Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
AgentOzone

Drives: Red 09 Liftback 5D
GPS antenna / bluetooth mic questions

Okay, two questions..

So I recently upgraded the stock HU to a Pioneer Avic F-700. I haven't found a good solution for mounting the GPS antenna or the mic for bluetooth. Keep in mind I'd like everything to look as clean as possible so no clipping the mic to the visor.

I read on the Yaris secrets area of the forum that the front overhead lights have the little "vents" in them because it's the same as the Prius and that's where the bluetooth mic is located. Has anyone popped it off to see if there is room to mount a mic?

The other option I figure is drilling a hole in the dash like this:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48727
It looks alright but I wonder about the quality...

As for the GPS antenna I wanted to get a shark fin antenna that was AM/FM/GPS but couldn't find them actually available. Does anyone have experience with these or is there a better place to put the one it came with other than just setting it on the dash?
AgentOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:59 PM   #2
AgentOzone

Drives: Red 09 Liftback 5D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
is your antenna magnetic? which kind is it flat?
Yup. It's the same one as that picture ^^
AgentOzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 AM   #3
Geology

Drives: 2009 5 Door Carmine Red
I was curious about the little vents for the microphone in the ceiling unit in my Yaris. The dealer told me that it is a mic for the bluetooth, which isn't available for the 5door yet.

Is there a way to get into that thing?
Old 12-18-2008, 10:50 AM   #4
Desperauto
The Old Man

Drives: 2008 yaris HB black sand pearl
I mounted my GPS antenna inside the air vent between the hood and front windshield that way it no one can steal it. Ran the wire threw the fire wall and placed the unit in the air vent.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
IsLNdbOi

Drives: Polar White - 5 Door '09 LB
I recently got a Pioneer FH-P8000BT and am looking for a good place for the microphone as well.

I don't really want to put the mic. in the same spot as the one pictured above. Doesn't look like a good place to put it.

Anyone have any other ideas on mic. placement?
IsLNdbOi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
i thought the holes by the map light on the roof is made for a mic ?

just slide your fingers in there and pull.. the map light will come out.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
IsLNdbOi

Those little vent holes in front of the map lights would be a horrible location for a microphone. It would pick up lots of ambient noise UNLESS you use a microphone like Sony's ECM-CZ10 super directional microphone. It wouldn't fit in there anyway.

Just saw this pic. on a Nissan forum:

I need to use the Metra double-din dash kit with my Pioneer HU. I'm going to try placing the mic. in the driver side piece of the dash kit like in the pic. above.
Old 12-19-2008, 01:19 AM   #8
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB
make sure you hold the pic where u r gona place it and test it. make sure it works well there. they seem to be pretty directional if that makes sense. i mounted my antenna on top of dash in corner near a-pillar and blue tooth mic up near domelights. i have the same mic and antenna. my deck is the avic-z2

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:21 AM   #9
sportin83

Drives: 2008 blazing blue yaris LB

mods: custom sub box, i hit 141.4 db, new speakers, double-din nav, foglights, cruise, CAI, strut brace, under car braces, short antenna, remote start, alarm, actuators in doors and hatch

coming soon: window tint, custom sub grills, tach and........
sportin83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 01:34 AM   #10
IsLNdbOi

Ah, now I see how those vent holes next to the map lights work. I just checked and I'll have to scratch that mic.-mount-in-the-dash-kit-idea. The mic. that comes with my Pioneer P8000BT has a mic. in the front (the holes on the front of the mic. to get your voice) and a mic. in the rear (small holes on the back of the mic. so the head unit can pickup and cancel out ambient noise).

Sportin83, does your mic.'s clip allow you to change the left / right angles of the mic.? The one that comes with my Pioneer FH-P8000BT only allows me to change the down / up angles.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:40 AM   #11
IsLNdbOi

Stayed up all night trying to find a place I liked for the mic.. Finally came up with a solution after a couple of hours:

I tried mounting it on the visor, but I use the visor alot and flipping it open would pretty much make the mic. unusable. I tried using velcro to mount the mic. to my rear-view mirror, but it didn't work out well.

So, I took my Xacto knife and cut a slit in the headliner along the part that goes upwards right at the edge where the visor closes. The slit was just wide enough for the mic.'s clip to slide into and to route the mic. cable into the headliner and down the A-pillar.

In this position, the mic.'s front element for capturing my voice is fully exposed and aimed at where my face is when I'm sitting in the driver's seat and the mic.'s rear elements for capturing ambient noise are fully exposed.
Old 12-21-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Violin

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB Auto
I'm not so happy with the microphone that came with my JVC bluetooth kit. People complain abot hearing an echo (their voice over the speakers). Is there a better option?
Violin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #13
IsLNdbOi

Good microphones to try are ones that have a mic. on the front for voice and mic. on the back for ambient noise. Not sure if your head unit has to support the ambient noise filtering feature of that type of mic. though.

Another good one is the Sony ECM-CZ10 super directional mic.. Place this mic. wherever you want (making sure it's aimed at where your face is when you're sitting in the driver's chair).
Old 12-21-2008, 05:43 PM   #14
Violin

Thanks. Mine looks just like the one you have.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
IsLNdbOi

Does it have the slots / openings in the rear for the rear mic. element? If it does, the entire microphone needs to be in open air so that it can pickup ambient noise and the HU can process that out.

If it doesn't have the slots on the rear try using a super directional mic. like the Sony ECM-CZ10.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:53 PM   #16
The LPT

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan Aero Package
putting the mic by the lights by the rear view mirror works. Thats where mine is installled.
The LPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:25 PM   #17
Violin

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsLNdbOi View Post
Does it have the slots / openings in the rear for the rear mic. element? If it does, the entire microphone needs to be in open air so that it can pickup ambient noise and the HU can process that out.
Yep same as yours. Do you not have the same problem?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:16 PM   #18
IsLNdbOi

I've been using the bluetooth speakerphone feature of my Pioneer P8000BT alot in the past week and haven't had any problems.