Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-17-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Send a message via ICQ to Jem_hadar
Smile Magic Seats I must say I do love!

I must say, I fucking love a few things about the Honda Fit over my baby, 'Cara' (my Yaris).

First off, though, just wanted to make it clear that I fucking love my Yaris and am not bitching about anything about her here.

Just merely putting down thoughts I have. I've been helping my buddy Drew with his new car purchase, and he's looking at the 07 Yaris LE or 07 Fit LX.

And through helping him and giving him stats and figures and sources of info on both vehicles from when I myself was looking back in April, the qualities I really loved about the Honda Fit I am being reminded of all over again!

Still don't wish I owned one over my girl, Cara, but I must say two things re: the Fit that impress me more than their equivalents in the Yaris (though ONLY these two matters).

I absoutely fucking LOVE the "Magic Seats". Even though I'd prolly never use them to a real degree, save for once or twice a year camping or traveling to an annual 3 day outdoor rave we hit every year, I still think they are simply marvelous!

So handy and neat and cool, and SIMPLY and easy to use. Piece of cake. Plus the 60/40 STANDARD feature is nice. It's the one thing I miss in my LE and wish I'd wanted to spend the extra $$$ to get an RS to have that feature. The perfectly flat folding-ness is solid! Sleeping back there would be a dream -- if that's whut it came to (compared to sleeping in another vehicle, I suppose, not a bed or couch, of course).

And I do enjoy the little extra hatch space offered by the Fit over the smaller Yaris hatch area. The Fits is deeper too, which is VERY nice. Really liked that a lot when I saw and test drove one back in April.

Those two, three things are what I really truly respect and love about the Honda Fit. But in ever other regard I love my Yaris far, far more, and wouldn't trade her in for a second to get those options. The appeal of everything else is incredibly balance in the Yaris favour, which is why I chose my Yaris!

The Fit doesn't look particularly "youthful" or as "cool" as the Yaris does, IMO. I just fucking LOVE the way my Yaris looks from the outside and fucking LOVE it's interior layout too! Love that centre-mounted dash! I really dislike driving cars with it in the regular spot now.

Anyone else really appreciate those Magic Seats and kinda wish they had them on their Yaris, or that 60/40 FLAT folding was standard (or AT LEAST an option?), or that the hatch area was a tad bit bigger?

Lay it on... but please don't turn this thread into a pissing match for Yarii vs. Fits.

I'm with everyone and feel/know that I think personally the Yaris is a nicer vehicle in most or all regards, and the Yaris definitely suits me and my personality and what I want to be driving in life right now far more!!

P.L.U.R.R. tout le monde!

Jem
Jem_hadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:29 AM   #2
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
I'll 2nd the magic seat. Try carting around 2 sets of tyres and wheels in a Yaris?? No hope I'd do that without a big fuss. The Jazz is fantastic for moving tall and bulky items.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:50 AM   #3
twixt

Drives: 07 LB,04&06 ninja 636
Send a message via AIM to twixt
From looking at the honda website interior pics.. Im jealous that the seats have a "tall mode" and fold down completely flat... toyota missed out big here. Also i like that the front passenger can lay back flat, would come in handy in the yaris.
twixt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
Linkseal

Drives: DBA-NCP91
Send a message via MSN to Linkseal
Well...my 3 primary reasons which convinced myself to get a Yaris RS instead of Honda Fit Sport are:

1st, Yaris has DHOC VVT-I and Fit has SHOC I-Vtec, comparison in test drivin on most city roads and Hwy condition, Yaris seems to have more power and fun...and save more gas...(note: Fit is much heavier than Yaris...and Yaris have better controlling in corner since it is "fatter" and "less longer"...)

2nd, the feeling of construction and material is better on Yaris than Honda Fit, Fit's chairs seems so thin and little uncomfotable...

3rd, althrough Fit has "magic seats, Shift pandel on steering and other fantasic features and equipment, side airbag, but yaris i using 4-way on 4-wheel ABS+EBD (on RS model), electronic power steering and using chain instead of timeing belt, thinking of the maintain cost, Yaris might be cheaper..

but both K-cars are recommendated and fun to drive, it is just they have distinctive features and tastes... since I used to have Jazz (JDM Fit) in HK with sunroof also, I knew Fit is gonna be one of the best sellers in compact vehicles for sure, but I still love Yaris more... those are just some points I want to share here...you might not totally agree with...
Linkseal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:01 AM   #5
argylesocks
Bears eat beets.

