Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-15-2007, 09:57 AM   #1
ex-jazz lover

Drives: black mica yaris s a/t limited
Question yaris turbo in europe since 2003

http://car.kak.net/Article841.html
do they sell the turbo kit separately?
ex-jazz lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
OglyYaRiS

Drives: Yaris
I'm intrestead in knowing as well...
OglyYaRiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:38 AM   #3
kwiken

Drives: turbo vios 1NZ-FE
turbo

I have a Toyota Vios which is made only in Thailand.It came out in 2004 as a limited edition as is only 600 were made and only for the one year.It has the same mods to the engine and suspension as the Yaris.My Vios has wider tyres 16ins 7.0J205/45 R16.The mods all came from the European design for the Yaris although modified by Toyota Team Thailand and only claim 143 ponies@6400 and a max torque of196@4400 and only 8.1 0-100KPH.____I love this car and cannot fault it but would like someone to tell me how to get an extra 15-20 more hp without piggy backing,re mapping,or anything that has to do with putting it on a dyno.All I want is a safe/cool temp 160hp.At the moment the limiter kicks in at about 205 kph but feels like wanting to give more.Another problem is it is designed for min 95 oct fuel.In thailand they use a lot of Ethonal based Gasahol which claim 95 oct. but I am not sure if it can be used on a tubo(any ideas)
kwiken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:51 AM   #4
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Sawasdee! Very cool to see a Vios Turbo owner here, be ready for a lot of questions from everyone

The easiest way to extract extra horsepower out of a turbo is to raise the maximum boost. I am not sure what kind of boost controller is used with yours, but it is probably a fixed pressure one. There *may* be an adjustment screw or something, but it would be best for you to change for an aftermarket boost controller, as you can tweak the settings from the cabin, without needed to get under the hood each time.

We asked arto (TRD Thailand) about putting this turbo setup in my car, but they say this 143hp is the maximum safe power you can get out of it without strengthening internals. But, guys in the US have managed around 180hp with turbo (find the posts by the member turboyaris here), seemingly without problems, so it *should* be safe for you to raise that boost a little bit. Only one way to find out!

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:54 AM   #5
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Drives: Yaris 1.0 Sol 5 doors liftback
Send a message via MSN to Sabina74
In Italy Yaris Turbo is not allowed...
In all European Community it's not permitted to have...
I wanted to but it froma Swiss boy but i couldn't drive in Italy with it!!!!
Sabina74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:52 AM   #6
kwiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
Sawasdee! Very cool to see a Vios Turbo owner here, be ready for a lot of questions from everyone

The easiest way to extract extra horsepower out of a turbo is to raise the maximum boost. I am not sure what kind of boost controller is used with yours, but it is probably a fixed pressure one. There *may* be an adjustment screw or something, but it would be best for you to change for an aftermarket boost controller, as you can tweak the settings from the cabin, without needed to get under the hood each time.

We asked arto (TRD Thailand) about putting this turbo setup in my car, but they say this 143hp is the maximum safe power you can get out of it without strengthening internals. But, guys in the US have managed around 180hp with turbo (find the posts by the member turboyaris here), seemingly without problems, so it *should* be safe for you to raise that boost a little bit. Only one way to find out!
I could raise boost pressure but with the 10.5:1 comp ratio of the 1NZ-FE it would give me a lot of heat and gets into re mapping zones (I think).What I am after is a catback exhaust,cold air intake and similar mods that could possibly get more cold mixture in without extra boost.After all I am only after 15-20 hp.I am sure there are a lot of ways to gain 1 or 2 hp(lightening rotating masses etc.) until they add up to the desired h.p.without taking risks.This is a hot mostly humid part of the world and do not know of any local tuners that put reliability above peak performance.They can sure make fast machinery over here but I don't have as much faith as I would in a European or American/canadian tuner for reliability.Plus the breakdown in communication factor of speaking a foreign language has a lot to do with wanting to do most of the work myself .____I believe the first Yaris turbo with these specs came out of Switzerland but have not been able to find any sites that have any modifying techniques on them.Any ideas on Gasahol?
Old 04-16-2007, 07:00 AM   #7
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I see what you mean, this climate is not always so good for engines, I have a friend with an RX-8, those rotary engines run hot normally, but over here, it's scary! I gather you are not Thai yourself?

