Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-23-2010, 08:35 PM   #145
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Drives: C300 / Del Sol
Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
No I dont know anything lol

That its why I am asking I am wanting one of these as well
JumpmanYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 08:37 PM   #146
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Send a message via ICQ to JumpmanYaris Send a message via AIM to JumpmanYaris Send a message via MSN to JumpmanYaris Send a message via Yahoo to JumpmanYaris
So according with toy it can play DVDs while the car is in movement?
Old 09-23-2010, 08:39 PM   #147
Dragracer
Yaris Noobie

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 Door
His quote!

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy_toronto View Post
It is plug 'n play on my hatchback, should be the same for the sedan but I'm not 100% sure.

I did not have to do anything special with the wiring, you can say it's already "rigged' to play videos while driving.

-toy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpmanYaris View Post
So according with toy it can play DVDs while the car is in movement?
Old 09-23-2010, 09:26 PM   #148
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

Old 09-24-2010, 12:13 AM   #149
daveprue
My Pride & Joy...

Drives: 2010 Yaris 5 Door LB
Installed and running

Well, it arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I installed it Tues night. Needless to say, I have been spending a lot of time sitting in the driveway and playing.

Yes, it will play dvds while driving, unless you wire up the optional parking brake wire, and configure the software to monitor the signal.

So far I am very impressed. The fit is absolutely perfect. The mounting brackets from my stock radio went right onto the unit, and it looks as good or better than the original factory unit.

The GPS software is far and away better than my previous external Garmin unit.

It has a slot so that you can plug a micro-SD into the front, and I grabbed my 16 Gig chip out of my phone, plugged it in and it plays all my mp3s, my mpgs, etc.

As I have time to use it more, I will report back anything that I see as less than perfect, but have noticed nothing so far. In my book, $425 (shipping included) is a steal for this unit.

daveprue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 12:17 AM   #150
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Awesome!!!

My christmas present this year will be one of these units.

Did you get it from the ebay seller?
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 05:39 AM   #151
eijikikimaru
Q(','Q)

Drives: 3dr Meteroite
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm getting the one Toy has, so I should be able to watch away! Now if I could just rig up something so I could play video games while driving. :/
I don't know if you want to play video games while driving, but you can set up your video game system. You just need to figure out how you'll power the game system :p
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3257fabc.jpg (79.0 KB, 474 views)
eijikikimaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:49 AM   #152
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Drives: 2010 5-Dr
correct. thanks Dragracer and eijikikimaru for supplying the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveprue View Post
Well, it arrived Tuesday afternoon, and I installed it Tues night. Needless to say, I have been spending a lot of time sitting in the driveway and playing.

Yes, it will play dvds while driving, unless you wire up the optional parking brake wire, and configure the software to monitor the signal.

So far I am very impressed. The fit is absolutely perfect. The mounting brackets from my stock radio went right onto the unit, and it looks as good or better than the original factory unit.

The GPS software is far and away better than my previous external Garmin unit.

It has a slot so that you can plug a micro-SD into the front, and I grabbed my 16 Gig chip out of my phone, plugged it in and it plays all my mp3s, my mpgs, etc.

As I have time to use it more, I will report back anything that I see as less than perfect, but have noticed nothing so far. In my book, $425 (shipping included) is a steal for this unit.

Congrats Dave, show us some pics of your dash :)

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
toy_toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:53 AM   #153
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
I'm getting the one Toy has, so I should be able to watch away! Now if I could just rig up something so I could play video games while driving. :/

(lol, actually i'm pretty sure that you aren't )

My Garage.. 'Mild' Drop & Misc..2-DIN GPS/Navi..DIY:Rear Wiper Delay..Ramps/Roll-Ups..Rain Sensing Wipers / Auto-Headlamps
Old 09-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #154
daveprue
My Pride & Joy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleey0 View Post
Awesome!!!

My christmas present this year will be one of these units.