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyTofu
I'll 2nd the magic seat. Try carting around 2 sets of tyres and wheels in a Yaris?? No hope I'd do that without a big fuss. The Jazz is fantastic for moving tall and bulky items.
i quickly tried 1 set in the back no prob.. i didnt think 4 bicycle wheels would be a prob... guess its the back seat.

u are talking bicycle wheels, right?
argylesocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 AM   #6
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
When I test drove the Fit, that was my favorite feature too. While I was looking at it several other people came over and everybody had fun messing around with them.

I still liked the Yaris better - more on styling than anything else.
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkseal
but both K-cars are recommended and fun to drive, it is just they have distinctive features and tastes... since I used to have Jazz (JDM Fit) in HK with sunroof also, I knew Fit is gonna be one of the best sellers in compact vehicles for sure, but I still love Yaris more... those are just some points I want to share here...you might not totally agree with...
Me too. Yaris won out (obviously). And I'm not sure how it was w/ the RS vs. the Sport, but the Yaris LE was a couple hundred to a thousand dollars cheaper to the comparably equipped Fit LX (I forget at this point exactly how much I saved, but that was something in favour of the Yaris too).

I wonder if a comparably equipped RS would have been cheaper than a Fit Sport too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violin
When I test drove the Fit, that was my favorite feature too. While I was looking at it several other people came over and everybody had fun messing around with them.

I still liked the Yaris better - more on styling than anything else.
Oh yes, the exterior and interior styling is what made me FALL IN LOVE with the Yaris. Its GREAT mpg and other nifty features were all icing on the cake. The Fit never moved me so... I just admired some of its superior practicality features.

Jem
Old 08-18-2006, 08:45 AM   #8
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Tall mode - SO COOL

Flat folded down mode (whatever Honda calls it)! Really cool too!

Intertior, dash, console

Im not NEARLY as impressed w/ the Honda Fit interior like I am w/ the Yaris. The Yaris interior just seems simpler, cleaner, more subtl and efficient -- which is why I love it more. The Yaris seems, i dunno, "less bulky" or something. I appreciate that.

Though I'm a massive fan of the colour blue and blue accents on things, I dunno, maybe the blue accents on the speedo and tach are just too "sporty" looking for me. I'm not a fan. I like the set up of the Yaris console better

FIT

VS

YARIS

Yaris impressions wins on the inside, and on the outside... like the quirky cute fun look of the Yaris exterior... it just yells "pep" in its appearance, where as I found the Fit to be less "young" in its appearance, it had a little more "mature" look to it... almost like a mini mini-van or something.

But damn, those Magic Seats

Jem
Old 08-18-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
my friend has the fit and i am amazed at how much space is in there with the seats folded flat (as he uses it mostly),
this is accomplished by the fact that the fit's gas tank is under the front seats, leaving a deeper space in the trunk area.
the tall mode is a nice feature too, but i don't think i would use it that often,

what i want most is the 60/40 fold flat seats, that would be enough for me.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
my friend has the fit and i am amazed at how much space is in there with the seats folded flat (as he uses it mostly),
this is accomplished by the fact that the fit's gas tank is under the front seats, leaving a deeper space in the trunk area.
the tall mode is a nice feature too, but i don't think i would use it that often,

what i want most is the 60/40 fold flat seats, that would be enough for me.
Aye, the the 60/40 fold flat is the key thing I wish I had in my Yaris.

Though the Tall Mode seats are cool, yea, I wouldnt see myself using it much, its just something I appreciate for its coolness and potential (for that very rare time you may happen to take advantage... but certainly I wouldnt use it enuff that it truly really matters to me at all)

Yea, them moving the tank up under the front seats are marvelous.... way to go Honda for that. Bc of that though, they're hatch area is also DEEPER than the Yaris', which is cool, bc thats like free extra depth the Fit has (and its hatch area is longer too...)
Old 08-18-2006, 03:09 PM   #11
07WYarisRS
HardlyDangerous

Drives: 09 Yaris LE, H/B, auto
I have the 60/40 flat folding seats in my RS and would not have it any other way. TONS of space in fact more then I need.