Anyway, yes of course, a good intake and exhaust will contribute more power, I've seen lightened crank pulleys for the Vios.

As for gasohol I'm really not sure how bad or good it is, I know many people with performance cars are complaining, but I think we'll need information from more knowledgeable people about that

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-16-2007, 07:15 AM   #8
kwiken

As you gathered I am not local but love driving quickly.All the local people at garages just tell me to suck the Gasahol and see.Any chance of pointing me to a local shop that has on the shelf mods from reputable companies for sale.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:20 AM   #9
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

If you're in Bangkok check out Autocar on Srinakarin road, right next to Seacon Square. They're a bit pricey but they have a lot of stuff under one roof, and the staff is helpful and knowledgeable.

Bye bye 1NZ...
Old 04-16-2007, 10:50 AM   #10
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabina74 View Post
In Italy Yaris Turbo is not allowed...
In all European Community it's not permitted to have...
I wanted to but it froma Swiss boy but i couldn't drive in Italy with it!!!!
No modding of Engines in Italy? That just seems Blaphomous, with all the high end Italian sports cars running around
Old 04-16-2007, 10:56 AM   #11
Sabina74
Yaris Lover!!!

Drives: Yaris 1.0 Sol 5 doors liftback
Send a message via MSN to Sabina74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
No modding of Engines in Italy? That just seems Blaphomous, with all the high end Italian sports cars running around
i agree!
but i think it's a matter of pollution....! this car has not the right engine comply with european community instructions.
Sabina74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 11:17 AM   #12
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I am sure there is a way to Turbo it, and keep it emmisions friendly... you just need to find the right shop
Old 04-16-2007, 12:03 PM   #13
kwiken

Quote:
Originally Posted by eTiMaGo View Post
If you're in Bangkok check out Autocar on Srinakarin road, right next to Seacon Square. They're a bit pricey but they have a lot of stuff under one roof, and the staff is helpful and knowledgeable.
I'm in Ayuthaya but know Seacon Square well from Racing go-karts at the track in between the square and the golf driving range.Have'nt been in the area for 6yrs or so but am sure I can find it.Thanks for the help.____I seam to remember there being a dyno for the drifting guys on the entrance end to the track.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:08 PM   #14
Katana

Drives: Yaris LB 1.3lt 06
Send a message via MSN to Katana Send a message via Yahoo to Katana
You can find the Yaris Turbo only in Switcherland.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:18 PM   #15
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
TRD Thailand "only" puts out 143bhp on their Turbo Vios, probably because they have to sell the car with a warranty, whereas Turboyaris's car doesn't have that sort of implication. Similarly with Blitz's supercharger kit, the gain in HP isn't big because they have left the internals and the compression as stock.

You can maybe try NA-style mods such as doing a cold air intake, and a free-er exhaust pipe, better spark plugs, and maybe octane boosters for your fuel.
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #16
otech

Drives: Yaris T-sport Turbo
i got me one of those.. and its sick!

im from Sweden and there are about 40 of them here.
otech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 05:10 PM   #17
Vic-2NZFE

Drives: Yaris 2NZFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by otech View Post
i got me one of those.. and its sick!

im from Sweden and there are about 40 of them here.

Do you happen to have any pictures of your car BTW?

It's a Vitz!
Vic-2NZFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2007, 12:29 PM   #18
otech

Drives: Yaris T-sport Turbo
here u go...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 46337fa25b284.jpg (116.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg 46337fde9ffe0.jpg (128.7 KB, 37 views)
otech is offline   Reply With Quote