Did you get it from the ebay seller?
Yes, this is the one that I got: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The main reasons that drove me to this (pun intended):
  1. Bluetooth speaker device on the visor
  2. GPS unit hanging on the winshield
  3. iPod in the console
Now everything is in a single unit. I loaded up a 16gb microSD with some of my favorite mp3s, and everything works great.

The biggest plus for me is the bluetooth. Previously I had a motorola unit (rechargeable) that hung on the visor. When my phone would ring while driving, I would realize that I forgot to turn on the speakerphone before I started driving. Watching TV at home, I would realize that all my calls were going to the speakerphone in the driveway which I forgot to turn off.

This unit automatically connects to my phone when I start the car. It automatically disconnects when I turn off the car. It automatically mutes the stereo when a call comes in (by the way, the GPS also mutes the stereo when it gives driving directions).

So far, everything works just as I would have designed it myself, which is good because the learning curve is short (also good because the manual is in broken english).

Soon I will post pics.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:45 PM   #155
sleey0

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
Too bad there isnt a watered down version.

All i want is gps really.
"And that goes for any of you, never get put down from someone who gets jealous of you; build it and prove them wrong. There will always be haters and naysayers but those are also the ones who's cars are worth less than my seats."

xbgod - 9/23/2010
sleey0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #156
JumpmanYaris
USAF_SrA_E-4

^ When I get this I can sell you my GPS for a 100 Shipped
Old 09-24-2010, 07:24 PM   #157
daveprue
My Pride & Joy...

Pics of my install

Here is the unit installed, powered down.

This is the Main Menu. You get this by pressing the "Source" button. One thing I really like is that at powerup, the unit goes directly to whatever mode you were in when you powered down. When I come out of the grocery store, the unit picks up playing my mp3 exactly where it was when I parked.

This is the FM Radio Mode. The reception is equal or better than my stock HU was. I am no audiophile, but the sound seems great.

This is the GPS Mode. I love that the GPS mutes the music when it gives you voice prompts. The map data is far better than my Garmin unit was, it even includes speed limit information for many roads, and (if you enable it) the voice alerts you that "You are exceeding the speed limit".

Bluetooth mode. I love it. It connects to my phone when I start the car, and disconnects when I turn the car off. My cellphone never leaves my pocket. In experimentation, I have been told that the mic "sounds a bit tinny", one friend of mine said that it might be the "little car" that is causing it...

This is PIP mode (Picture in Picture). In this instance I have the FM as the primary screen, and the PIP frame contains the GPS. You also have the ability to set "2 Zone" mode, so that you can direct one output to the video out (think headrest screens) while displaying a different mode on the main screen.

Finally, this is the mp3 mode, reading from the microSD card inserted on the lower right of the unit.

Anyway, I know this is a lot of pictures, but I tried to give a representative smattering of modes etc. If there is anything in particular that someone would like to see, let me know.

My primary worry, when buying the unit, was how "OEM" it would look installed. I really did not want weird spaces around the edge, or the faceplate not matching the bezel. If you have those worries, don't! It is at least as good a fit as the original unit.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:46 PM   #158
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
This is a pretty clean looking install, I think I am going to look into installing one in the RAV
Old 09-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #159
lunatik

Drives: Toyota Yaris 2007 5dr
Quote:
Will this fit in a 2007 Yaris?
lunatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #160
daveprue
My Pride & Joy...

Fitment

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunatik View Post
Will this fit in a 2007 Yaris?
Do you have a pic of your panel? Do you have an integrated stereo? If you have a "normal" 200mm double din then it should fit fine. If you post a pic of your panel then I can tell you definately.

Old 09-24-2010, 11:36 PM   #161
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Cannot wait to get mine ordered. Now I just need 400 bucks. :)
Old 09-25-2010, 12:20 PM   #162
toy_toronto
always toyin'

Quote:

This is PIP mode (Picture in Picture). In this instance I have the FM as the primary screen, and the PIP frame contains the GPS. You also have the ability to set "2 Zone" mode, so that you can direct one output to the video out (think headrest screens) while displaying a different mode on the main screen.
Nice job Dave

Looking at your photos it almost feels like you ripped the HU right out my dash and stuck it on your Yaris