Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

View Poll Results: Should I remeve the NST bushing kit before having the clutch replaced?
Leave the NST bushing kit in the car during service 9 36.00%
Remove the NST bushing kit before bringing the car in 16 64.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Clutch getting replaced; questions

As you may or may not have read in the "clutch shudder thread," the dealership is putting in an all-new clutch (disc, flywheel, throw-out bearing). I have about 24,000 miles on my car. (Same thing happened to my '05 xB at nearly the same mileage.)

I have the full NST shifter lineup on the car, and I'm a bit worried about the dealership tossing out the NST bushing kit in the engine bay, since it's a non-stock item (I'm afraid they'd junk it and put in new parts not knowing).

Do you think I should remove it, or just keep it in there?
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #2
06silveryaris

Drives: 2006 yaris
I would take it off. Dealers look for anything to get out of warranty work
06silveryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 07:28 PM   #3
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
I would say keep them in there, since they pretty look the same as OEMs. Just let them know and you should be fine (I would be surprised if they refused to work under warranty because of some bushings).

Are you getting an OEM replacement clutch? I got the ACT Stage 1 and it rocks... A bit harder than OEM, but lots of fun to use.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:48 PM   #4
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk-421 View Post
I would say keep them in there, since they pretty look the same as OEMs. Just let them know and you should be fine (I would be surprised if they refused to work under warranty because of some bushings).

Are you getting an OEM replacement clutch? I got the ACT Stage 1 and it rocks... A bit harder than OEM, but lots of fun to use.
The bushing don't look the same; the OEM ones are black rubber, whereas the NST ones are shiny metal.

I am getting a stock replacement clutch, since they'll foot the bill. My car doesn't need any more than that (I just run a different intake and axleback).
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 AM   #5
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I would put the stock stuff back in. Don't give them any reason to hassle you if you can avoid it.
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:35 AM   #6
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
id leave it in seeing as they probably DON'T know the difference between the two.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:04 PM   #7
Thirty-Nine

Well, here's a thought: Will they necessarily need to remove the linkage to replace the clutch? (Might be a dumb question, but I'm not sure, honestly)

FYI, I was looking over the service sheet they gave me yesterday, and it says the car has a warped pressure plate.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:23 PM   #8
toyotatech

Drives: toyotas
make sure its on your work order and youll be fine...but make sureee its on there,that is your guarentteeee

i wouldent doubt your pressure plate is warped,they wouldent have wrote something like that down if it wasnt...ask to see for yourself if you doubt them.
toyotatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:25 PM   #9
toyotatech

Drives: toyotas
[QUOTE=tk-421;428728]I would say keep them in there, since they pretty look the same as OEMs. Just let them know and you should be fine (I would be surprised if they refused to work under warranty because of some bushings).
QUOTE]

wont be an issue at all, and if it is, take it into a more reputable toyota dealership.
toyotatech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #10
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I don't think that assembly comes out to drop the clutch, but I can't remember for sure.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:55 AM   #11
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I don't think that assembly comes out to drop the clutch, but I can't remember for sure.
Yeah; I'm thinking if they saw the pressure plate was warped, they probably already took out whatever they needed already. I'll probably just leave it.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:19 PM   #12
metalshark
MetalShark

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Clutch change out

I changed the clutch on my wife's corolla. I made a bridge across the shock towers out of 2x4s to support the engine while I dropped the tranny. It was a real bitch of a job. Your lucky your dealer will cover it.
Absolutely red, Drawtite hitch, CAI, Insulated Header, Amsoil 5w-30, Mag-drain plug, Red-Line MT-90 tranny oil, Scotch-Guard, Window Tint, Dash rug, Custom short throw shifter, Lowered OEM arm rest, Super-Turbo muffler/w chrome slash cut tip., TRD rear sway bar, sticky pads, front shock tower bar, RS grill badge, VVT-i emblems, Second tire set from Tirerack.com, DISABLED DAY TIME RUNNING LIGHTS, platform- style locking custom bike rack. 86K miles so far. 5 years use now on ceramic wrapped insulated stainless-steel header.
metalshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:59 AM   #13
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
man, i wish i could change a clutch!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM   #14
Thirty-Nine

Well, I'm still debating. Unfortunately, I'm kinda running out of time since I've been working a lot. I also have the K&N intake system on the vehicle; I hope they don't mess that up, either!

I'm just trying to think whether or not they'll even need to disconnect the linkage to change out the clutch ...
Old 01-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
ROCKLAND TOYOTA
TRIM HUNTER

Drives: 2007 BLAZIN BLUE YARIS 3 DR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
I'm just trying to think whether or not they'll even need to disconnect the linkage to change out the clutch ...
kinda depends on tech doing job. each guy has his/her own way of doing things. from what im told they wouldn't have to take apart that linkage if it was done here.....

TOYOTA PARTS AT A DISCOUNT........
ROCKLAND TOYOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:02 AM   #16
Thirty-Nine

Thanks for checking; I appreciate it!
Old 01-05-2010, 02:38 AM   #17
yaris2010RS

Drives: no-longer-boosted '10 Yaris
it will have to be removed if they do it properly. to change a clutch the tranny needs to be removed. it is a serious job. i did it once, never again. left wheel assembly needs to go away and if ure good the transmission can be slid over to the left, didn't know that so i ended up putting it right down to the floor, either way, yes that needs to be removed. i doubt they will say anytihng
Old 01-05-2010, 09:23 AM   #18
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
As you may or may not have read in the "clutch shudder thread," the dealership is putting in an all-new clutch (disc, flywheel, throw-out bearing). I have about 24,000 miles on my car. (Same thing happened to my '05 xB at nearly the same mileage.)

I have the full NST shifter lineup on the car, and I'm a bit worried about the dealership tossing out the NST bushing kit in the engine bay, since it's a non-stock item (I'm afraid they'd junk it and put in new parts not knowing).

Do you think I should remove it, or just keep it in there?

Regarding those bushings, do they improve the vague feeling of the shifter? And how much more vibration (buzz) is tranferred back through to the stick with the rubber dampening gone?

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutch