them a shot if the price is right . Good luck
Hershey is offline   Reply With Quote