Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2020, 03:25 PM   #1
sellis

Drives: 2009 hatch
Moving front wheels forward to clear large tires

I have a 09 Yaris daily driver that gets worked hard. I run large tires to get around off road and through snow.

It has 2" lift in rear with spaces under springs. 1.75" lift in front with struts spaced down with shock extensions. Fender liners removed and fender and bumper cut. Bottom lip of frame in front of wheels rolled under. Tie down loops removed from behind front wheels. Metal pushed in behind front wheels.

Running 215/70 15 studded snow tires. They just rub enough at lock to hear them. Want to get all terrains but hard to fined what I want in 215/70 or 205/75. If I go to 215/75 there is a good selection like kO2s. 215/75 will rub frame at lock. If I space them out they will rub at back when turning. I need full suspension travel at lock with minimal rub.

Solution, move front wheel forward 3/8" and out 3/8". This would be done by cutting control arm and extending. Axels will still work. I have looked but didn't find anyone that has tried this.

So I'm inquiring if anyone has done anything like this to clear large tires.

Last edited by sellis; 05-07-2020 at 09:34 AM.
sellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #2
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
It's too bad CTScott isn't around much at all anymore, he would have been a big help to you. Search his posts and marvel at the spectacle and wonder that is "Crashy the Yaris."

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
Leegamer

Drives: No longer own a yaris :(
Why not just use bolt on spacers to move the wheel out?
Old 05-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #4
sellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leegamer View Post
Why not just use bolt on spacers to move the wheel out?
If I just move the wheel out with spacers then it increases the rub at rear of wheel when turning. If I move the pivot point out by lengthen the control arm it doesn't change space at rear but already had to push the rear of wheel well in for the 215/70 15 as they were rubbing slightly while turning under hard acceleration. The 215/75 15 have .4" more sidewall so moving the wheels forward and out will definitely help.

The wheels move back and forth quite a bit under hard acceleration and braking and gets closer at full spring compression so a little extra space will help
Old 05-06-2020, 11:01 AM   #5
Jason@SportsCar

Drives: 2015 H Production Yaris
Whiteline use to offer a set of caster adjustment bushings that replace the rear control arm bushing. By pushing the rear bushings outward you pivot the control arm forward, providing additional caster, and perhaps the clearance you are looking for.
Old 05-07-2020, 09:33 AM   #6
sellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@SportsCar View Post
Whiteline use to offer a set of caster adjustment bushings that replace the rear control arm bushing. By pushing the rear bushings outward you pivot the control arm forward, providing additional caster, and perhaps the clearance you are looking for.
Interesting. Seems they are no longer available for the Yaris.

Looking at some for other cars I see it would have moved the mount out about 1/4" which on a Yaris would move the wheel forward the same. I would still need to space the wheel out 1/4" to clear frame and that will use up most the space gained from the bushing while turning. Still thinking easiest way to get good clearance is to extend the control are forward and out. Would love to have clearance for tire chains but that doesn't seam at all practical.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:45 PM   #7
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Drives: 07 Yaris rs 3 door 2zr swaped
I'm running the 215/75/15 ko2's. 2 Inch wheel spacers did it for me.

You're kinda right with the theory about extending the distance from the turning point. But if the wheel only turns, for example, 40°, the wheel will only turn 40°regardless of distance from pivot.

Look at a small protractor. Semi circle, about 3 inches tall at its peak. The degrees are very close together on the border of the protractor. Say 1mm apart. But if you extend those lines they become 2mm apart. It's a further distance from one to the other, but it still only 1° apart from its center.

I do rub very slightly on full lock, but it's a more than adequate turning radius. I believe it turns sharper than my lowered yaris. Possibly due to its widened track?

Xd/2zr-fe Swap/Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61427

Bolt-in 3.75" Suspension Lift Build Thread
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61577
myfirstyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
sellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
I'm running the 215/75/15 ko2's. 2 Inch wheel spacers did it for me.