With the seats down I can fit in two 25 gallon air compressors, a few boxes of nails, several air guns and all my other equipment.

We are packing up for another camping trip the weeks end
I'll be hauling 2 outboards motors (3hp and new 9.9) all my fishing gear and boat gear, including 3 fuel tanks, 5 man tent, 3 man tent, sleeping bags for 4 people, inflatable beds, and air pump, lawn chairs, food, cloths you name it enough for a weeks camping trip.

I first pack what I can around the spare tire, then set the outboard engines in and the fuel tanks in between and around the engines (empty)
Then I lay a piece of plywood on top and pile the rest of my gear on that.
BWT two people can spoon in the back just fine LOL

I still like the FIT dash layout better but would not give up my Yaris RS for one....
a standard yaris ce maybe....
07WYarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 04:28 PM   #12
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07WYarisRS

I still like the FIT dash layout better but would not give up my Yaris RS for one....
a standard yaris ce maybe....
I dont think I like the Fit dash layout more than the Yaris's, but I do like its dash more than most other new cars I see of late.

They're appealing the Honda dash/consoles, and the Fit is no exception.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:31 PM   #13
stuffy

the only feature i really wanted that the rs model had was the 60/40 seats, so i couldn't justify spending another 3 grand for the seats, I didn't care for the side skirts, spoiler, the black interior, although the mp3-able cd player and aluminum wheels would have been nice, but not necessary for me.

i have ranted on this forum before, and dammit, i'm going to do it again:

why in motherf****ing hell did toyota only offer the 60/40 seats on the rs model?
Old 08-18-2006, 04:35 PM   #14
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuffy
the only feature i really wanted that the rs model had was the 60/40 seats, so i couldn't justify spending another 3 grand for the seats, I didn't care for the side skirts, spoiler, the black interior, although the mp3-able cd player and aluminum wheels would have been nice, but not necessary for me.

i have ranted on this forum before, and dammit, i'm going to do it again:

why in motherf****ing hell did toyota only offer the 60/40 seats on the rs model?
Im with you SPOT ON with your points.

The lacking 60/40 flat folding rear seats is the ONLY option I truly regret not having on my Yaris

Thats life I guess for me, as I couldnt warrant that extra 2000-3000$ extra either. Didnt want the bigger wheels, rims, spoiler, skirt, etc.

The black deck isnt bad, not sure which I like more. I like the silver one too, so black or silver CD player, and I was happy.

Its only those damn 60/40 split seats I wanted!
Old 08-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #15
weeze-dog

Drives: 2002 Ford Focus ZX3
The fit's shifter looks way better, hate the look of the yaris shifter.
Also the cruise control on steering wheel is alot nicer than the non-existent-except-by-aftermarket cruise control on the yaris.
Also the tall-mode rear seat is very nice, but hard to pull off on a two door car. The yaris really should be two full doors, and two rear-swing suicide doors like on the RX8, saturn ion, and dodge hornet concept. I think that would be ideal, as it would still retain the look of a sporty 2 door, but the functionality of a 4 door. A car this small doesn't need 4 full sized doors.
weeze-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:43 PM   #16
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze-dog
The fit's shifter looks way better, hate the look of the yaris
A car this small doesn't need 4 full sized doors.
I could go for that.

But i really love my 2 full doors! I just like a 4 door look. I didnt want the 2 Yaris for appearance reasons, as well as practicality... but as u said, 2 doors w/ those back Saturn doors would still be better than just 2 doors (and you'd retain pretty much the same image, if u like the 2 door image better still)
Old 08-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #17
stuffy

i think it is great with two full doors, especially with a young one i am always throwing into the back seat,
and personally, i like the look of the 5 door more than the 3 door.
Old 08-19-2006, 10:51 AM   #18
Jem_hadar
MORDSITH

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeze-dog
The fit's shifter looks way better, hate the look of the yaris shifter.
I dont really like the look of the Fit shifter better, I think the Yarii shift looks more minimalistic, which really appeals to me.

The Fit one looks more standard and i guess more like one Id see in some muscle cars, compared to the look of the Yaris's... but I was never one for that typical look

And I'm with ya Stuffy, I like the look of the 4 doors better than the 3 doors