Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 07-19-2007, 04:02 PM   #1
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
SO I RAN OUT OF GAS THE OTHER DAY

FIRST time too for me. i drove around for 2 1/2 days with the light blinking and ran out on the highway. good thing for me it was by my job and i was able to get someone with a gas can.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:05 PM   #2
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Well it's good to know that I can go a few (or more) miles with that last little bar blinking before I run out. THANKS! hahahaha, sorry to hear that though. Good thing you were by your work.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #3
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
When that last dash starts blinking I get nervous.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
I don't trust that digital gas gauge.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
sherryberry

Drives: 07 Blazing Blue Yaris
Send a message via AIM to sherryberry Send a message via MSN to sherryberry Send a message via Yahoo to sherryberry
I have yet to get it to blink.. I go down to 2 bars and i fill up.. hey, how many miles before you ran out? how many miles do we get from that blinky thing before our yaris is dying of thirst?
sherryberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 04:52 PM   #6
swng

Drives: 06 3-dr auto RS
Sorry to learn about that. Can you describe how did the car behave shortly before and just after it finished the last drop of gas? Did you have enough time to move to a safe spot and stop there to wait for help?
swng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM   #7
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Yes, and is it easier to push a Yaris or just pick it up and carry it?
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM   #8
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
I don't trust that digital gas gauge.
The LB Yaris gauge is not digital...it's analog!
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:00 PM   #9
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
The display is digital, the mechanism is probably of the PWM variety which is analog
No, you are wrong again....since the LB Yaris gas gauge shows bars, these indicators are ANALOG, not DIGITAL...you wrongfully think that just because the display is an LCD, that it is digital...this is wrong thinking...for that gauge to be digital, it would have to show NUMBERS!

I have Master's in Electrical Engineering, by the way ;-)
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:51 PM   #10
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
When you ran it dry you should have had it dragged to the nearest gas station to see how much fuel a Yaris can really swallow.
TTE Lowering Springs, Camber bolts
TRD Blue brake pads
Fujitsubo Super Wagolis axleback exhaust
DC Sports header
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 10:25 PM   #11
Meteorite Man
Passin' The Gas...Station

Drives: Same As You But Different
Send a message via Yahoo to Meteorite Man
Mmmm...Mmmm...Mmmm..., Love them 7 Segment Decoder Chips. A little dip or maybe a nice melted 3 cheese blend. Even served with a Yo-Hoo and maybe a side of Slim-Jims. Now your talking! Name:  wave wave.gif
Views: 1001
Size:  655 Bytes

Ok, now you college boys are talking some stuff. To me it sounds like chinese with a few letters missing. I never knew we had the blink blink "Bingo" fuel light till I witnessed it. I pulled right into the next station and filled 'er up. That will never happen again.

Is the fuel pump mounted in the tank on the Yaris? I've always tried to keep atleast a 1/4+ tank in my truck to keep the pump cool. The gasoline does the cooling part.

Carry on with your book learning talk and I'll sit back and try to learn something. Name:  Banana.gif
Views: 993
Size:  3.0 KB

Chuck

Chuck
Meteorite Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:07 PM   #12
petesimac

Drives: Yaris LB
Digital television displays a picture, not numbers.
petesimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:57 AM   #13
fnkngrv
Mr. 155 and climbing

Drives: Seriously Modded 07 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by petesimac View Post
Digital television displays a picture, not numbers.

I have run out of gas 3 times now. The first time it happened as it should have...I had the single blinking bar....I got 59 miles before it croaked....it was 1 in the morning and I ran out literally under a mile to the gas station (no I was not dumb and engineered this...I missed the last gas station on the freeway by 2 minutes after closing and they didn't have card readers on the pumps). The car coasted a few hundred feet easy and that was going up a slight incline. I had been going 75mph when it died. The second time it happened my gauge read at 3 bars. I was stumped and very pissed off. I called the local dealership (120 mile round trip) and they didn't believe me. They said to bring it in, but since I didn't purchase there they would not give me a loaner and wanted my car for 2 days so I couldn't swing it. The third time happened about 3 weeks after the second and the gauge had just rolled down to 2 bars. I was like WTF is this shit??? Anyway, I got it in to the dealer and they said that they reset my systems and it has been about three months with no incident. I have taken it down to blinking a couple times since without issue.

Youtube Channel: Team Tiamat Racing

Class record holder in Land Speed @ 154.5mph for 1.5 mile and 145.5mph in the mile in the F (2.016 to 3.014 L), G (1.524 to 2.015 L), and H (1.016 to 1.523 L) classes.
fnkngrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:12 AM   #14
Imagine
Insert sarcasm here.

Drives: 2009 Black Pearl Sand 3Dr
I hate LCD guages like this. My motorcycles use the same things, they just bug me. I'd rather have a needle style gauge. If I put gas in mine shortly after it starts blinking it usually takes about 9.5-10 gallons to fill it up. I've waited many of times for the fast blinking to start, which is usually around 10-10.5 to fill up.
Imagine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:26 AM   #15
nsmitchell

Drives: LB-Auto-PWR-ABS-Cruise-Springs
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Makes two of us.

wow so by your reasoning everything DIGITAL has to have numbers right? well the basis of DIGITAl is 1 and 0 and as an example a binary clock doesnt show numbers just bars/dots/lines. also most car makes still use analog inputs and convert the data into digital form. its called ADC and sampling

the gauge display is digital since its probably BCD coded to display the bars, the mechanism is analog im not arguing that , but the DISPLAY itself is digital, they dont turn off gradually, each bar comes on 1 or off 0, we could be sitting here arguing till we're blue in the face but until we see the schematic of the gauge display you and i could both be wrong or right. Im sure your familiar with the 7 segment decoder chip , also it can have an ADC to take the level mesurment and convert it into bar display.
I would agree. On and Off does indicate binary which is digital.
The analog reading is digitized into 8 bars.

BTW - I don't much care for the gauge either.
nsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 03:46 PM   #16
death is my gift
wacky broadway nightmare

Drives: Willow is a '07 Red Yaris LB
Send a message via AIM to death is my gift Send a message via MSN to death is my gift Send a message via Yahoo to death is my gift
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigal View Post
When that last dash starts blinking I get nervous.
OMG, me too! Especially when I am driving my favorite writer around the metroplex.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 PM   #17
ROCKLANDTOYOTA
JOE GIRTH

Drives: YARIS 3DOOR
its funny cause i was about 2 miles from the rest stop where i was headed to get gas(cheaper gas in jersey) and wifey says to me the light was blinking. i laughed and said maybe i should turn off the a/c cause its been blinking for 2 days now. as soon as i turned off the a/c the car started bogging down when i tried to accelerate and i got a little scared cause im doing 75 in the fast lane on a major highway and all the car wants to do is COAST over to the shoulder....... and for the post about refueling i put 11.3 gallons in after getting help from my boys....
Old 07-29-2007, 06:19 AM   #18
naossoan

Drives: 07 Yaris 3DR
when my last bar starts blinking, I have about 6 litres left, which is ~1.5 gallons which with my average milage of 39mpg that should theoretically give me another 50 miles - 100km. But, I dunno. I don't want to risk it. I always just fill up the same day or next day that the bar starts blinking :)
naossoan is offline   Reply With Quote