You're kinda right with the theory about extending the distance from the turning point. But if the wheel only turns, for example, 40°, the wheel will only turn 40°regardless of distance from pivot.

Look at a small protractor. Semi circle, about 3 inches tall at its peak. The degrees are very close together on the border of the protractor. Say 1mm apart. But if you extend those lines they become 2mm apart. It's a further distance from one to the other, but it still only 1° apart from its center.

I do rub very slightly on full lock, but it's a more than adequate turning radius. I believe it turns sharper than my lowered yaris. Possibly due to its widened track?
Thanks.

Set of 215/75/15 ko2's on the way so will find out soon. I have some rub at frame with 215/70/15 now. The KO2 will be .4" more side wall and I believe a little wider tread as they don't round in as much as what I have.

I think you are off in your analogy. Adding spacers increase the distance from the pivot point to the outside edge of tire tread. That will cause the issue at bottom A pillar when turning. Especially with tire at upper travel.

I will keep this updated with my findings. I prefer not to add spacers if possible but will see what works beast.
Old 07-01-2020, 04:29 PM   #9
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

Where abouts in Canada are ya?
You're more than welcome to come look for your self if you're in the area

Old 07-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #10
sellis

Thanks! but I'm in Nova Scotia so a little far to just drop by. :)

Still waiting for my tiers to ship from PMCtire. This will be my 3rd attempt at getting K02. Apparently they are getting hard to fine in small sizes. Canadian Tire actually had the best price but then couldn't get them.
Old 07-02-2020, 06:18 PM   #11
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

KAL tire had to ship mine from B.C. they said.
Good luck!

Old 07-03-2020, 10:50 AM   #12
sellis

Just got notice my tires shipped. :)

Was getting worried. In the past PMCtire has shipped very quick.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:28 PM   #13
sellis

Tires on. :)

Rear was fine. Cut about 2" off bumper at bottom up to nothing about 3" from top. Also had to roll a lip behind tire. With light hammer work it can be flattened easily. Still have full wheel travel without rub.

Front wheel rubs at back when turned hard. Can't backup at lock. I am going to move the wheels forward by cutting part way through the control arm and bending forward. Once I confirm position works I will remove them and weld properly.

Last edited by sellis; 07-10-2020 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:06 PM   #14
CrankyOldMan
2ZR swap. DO IT! Ask how!

Drives: 09 Meteoric Metallic HB
CrankyOldMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 09:00 PM   #15
sellis

Haha.

I have to say I am very impressed with these tires. Quiet, handle great, sticky in the corners, roll easy. I live on a ruff dirt road and ride is better. I am coming from studded snow tires though so may be easily impressed. Other than feeling like you are starting in 2nd they are great. Once it gets rolling it is fine. Speedo is out 16%
Old 07-15-2020, 04:58 PM   #16
myfirstyota
3 Yaris and counting..

You can expect highly decreased fuel economy too. I think I'm somewhere around 9-10L/100km with my driving style

Old 07-16-2020, 06:28 AM   #17
sellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstyota View Post
You can expect highly decreased fuel economy too. I think I'm somewhere around 9-10L/100km with my driving style
Oddly it is better than my old tires. I was getting around 9 before with 215/70 studded snow and now seem to be getting around 8 after adjusting for tire size. Running 35psi and before they were always low as had slow leaks.

I will see what it works out to after a few tanks of gas. They do seem to roll easier.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #18
sellis

Getting a steady 8L/100km so super happy with that.

Friend and I picked up two engines and brought them home over bad roads. Rear suspension was close to the bump stops and rubbed the rear tires at front on dips in the road. Tire moves forward on top most of the travel. Was very overloaded but hardly notice with the tires.

Cut a little off the tread tips. Will need the lip rolled in just a bit to stop cutting. Won't cut that tire again. Left side didn't cut, only rubbed. I will roll both next time the tires are off.